• This topic has 58 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Apple ownership
  • grahamh
    Free Member

I’ve just spent a thousand pounds (or thereabouts) on a brand new 13″ macbook pro

Just reading about them today..

The New MacBook Pro: Unfixable, Unhackable, Untenable

Jamie
    Free Member

No you weren’t.

MBP 13″ is a different model to the MBP Retina, and has user upgradeable ram and HDD/SSD.

footflaps

Who cares, I don’t buy a laptop to pull it apart and HW wise Apple stuff is pretty decent on longevity, plus they do great out of warranty replacement deals.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don;t buy a laptop to pull it apart but…..

I like to know that I can upgrade the RAM, Change the battery and replace the HD.

A Ram and disk upgrade has meant my current laptop is pushing 6 years old and still runs OK (not for much longer though)

convert

Who cares? I think I care. I’m a recent convert to mac ownership (rather than just user at work) but I’m at the suck teeth in and hop on one leg in fiscal discomfort at point of purchase part of the demographic who shouldn’t really be able to afford to buy but does anyway. The thought that I can’t upgrade RAM & HDD and replace the battery as easily and cheaply (did it myself with internet bought components in the work of but a moment) as I did on my mid 2010 MBP and ring maximum life out of each purchase is going to have me struggling to justify. But having converted to the Job’s empire could I ever go back to the dark side?….I’m his bitch now.

convert

M6TTF
    Free Member

As a mac user for 20+ yrs id say The quality of hardware is superb. I had a G4 tower that a ran for 7 yrs without one problem. That said, my 27″ iMac has been less reliable, having had the video card replaced twice in the last 8 months. They also only offer 90 days warranty on replacement parts which is abysmal. The difference with apple is customer service. I did get them to replace it FOC in the end though, customer service is king.

Oh and the comic strip is brilliant

ononeorange

The joke that this site is populated by IT people seems disturbingly true…..! 😉

ericemel
    Free Member

The battery and hard drive in the new mac will be replaceable for a cost. I have heard mixed comments on the replacability of the RAM though….shame. But just max it

Olly
    Free Member

“I’ve had my Macbook for 2 years now
    cost 800 quid. It still boots up and works as fast as it did when I bought”

Heh, thats sweet. My 7 year old £300 laptop boots faster than it did on day one. Ubuntu got too thirsty for it (trying to emulate apples swishyness actually) so i went to lubuntu (swish free ubuntu) boots from dead in <10 seconds.

Just sayin.

GaryLake
    Free Member

To be honest, until you’ve owned a Macbook or an iMac and done a full life cycle on one, it is hard to understand the ‘value’ of them – I couldn’t see it but I wanted one anyway and after we made the switch to Apple at work I figured ‘why not’. Haven’t looked back. I’ve got colleagues doing high end video work on 5+ year old Macbook Pros and they just keep going on. Some have been planning to upgrade for a couple of years now ‘once it dies’, but they don’t.

Running a 2009 Macbook Pro and iMac here doing graphics and video work, stuck some new RAM in both this year (which was ridiculously easy to do, less faff than a PC even), that’ll do for another 3 years…

ericemel
    Free Member

@grahamh what is really interesting about that article is the last part, apple have for the last few years made upgradable laptops, I would even go as far as saying they became easier to upgrade…until the air came along. But the air also saw a huge spike in sales, so the average consumer is clearly more interested in from over upgradability. SO they are providing exactly what the majority want. It could be said the MBP has been a niche product – really designed for portable graphic type work, but it will be interesting to see if the new design and marketing gumph behind the screen increases sales….

And tbh I have had laptops for a very long time (Win 3.11 through to Win7&OSX) and have not upgraded one…and I could be considered technically minded.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Heh, thats sweet. My 7 year old £300 laptop boots faster than it did on day one. Ubuntu got too thirsty for it (trying to emulate apples swishyness actually) so i went to lubuntu (swish free ubuntu) boots from dead in <10 seconds.

how often do you reboot? just close the lid, reboot only needed for software update

reboot speed is a pointless point

Jamie
    Free Member

I have just seen one of the Retina MBPs….

geordiemick00
    Free Member

envy is a terrible thing……

ericemel
    Free Member

My wife has one and its sooooo nice. I am trying to not have envy!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Where as you can buy a £300 PC and try to run Windows on it. Windows “probably” works well on a £2K machine, but very few people will spend that much. Probably on previous experience of £300 machines dying after 12 months and being generally crap from the start. Not really a fair comparison. OSX on it if you’re very lucky it will work great

I wish my family were on OSX though – invariably issues with their machines have been windows/virus related. Hardly ever hardware

_tom_
    Free Member

I still don’t get OSX/macs. I have Snow Leopard and Windows 7 on the same computer and always end up using W7 apart from when I want to use FCP for video. Just seems quicker and nicer to me. Viruses are only a real problem if you’re an idiot and download dodgy stuff.

Olly
    Free Member

reboot speed is a pointless point”

Its a good indicator of system efficiency, it shows what crap is or isnt being loaded in the background.
    I only use my laptop occasionally, so its daft to have it on standby.
    Also, being 7 years old the battery is borked. Apples will have the same issue here, except now they glue the batterys in so you cant change them for new ones should you need battery power regularly.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Apple ownership’ is closed to new replies.