Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Apple Pencil – any point?
  • Kryton57

Pun intended 🙂

Seen one for 2/3 rrp, and am wondering if its worth buying to use with my work ipad, used as mini LT with Onedrive & Office plus Note taker in meetings.

Is it useful or just an expensive gimmick?

zilog6128

It’s awesome… do you have an iPad Pro though?

somouk
    Free Member

I thought they only work with the pro devices?

If you have a pro then i’d have one just to get the best out of the device.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I bet Paul Allen has one.

Kryton57

I do have a pro

If you have a pro then i’d have one just to get the best out of the device

What is that – the best – exactly?

somouk
    Free Member

The ability to use it to its designed potential.

Cougar

Pun intended

Damn. I’m out.

Drac

I grabbed a one as an ebay bargain, it makes the Pro come alive.

Seriously though it allows you iPad to become a great note taker, handy for doodling too works brilliantly in are programmes for and is superb for Photoshop malarkey too.

Superficial
    Free Member

It is phenomenally clever and works brilliantly. I haven’t used mine for months.

Onzadog
    Free Member

^similar to our experience with an expensive apple magic mouse.

maccruiskeen

Is it useful or just an expensive gimmick?

If you’re not struggling to do what you want to do already then it’s a gimmick. For me the pencil is the only reason to own an iPad and I hadn’t considered owning a tablet previously.

Kryton57

Well thats what i thought. I can only imagine taking notes with it, and i have terrible handwriting…

maccruiskeen

It works for me as a recce tool – take a photo, write and draw my notes straight onto it in situ. The writing element isn’t so much because my hand writing is lovely (its awful and with the pencil it’s worse) – its more that it’s quick and I can do it standing up, where as typing at any speed is a two handed job. For speed -writing and drawing with the same ‘tool’ is quicker too, rather than having to switch to text and draw text boxes then switch back to a drawing tool.

As a drawing tool for sketching / visualisation / presentation purposes it’s probably unsurpassed.

A key to it all working well is a good case that holds the pencil securely (its a slippery devil) and keeps it easily to hand.

Mrs STR uses it to paint stuff like this…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZeRRJu]2017-10-09_09-11-09[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Drac

Holy shit! That is awesome gorgeous border too.

sweepy
    Free Member

The Mrs had to have one when I got her the pro. It was the first one in our area I could have sold it for way more than I bought it for.

Never even been charged

Holy shit! That is awesome gorgeous border too

I’ll tell her, thanks. It’s a friends hound, but she’s just started doing these for commission, whilst recovering from a hip operation. She’s talented for sure, but then I’m biased

kelvin

JAW

DROP

!

Another one she’s done – completely freehand, with photo for reference…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZdULYb]2017-10-10_03-57-04[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZdUKRG]2017-10-10_03-56-46[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Drac

Just incredible.

momo

Wow those drawings are fantastic!

Back to the OP, I have a surface pro as my work pc and find the pen really useful, I capture all my thoughts during meetings into one note, I’m able to copy google maps images and photos along with schematic drawings etc into one place along with my notes. While I can do this without the pen it just makes the job slicker and faster.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You guys know that the dogs’ faces aren’t what is drawn; right? They’re photographs with either a border (pardon the pun) drawn/blended around or cropped out with a different background.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Talented

You’ve got to tell her…

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Use my iPad Pro with pencil daily for work – sketching, note-taking etc. Advantage is, all my notes and sketches can be stored, sorted, recalled and shared almost immediately, instead of becoming lost and forgotten in a mountain of old notepads.

Notability app justified the whole purchase price for me.

bodgy
    Free Member

So I guess that the iPad Pro / Apple Pencil combo can be used to annotate documents, then? e.g.. making handwritten amendments, notes and corrective marks to a digital manuscript?

Answered my own question. Amazing thing, the Internet.

maccruiskeen

So I guess that the iPad Pro / Apple Pencil combo can be used to annotate documents, then? e.g.. making handwritten amendments, notes and corrective marks to a digital manuscript?

Yes – you can write ‘See me after class’ at the bottom of a PDF 🙂

Drac

Yes it can Bodgy.

Annoying demo.

[video]https://youtu.be/q8asV_UIO84[/video]

bodgy
    Free Member

More specifically: does it all go tits-up if you accidentally rest your hand on the screen in the process of writing (as you would naturally do with a pen and paper)?

Edit: thanks Drac / Mac. Yes, that is exceptionally annoying.

Drac

More specifically: does it all go tits-up if you accidentally rest your hand on the screen in the process of writing (as you would naturally do with a pen and paper)?

Not all it’s very very clever and can sense the difference, it’s not a Surface Pro.

maccruiskeen

it has something called ‘palm rejection’ – when you’re holding the pencil the screen ignores contact from the rest of your hand so you can rest your hand on the screen as you work

seosamh77
    Free Member

Three_Fish – Member
    You guys know that the dogs’ faces aren’t what is drawn; right? They’re photographs with either a border (pardon the pun) drawn/blended around or cropped out with a different background.

I ain’t getting involved in an other argument about photoshop, but aye this! augmented photography. 😆

Drac

FFS! How did I miss that. 😆

bodgy
    Free Member

Superb. Thanks Drac & Mac. Sounds like exactly the thing for Mrs B. 🙂

zilog6128

just got an email from Apple re. iOS 11… not upgraded yet, but seems to add a lot of functionality to the Pencil & Pro combo which can’t be bad!

molgrips
    Free Member

Not all it’s very very clever and can sense the difference, it’s not a Surface Pro.

Surface Pro 4 has palm detection!

And you can do all these other things with it too – just to make it clear 🙂

Drac

Looks like I got a bite.

just got an email from Apple re. iOS 11… not upgraded yet, but seems to add a lot of functionality to the Pencil & Pro combo which can’t be bad!

Yup adds some even better features.

Erm, no. They aren’t.

When I say they are freehand, that’s exactly what they are. If you bother to look closely at the second dog you’ll find tiny differences. She’s spends hours on them.

If I really must, I’ll show a partially completed one/some workflow when she’s in the middle of one.

Cheeky sod 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    Erm, no. They aren’t.

When I say they are freehand, that’s exactly what they are. If you bother to look closely at the second dog you’ll find tiny differences. She’s spends hours on them.

the second one is clearly a photo with an artistic filter applied then bits added. it hasn’t been drawn from scratch, it’s too accurate.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t forget digital photos are huge. She probably zoomed right in to do the fine detail, and on here you are seeing it hugely reduced in size which is why it looks so much like a photo.

I wonder if TAFKASTR can show us a 100% crop?

seosamh77
    Free Member

nup, it’s the exact same photo.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Apple Pencil – any point?’ is closed to new replies.