Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Apple software update – OS7 any good ?
  • rigid_carbon
    Free Member

I am tempted to ‘upgrade’ my iphone 4S to the new OS7 but have read only bad reviews.
    Has anyone tried it and liked it ? The general google search tells tales of woe ??

Dan.

transporter13
    Free Member

No problems here using a 5.

mrmo
    Free Member

I have a 4s and run 7.02, which i think is the most current version. no issues at all, battery fine, no crashing. I prefer the look to ios6.

I know it is boring but it just works.

Sorry if you want a horror story.

rigid_carbon
    Free Member

No, I want good vibes.
    I was thinking people can only bothered writing about it if its giving them a problem. If it works fine people don’t tend to comment.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Using 7.0.2 on a 5 and also on a 4, which I occasionally use as an audio recorder. It was a little slow on the 4, so I turned off the parallax and low-contrast buttons and it’s acceptable now. Not sure I’d like to use it as my main phone, though I guess that’s irrelevant since you have the 4s. As you say, people tend only to post with their complaints – I doubt that you’ll have any can’t-live-with issues.

torihada
    Free Member

I’ve got a 4S. Since upgrading my phones battery has proved to be drastically reduced; I’m only getting 3/4 day if I’m lucky. This is since upgrading to 7. I’ve switched off all the battery draining apps, refreshes etc.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s fine. It’s primarily a visual update, so some like it, some don’t, but that’s down to personal taste. There are a few nice touches and new to Apple features, but other than that it’s all good i think. I’ve not noticed an issue with battery life compared to the previous iOS, but have turned off the auto update feature.

GrahamS

4S here, and missus with a 4.

Both of us like the new iOS. Works well on both.
    Nice new look and a few very welcome new features (control center and auto-updates).

Only thing I dislike is the new Calendar app which sucks.

swavis

I have a 4s and have updated. No issues at all, no difference to battery life and it’s a lot brighter with a couple of nice new features.
    My only gripe is trashing messages as opposed to just deleting them 😉

MarkLG
    Free Member

I’ve done my iPad and iPhone and like it. Brighter, cleaner display and a few nice improvements.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Many others out there upgrade a 4 yet? Still useable?

wrightyson
    Free Member

It will melt my 4! Plus it’s still on 5.1 so has the old maps which still piss all over the new ones!

Jamie
    Free Member

but have read only bad reviews.

Links?

Kuco

I upgraded my 4 and wish I didn’t, seems slower and seems to use the battery more.

Sandwich

Wrightyson Google Maps is available as an app for iOS now, not just the old web app version.

khani
    Free Member

I’ve found it a bit like getting a new telly, in the beginning it’s all different and a bit better, but also a bit irritating and confusing.
    Then after a bit once you get used to it, you’re just watching telly..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like it but my 4 is struggling with it and can be quite sluggish. I don’t find calendars that bad, but I thought the previous calendar app was just as shite. The photos app works nicely now and photo streams looks much better.

GrahamS promised me it would run Flash. He lied. Again. I fall for it every time. 🙁

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Can anyone give any real positives to the new IOS rather than it just being a new IOS?
    I only ask as when I had the 3GS the “lastest” IOS just borked the thing.

Cheers.

Alphabet

4s here on iOS 7.0.2 with no problems. Took me a couple of hours to get used to the new look and feel but now I prefer it to iOS 6.

GrahamS

Can anyone give any real positives to the new IOS rather than it just being a new IOS?

For me, aside from the Calendar app, it is all positive.

If you want some particulars then:
    – new Photos app does nice job of automatically grouping photos into a zoomable stream of Years/Collections/Moments organised by date and location.
    – new control centre is good. Makes it much easier to use the phone as a torch or quickly set an alarm.
    – the new task switcher is nicer. Quicker to shut down background apps and handy to see the apps when flicking through
    – likewise Safaris handling of tabs is better, as is the combined search/address bar and the ability to open the same pages you have open on another device.

chiefgrooveguru

I upgraded my 4 and wish I didn’t, seems slower and seems to use the battery more.

Same here. Plus I don’t like the way Safari manages tabs and I don’t like how slow it is to switch email accounts on and off.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

GrahamS, thanks, but they really don’t mean much to me, so still holding back despite that horrid ‘1’ on the settings tab/screen.

GrahamS

I don’t like how slow it is to switch email accounts on and off.

?? What do you mean switch them on and off? What is it you are trying to do?

GrahamS, thanks, but they really don’t mean much to me, so still holding back despite that horrid ‘1’ on the settings tab/screen.

Fairy nuff.

Personally I can’t see any good reason to hold back if you are on a 4S or better (my missus has no complaints on her 4 but clearly some people do).

But hey, it’s your phone. 🙂

smokey_jo

It’s so slow on my 4 that I’m off to Android as soon as Google let’s us know what’s going on with their next phone.
    If it wasn’t suitable for the 4 they should never have released it for it without offering a way of going back to 6.

GrahamS

If you are finding it that slow then I’d suspect something is wrong smokey_jo.
    Missus’s 4 is fine to use. It’s not quite as slick as the 4s but it doesn’t struggle (and trust me she’d let me know if it annoyed her!!)

Have you tried doing a complete wipe and restore via iTunes?
    That often help sort out glitches. Usually a good thing to do after a big upgrade.

chiefgrooveguru

?? What do you mean switch them on and off? What is it you are trying to do?

I often turn off my work email account out of hours so I get a proper break. If there’s a better way of avoiding those emails then I’d like to know!

somafunk

Works fine on my 4, despite a cracked screen and duct tape holding the back together, not noticeably any slower and i’m happy wi the battery life but i did fit a new one a few months ago – then again i only use it to make calls, listen to music/podcasts, very little safari browsing and i don’t use apps apart from viewranger so i can’t really comment on if it’s slower or not.

GrahamS

I often turn off my work email account out of hours so I get a proper break. If there’s a better way of avoiding those emails then I’d like to know!

Hmm. So you want email alerts/pings while at work, but you don’t want them for your work email when not at work, though you still want them for personal emails presumably?

Dunno. Can’t think of a good way to do that.

You can certainly change the notifications for each email account in Setting->Notification Centre->Mail, but I don’t think there is any way to trigger it automatically based on time in the same way as Do Not Disturb works.

Guess you could set the Fetch time to Manual for your work account – then it will only check for new mails when you open Mail and go to the account.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Got it on my wife’s and like the visual improvements and a few small touches elsewhere. No trouble whatsoever with batt life or bugs.

Waiting to see if a jailbreak appears before upgrading mine.

smokey_jo

I’ve never had to do a reinstall of any other Linux based OS due to bloat out crud build up so what have apple managed to do to their version?

Itunes you say, not if I don’t really want to get in a bad mood. I guess I’m just all out of love for iOS and I’m ready for a change, now come on Google (or Motorola-would love a droid mini actually!)

GrahamS

I’ve never had to do a reinstall of any other Linux based OS due to bloat out crud build up so what have apple managed to do to their version?

No idea but it does seem to help sometimes. To be fair I suspect your other Linux-based OSes aren’t running 24/7 off a small flash drive and battery.

At a guess I’d say doing a full restore might sort out flash trim, fragmentation and errors?

Itunes you say, not if I don’t really want to get in a bad mood.

Never really understood the iTunes hate. Works fine for me on the rare occasions I use it (mainly for backups and IOS upgrades).

bamboo
    Free Member

No problem on my 4 whatsoever.

smokey_jo

Itunes puts me in a bad mood as I don’t have a Windows or a MAC – Linux only here 🙂

GrahamS

Ah that would do it right enough 😀

Get a proper commercial OS you communist. 😉

somouk
    Free Member

Smokey_jo, could you not virtualise a Windows XP machine to run iTunes on for the times you have to use it?

To answer the OP, IOS 7 is fine, looks prettier than 6 and has some nice new features. No battery life issues here on a 5 and 4S.

hammyuk
    Free Member

If you don’t want to hear pings, etc then just hit the “Do Not Disturb”….

GrahamS

Hammy: my understanding was that at certain time he wants to hear the pings from his personal email, but not from his work email.

There doesn’t seem to be an easy way to set that up other than going into Notification Centre and changing the notifications each time.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Apple software update – OS7 any good ?’ is closed to new replies.