Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Apple Pay
  • jfletch
    Free Member

It’s ace.

Just used it to buy my lunch. There may have been mobile payment systems before but I think this one will stick.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

only if you have an apple phone?
    Been using pay pass for about a year, no issues and no hassle.

scuttler

Definitely infinitely more convenient than carrying a thin plastic card with a spend limit of £bazillion around.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dirtyrider
    Free Member

this just means women/the elderly will be at the till longer while they faff about

midlifecrashes

Super cost saving too, not going to the pub after work as your money was out of batteries at 4pm.

jfletch
    Free Member

only if you have an apple phone?

Which I obviously do!

Sure there is a long way to go before you’d be able to ditch a wallet entirely but this is a great start. It’s not really the system that is anything special but it’s implimentation, only Apple have been able to generate enough buy in and hype so that on launch day I could set up my cards with all of my different banks, go into Boots and have the little old lady behind the till instantly know Apple Pay existed and how I could pay with it. Google Wallet has the same tech years ago but if I’d tried to use it I’m sure I would have gotten some confused looks, hence why that is now defunct and Google are trying to grab Apple’s coat tails with Android Pay. Once retailers update their back end software to remove the contactless/pay pass £20 limit it will be even better.

And yes, wafting your phone near the till is infinitely* better than fishing a card out of your wallet and wafting that.

*1% better but it’s just another one of life’s marginal gains

sharkbait
    Free Member

only if you have an the very latest apple phone?

More accurate.
    I bet the banks love this sort of thing – lots of small purchases on your debit card = lots of transaction charges 😐
    [and yes I know you can link it to a credit card but some people, quite rightly, don’t use them]

cynic-al
    Free Member

Carrying cash is such an incredible inconvenience

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can pay up to about £40-£50 on a contactless card, my one bank card will service 3 accounts so what is the real benefit, what happens when your phone is flat, my card works even when it’s wet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and throw these guys in the mix
    http://clipp.co/
    bar tab app widespread in Melbourne before apple could pull the core out their arse. Easy and simple and integrated into lots of POS systems

footflaps

My bank, Barclays, is not playing ball with Apple, so can’t use it yet…..

deadkenny
    Free Member

There may have been are existing mobile payment systems before

FTFY.

They work just fine. They’re the industry standard system of NFC payments via mobile. Apple just decided to do it a little different with their wallet thing instead of the usual system linking a payment service to a SIM. The actual communication between device and terminal is the same. Apple didn’t reinvent the wheel here (as they never do anyway).

Beyond that they’re all a bit of a faff on a mobile compared to just tapping a contactless card.

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s clearly the future whether it’s as currently (phone/wearables) or the future – part of your body. I expect that apple pay and whatever system ends up popular via android will end up coexisting same as Visa and Mastercard.

STATO
    Free Member

So do you need to open an app to pay? Given id still need to carry the same card to pay for more expensive things, and it live in a slim wallet in same pocket as my phone, seems to not yet have reached a beneficial level.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Beyond that they’re all a bit of a faff on a mobile compared to just tapping a contactless card.

Apparently contactless cards (and chip/pin) are pretty rare in the US which is why phone payment systems are being pushed over there and therefore here.
    Just dropped my eldest daughter in town to do some shopping with a friend – turns out she’s dropped her phone in the loo, good job she didn’t need it to pay for something.

vinnyeh

It’s not comparing apples with Apples though is it- there’s no authentication in those contactless transactions, hence the low floor limit.

Mike, how do you select accounts using contactless?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

currently contactless defaults to the credit account (or treats the current like a credit) for chip/pin you press a button to select the account. It’s like pressing a button it’s so easy.

DrJ

My useless bank, first direct, are excellent on the phone but their internet bank sucks donkey balls, and now they have delayed Apple Pay. Idiots.

jfletch
    Free Member

Beyond that they’re all a bit of a faff on a mobile compared to just tapping a contactless card

this is where Apple have got it dialed. Because…

So do you need to open an app to pay?

No

You just get your phone out of your pocket and hold it over the NFC terminal with your finger on the touch ID button. Done. No need to even unlock the phone, let alone open any apps. You just get a gentle vibration to tell you it’s all happened.

I know there are haters but this is where Apple’s approach realy pays back. Hardware and software working in perfect harmony to give the user a very nice, simple, useable experience.

Contrast that with the main competitor in Samsung/Google and you have an uneasy union. Samsung have been putting NFC chips in their phones for years to out spec an iPhone, Google have been trying to crack mobile payments for years to out feature iOS, but they still haven’t been able to impliment a system that is simpler than using a plastic card in your wallet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ironic?

kimbers

so all I have to do is pay 600 quid for a phone to do the same thing as my contactless bank card,

vinnyeh

so all I have to do is pay 600 quid for a phone to do the same thing as my contactless bank card,

How is it that so many well educated people have an inability to read something, and then comprehend what they’ve read? 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so your phone is hack proof? Should it allow me to spend your entire balance if I pick up your phone?

sharkbait
    Free Member

You just get your phone out of your pocket and hold it over the NFC terminal

On 50% of the terminals I try to use my contactless card with, the contactless bit isn’t working, so I put the card in the machine and pay that way.
    Can you push your phone into the terminal in the same way? If not, you still have to carry your [much thinner/smaller/lighter/fexible/waterproof/easily replaceable] card with you – which pretty much makes mobile payment a bit of a gimmick.

I’m sure I’ll end up using one version or another one day but to say it’s the best thing ever is wrong.

jfletch
    Free Member

so all I have to do is pay 600 quid for a phone to do the same thing as my contactless bank card

Can your bank card also keep you entertained while you have a poo?

If not it’s £600 quid well spent in my eyes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

awesome your logic is like poo

kimbers

600 quid to be entertained on the loo!, I could hire some sort of dancing midget for that kind of money

P-Jay
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

so your phone is hack proof? Should it allow me to spend your entire balance if I pick up your phone?

Not unless you chop off the owners thumb too, it requires a finger print.

I’ve not used it yet, although I’ve entered my debit card details – capital one doesn’t use it yet though… probably for the best.

P.S. I don’t pay for my phone, so hang the cost 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah bless the innocents… of course that’s how it works, the software knows that it’ a thumb not a software hack.

zilog6128

Are you just FUDing or are you going to provide any details of this “software hack” that will compromise Apple Pay?

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it’s more secure than Chip and Pin.

footflaps

Are you just FUDing

Troll.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How can it be compromised? Simply convince the phone it’s reading the fingerprint (or whatever it’s actually reading) into thinking it’s the one on record. Not saying it’s been done but trusting it cause Apple did it isn’t really that safe. Is it safe enough to allow unlimited transactions? The way to tell is who will underpin fraudulent transactions – my paypass is underwritten by the card provider.

kiwijohn

I’m thinking it’ll be a lot harder to skim a phone than a card.
    No idea when it’ll come down here.

brassneck

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it’s more secure than Chip and Pin.

I’d agree. For a start, harvesting PINs has been proven to be easy, and card cloning happening onsite (my local garage had a spate)

Here’s some background reading .. adding a transaction ID helps security as far as I can see.

But as I too am wating on First Direct it’s slightly academic for me. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

kiwi – your phone spends it’s life talking to the rest of the world, my cards don’t. Anyway good luck using it in the depths of Tassie 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Ah bless the innocents… of course that’s how it works, the software knows that it’ a thumb not a software hack.

I suppose you just keep your money under your tinfoil hat?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not at all but thinking that one method is fool proof is a bit naive, my losses on my card are backed by the provider.

zilog6128

your phone spends it’s life talking to the rest of the world, my cards don’t.

So does my computer. Probably yours too. Tell you what, lets just bin off all e-commerce/internet banking/etc, it can’t possibly work. You sound as clueless as my Nan when it comes to technology!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thanks for the assessment zilog, you sound clueless too. I’m suggesting that saying it’s secure/fine is not really that good. Nothing is that secure, everything can be broken. Just because you think there is physical security like popping your finger on a 10p sensor makes it better than good luck.

brassneck

my losses on my card are backed by the provider.

They still are on Apple Pay? Suspect they still will be on any alternative payment system, if underlying it is a card issued by a bank.

AFAIK the only issues so far have been around identity theft and creating bogus card using the stolen identity. Onboarding a card to Apple Pay is designed to be as simple as possible, so if the issuer is fooled into creating a dodgy card, Apple Pay won’t pick it up. But the transaction itself is secure.

It’ll probably replace my debit card as soon as I can confirm can get cash back if required.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Apple Pay’ is closed to new replies.