Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • apple – small(er) new phone
  • Del

apologies if done.
    hurray!
    a new smaller phone! not because I want one, but because I want more android manufacturers to build smaller phones with better specs.
    running a sony z3 compact at the mo, and it’s quick enough, and kind of OK on usability.
    but it ain’t half fragile, and there are some quirks to the way it behaves that still irk me.
    but mostly i’m not happy with it cos it’s fragile.
    ‘get a case’ yeah yeah. i bought a smaller phone cos i want smaller, not so i can make it bigger with a case.
    i never broke my htcs. well, apart from the one that was in my pocket, when i went in the canal. 😳
    which theoretically the sony could survive, expect the fricking case is broken again. 😕
    more choice for smaller phones!
    anyway, that’s all. 🙂

GrahamS

Yep works for me.

I’m still using an iPhone 4S and one of the main reasons (besides money and it still doing everything I need) is that I don’t really want a bigger phone. A 5 might be acceptable, but a 6 is just too big for my needs.

seadog101

Pricing is not small, well at least over here…
    US$399
    £360…
    Seen us coming!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kcal

only recently went from a 4S that was getting bit tired – sold while still fetched some cash – went for 5S. No was – as per GrahamS – I would take a 6..

warton
    Free Member

Yep, i have a 5s, and it’s just right, so I’ll happily get the SE or whatever its called with 64gb…

Drac

I have a 6 and 6+ the 6 is a lovely size.

CountZero

get a case’ yeah yeah. i bought a smaller phone cos i want smaller, not so i can make it bigger with a case.

A case doesn’t need to be huge to give protection, all you need is a plastic clip-on case to protect the edges, and a glass screen protector, the total increase in size will be barely a millimetre per side; thats all the protection my old iP4 has, and my iP5, the 5 has glass protectors front and rear, as well as the thin plastic case, which I had on it when I dropped it a month after I got it walking down a steep country lane and watched it cartwheel four or five times, the only damage was a tiny mark on the base.

US$399
    £360…
    Seen us coming!

Don’t forget the 20% VAT in the UK, in the US sales tax is on a state-by-state basis, and can be as little as 8%, I believe.

slackboy

US$399
    £360…
    Seen us coming!

The pricing seems reasonable to me. iphone 6s specs but about £180 cheaper and £20 cheaper than the (outdated) phone it replaces.

Looks like apple attempt to capture the androd mid market space. They’ve got me considering one to replace my nexus 5.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pricing is key new feature rather than size. Its 30%-ish cheaper than the 6S but has I understand very similar processor spec levels. Looks to me like Apple is taking on the ofher manufacturers now on price too. IMHO this is a big and bold move

PrinceJohn

Totally agree – the last 2 phones I’ve had have been a Sony Z1 compact & a Z5 compact, because they’re both decent spec phones & will fit in my hand.

Oh – & they’re reasonably waterproof so happy to take them riding

kcal

It’ll then have access to Apple Pay and such like which – I think – is harder with the 5S, is that right?

Cougar

Cracks me up.

Apple last year: “we’ve released a new phone, and it’s bigger”

Consumers: “fantastic, that’s just what we wanted!”

Apple this year: “we’ve released a new phone, and it’s smaller”

GrahamS

thats all the protection my old iP4 has,

My 4S just has a crappy film screen protector (2 for a quid at Poundland). Survives fine in the pocket of my jeans (and doesn’t bend if I sit on it!)

The only time it sees a case is when I mount it on my bars as a GPS.

GrahamS

Different folk want different things?

The size of the 6 and 6+ has never appealed to me

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Pricing is key new feature rather than size. Its 30%-ish cheaper than the 6S but has I understand very similar processor spec levels. Looks to me like Apple is taking on the ofher manufacturers now on price too. IMHO this is a big and bold move

I think it’s Apple dipping it’s toe into the 4″ water again. If the 5SE does well, then they will more than likely design and launch an all new 4″-ish phone round about the time the 7S is here.

Apple this year: “we’ve released a new phone, and it’s smaller”

….or maybe some people wanted a bigger phone, and others didn’t. Crazy I know that consumers are not just one homogenous mass.

Anyway, where is Mike with his laser guided insight into all things Apple?

callmetc
    Free Member

small and touch screen don’t work out all that we’ll in my opinion.

currently using an s6 edge plus. wouldn’t mind another half inch of screen if I’m honest.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

You cant reinvent the wheel, but you can change the size as we all know

Cougar

Joking aside, I applaud it. If they can start a trend for tiny, powerful phones then I’m happy. I have a (ok, crap, but still) tablet, I don’t need or want a handset the size of Switzerland.

EDIT: It’s identical in size to the 5S it seems.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

small and touch screen don’t work out all that we’ll in my opinion.

currently using an s6 edge plus. wouldn’t mind another half inch of screen if I’m honest.

And this is the beauty of the situation. You can get that bigger screen, and for those who prefer smaller phones to slip into their skinny jeans, they now have a viable alternative to well….I guess the 5S and the Z5 Compact. The latter I was probably going to get to upgrade my venerable 5S until this announcement.

I would have liked to have seen a redesign, but one benefit is that all my old cases, GPS mounts etc will still fit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

NEW shiny thing make everything all better, say clever science man yesterday.

Thing have telly!
    Science man say shiny thing is telly and books. And good for seeing photos of you and everyone, and also naked people who do mucky things.

Science man say shiny thing ‘changes game’ and now all the other science men must go away and be sad.

Science man say: “All things everyone have are rubbish. Look! Telly and books! That will be £400 please thank you.”

Nikki, a girl who has had 27 birthdays and works in a big building, say: “Oooooooooh. It do telly. I will see telly on it and make it help me buy nice hats.

“And look! It fit in bag where I have keys and little talkie box and red goo I put on face.”

Tom, all grown-up man from busy place, say: “I very busy man who need see telly on big metal tube that take me to busy job.

“But look! It also play game! I play noisy game on metal tube and be happy.”

And Bill, really, really old man who sits in chair all day, say: “It make words happen by pointing at it. Oooooooooh.

“I will make it help me say clever words to newspaper about gypsies and Pakistan.

“AND IT DO TELLY!”

Mash.

Drac

Is Captainflasheart really Saxonrider?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No. I’m Joe Cocker. And so is my wife.

🙂

(Really can’t understand the throbbing semis that people get over a new shiny thing.)

ourmaninthenorth

One thing that maybe hadn’t been picked up is that the 5S will continue (for now – assuming it will be dropped come the usual September release). Apple aren’t ranging it on their site, but other channels (mainly the networks + CarphoneWarehouse) will continue to sell it – price point is cheaper than SE (which itself is cheaper than 5S currently).

Interesting move by Apple – moved the attainabity of Apple devices down the value chain but, as usual, allows them to keep tight control over their precious brand.

Drac

Really can’t understand the throbbing semis that people get over a new shiny thing.

Gadgets are ace.

verses

The main thing that has struck me about this announcement is that we’re talking about it after it’s been announced.

Previously we’d have had multiple threads about it in the week(s) leading up to the announcement.

For once I was totally unaware that a new model was being announced. Am I out of touch and I’ve missed all the chat, or has the buzz died down this time around?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

For once I was totally unaware that a new model was being announced. Am I out of touch and I’ve missed all the chat, or has the buzz died down this time around?

No-one really cares.

I am relatively up on my Apple stuff, but this passed me by as well, and given what was plopped out of the presentation, I can see why. Nice little phone, but didn’t need a presentation.

GrahamS

Really can’t understand the throbbing semis that people get over a new shiny thing.

Really? Not even skis? 😉

To be honest I don’t think many people are terribly excited about this phone. It’s just an interesting move market-wise.

But generally speaking gadgets are ace and we live in an age of technological wonder.

johnners
    Free Member

But generally speaking gadgets are ace and we live in an age of technological wonder.

Ah, that explains the happiness and contentment that pervades modern society.

z1ppy

I have to add, I viewed the rumors with suspicion, but am pleasantly pleased by the SE. I don’t want a bigger handset, I have tablet for that, & I am surprised at the more reasonable (hey it Apple) pricing. Will ‘probably’ be my next phone, not yet but when my 5 dies. Though the likes of the Xiaomi Mi 5 Pro on it way, the market may be shaken up further (price/spec wise, not screen size)

Drac

🙄

Given the amount of publicity and anticipation all over social media meant as a tech fan I heard about this months ago.

dragon
    Free Member

Seems a bit of a u-turn to me, trying to re-capture market share and move people off old iPhones. Expect to see support for old iPhones dropped pretty quickly now.

zippykona

If it goes flat do they trust us enough to slip the cover off and put in a new battery,or are we not worthy of that honour?

verses

Given the amount of publicity and anticipation all over social media meant as a tech fan I heard about this months ago.

I used to go seeking out the announcements and didn’t have to look too hard. Then for the last few years there’s been general chatter that made me aware announcements were coming. This is the first time I’ve not known it was happening. Not sure if it’s me or just generally less “buzz”…

Drac

I don’t think I’ve ever owned a spare battery for a phone.

This is the first time I’ve not known it was happening. Not sure if it’s me or just generally less “buzz”…

Well it’s you. The rumours have been around for months.

GrahamS

Never said it did. The growth in technology is the wonder of our age, in the same way electricity, combustion engines and steam were the wonders of previous ages.

But if you are looking for universal happiness and contentment then you’ll need to look elsewhere.

Not sure if it’s me or just generally less “buzz”..

I don’t think it is just you. The rumours have been bouncing around the tech sites for ages but even Apple seem to recognise that this is a fairly low key release.
    We haven’t seen the usual Apple PR bombardment of “This change everything. Again.” style messages, because it really doesn’t.

Drac

We haven’t seen the usual Apple PR bombardment of “This change everything. Again.” style messages, because it really doesn’t.

The big announcements will be September the March ones are always small.

zippykona

I don’t think I’ve ever owned a spare battery for a phone.

That is why there is a whole section of society that as soon as they enter a cafe look for a plug to charge their phone.
    When my niece comes to visit she spends the whole evening sitting on the floor by the plug so she can look at her phone.
    A spare battery fits in my wallet and I don’t even know it’s there. I can’t imagine why any phone of whatever kind doesn’t have a battery you can’t swap.

Drac

That is why there is a whole section of society that as soon as they enter a cafe look for a plug to charge their phone.

Not something I’ve had to do.

GrahamS

Why faff about swapping a battery when you can just attach a battery pack?

Haven’t quite a lot of smartphones moved towards non-swappable batteries now? It avoids quite a lot of potential failure modes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why faff about swapping a battery when you can just attach a battery pack?

Why not just make a battery that lasts longer in the first place?

In the rush to be “smart”, that appears to have been forgotten!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘apple – small(er) new phone’ is closed to new replies.