Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Apple Rage
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I bought a tiny little bluetooth audio receiver from eBay for £9 for the car, and it works brilliantly. Also works with headphones since it’s battery powered.

Only problem is that it has to be turned on manually. But when I do that the phone automatically turns to drive mode and then I can do everything by asking Google. Even play Amazon Prime music!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Have you ever updated the iDrive software?

yes

oikeith

So your mate drives a car with out of date technology ie no Bluetooth

and you ‘forgot’ that the iphone 7 actually comes with an adaptor to allow you to plug it in?

The adapter lives in my car on the end of my jack to jack cable, the bluetooth quality in my car is awful. Maybe keeping it in my wallet might help, but there are times I go out without it, if they did a keyfob version that would be excellent.

The car in question is a new-ish VW thing, he had the choice of engine with more power and less gadgets or less power and more gadgets. He went for the power and less gadgets, at least it gets you home from rides quickly!

My music collection in iTunes is the only thing keeping me attached, but this is because of the playlists, the music I have the physical files for. The switch would actually just need me to recreate some playlists if I think about it…

nealglover
    Free Member

Maybe they should build the adaptor into the phone so that no one would ever forget it or lose it?

Maybe iPhone XI?

Cool idea. They could build in other obsolete technology too.
    Maybe a MySpace app
    Or a 1megapixel camera.
    Or maybe a 3 1/2” floppy drive.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Which version of bluetooth? I’ve had bluetooth on every car for the last ~12 years. Some wouldn’t connect to apple, some wouldn’t connect to android, or at least, not all android. HTC was ok, Samsung was ropey and Sony/Sony Ericsson was useless. All using slightly different set ups.

Oh, and updating the car didn’t mean they all connected, it just swapped everything round, so you still struggled with some. And some years were worse than others. i.e. when the new bluetooth standards on phones (12-18 month product cycle) and cars (3-4 year product cycle) got so far out of sync that the in car stuff was no longer supported. (Really, you should see some of the hardware some manufacturers used to fit, antique almost. Some cars even still come with CD players 11!!11!!111!!11one)

I suppose that is as the in car entertainment manufacturers are pretty much on the same development cycle as the phone manufacturers. So unless you bung a brand new aftermarket stereo in every couple of years, you’ll start to lose functionality.

Thankfully it’s all calming right down now.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cool idea. They could build in other obsolete technology too.
    Maybe a MySpace app
    Or a 1megapixel camera.
    Or maybe a 3 1/2” floppy drive.

Now if they could get it to run Flash… 😀

muggomagic

The switch would actually just need me to recreate some playlists if I think about it…

Google play music will copy all your playlists in iTunes too so……
    The cheaper option might be to buy another adaptor and leave it in your mates glove box rather than buy a new phone and as a couple of us have mentioned pretty much all manufacturers are dropping the headphone jack so when you next upgrade you might find your options are limited anyway.

GrahamS

Some cars even still come with CD players

Six CD multi-changer under my passenger seat PLUS a slot on the main stereo!

Currently rocking a full collection of Roald Dahl audiobooks 😆

DezB
    Free Member

“Hey Siri <pause> Play some music” worked! Almost. It was silent until I pressed a couple of buttons on the radio thingy unit. So, after a combination of voice control and old skool knob pushing, sounds filled my car 😀
    iPod is still better.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Stilltortoise – you need to code EBT
    Unless you have ProNav you won’t have the option to play on standard Nav.
    Easily done in about 5mins with a lead

CountZero

There are plenty of cars fitted with USB, but it’s 0.5W power, and can’t charge any modern smartphone, so the bloody battery goes flat, so in order to keep the phone charged I use a 12v adaptor; except mine wouldn’t work in the Golf I drove back from Cornwall today, requiring me to plug the phone into an Anker powerpack to use my satnav.
    At least I had a DAB radio with 6Music in the car…

olly2097
    Free Member

People talk about a Samsung like it’s the only rival to the iPhone.

People don’t seem to understand android.

I own an S8 but have owned various android phones. Loads of choice out there

newrobdob
    Free Member

My iPhone 7 charges fine in the USB socket in my Focus.

zippykona

I don’t understand why apple can’t make a range of phones.
    Big fat phone with a huge battery would be a start.

cranberry
    Free Member

“Apple rage” .. früher:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AedhvS7pG0[/video]

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I can’t believe anyone would sell their car and take a depreciation hit if hundreds or thousands of pounds over Bluetooth. Not only stupid but unnecessary. I had an smax that couldn’t play music over its BT system. I didn’t by a new car, instead it spent about £15 on a 3.5 jack to bluetooth dongle, plugged the jack into the aux socket, connected to the BT dongle and hey presto, music over BT. Worked fine for years. Thinking about getting one for my bose qc25 headphones to connect them to my iPhone via BT.

Siri is very useful, I dictate messages and email to it a lot and works very well. Not completely perfectly but requires a lot less faffing than trying to over ride spell check and mistyped words. It’s also good at making calls for you.

My kids find it funny to ask it silly questions and mostly it provides silly answers as it recognises a silly question and mostly understands it and provides a silly answer.

bigrich

my home computer is a new iMac, my work computer is a bells and whistles macbookpro, I got one of them timecapsules.

my phone is android.

only one of these I pay for with my own money, everything else is work supplied.

iphones are shit.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m an android guy but I don’t think Iphones are that bad. The only reason I use Samsung is because I have 64gig of music all in personally named folders and iTunes is such a pita to sort them out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

zippykona – Member

Profit, they have a market and following of people who will buy what they told and ignore and technical failings (or tell everyone they are features) they have no need to address things they don’t want to.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why would they put the effort into that? They’ve already got more money than Croesus, why the hell would they care? They aren’t about giving customers what we want – they are all about pushing their own (or Jobs’) vision and getting us to want that. So if Apple don’t want to make a thick phone with 3 days battery life, we ain’t getting one.

kelvin

I don’t understand why apple can’t make a range of phones

Do they only make one handset now? Did I miss when that happened?
    Fewer models is wise for many reasons… only really annoying a few geeks.

kennyp
    Free Member

Since getting the 7 no more than a few months ago this is almost a weekly occurrence which drives me potty!

And yet somehow, life goes on.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The car usb thing is likely down to the cigarette adapter. Some pull way less current than others. anker is where it’s at.

winston
    Free Member

Apple do make several phones. Whilst as can be seen from my earlier post I am not a fan, my wife is. She has some fancy huge iphone for work which she doesn’t really like as its too big but has just got herself an iphone SE as a personal phone. Its cheap small has a long battery life and 128gb memory.

wilburt
    Free Member

Steve Jobs built Apple by putting the tech narks who criticise users back in their boxes.
    He’s dead the geek are back in charge. **** em I’ll have my 6 till it dies then buy a Walkman and they will all be back coding for PC’s.

PS I am not alone iphone sales have been down for six quarters. iPhone 6 owners are holding on for a decent phone. Crunch time now as the latest
    OS update has crippled the six and there’s still no phone with a headphone jack.
    Hence Sony marketing the ZX.

Really pleased for the iPhone users who can get by with Bluetooth or little adaptors but many of us don’t want to spring a grand then compromise.

muggomagic

I have been using Bluetooth headphones and in the car since having a nexus 4 and feeling that the jack was in the wrong place and I find it more convenient than being plugged in anyway. So I’m obviously in the minority of people that have not missed the headphone jack.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Apple Rage’ is closed to new replies.