• This topic has 58 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Apple ownership
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Love this site

http://theoatmeal.com/

jambalaya
    Free Member

Had my Mac Book 4 years, Mac Mini 3 yrs, iPad1 2.5 yrs, iPhone 2 yrs .. no need to change any of them as they are all working perfectly. I spend much more on mountain biking than I do on Apple stuff.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Love it. That sums up my business partner perfectly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You have to hand it to Apple. Their marketing department is superb!

😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I saw that comic, on my iMac, ages ago. Has it only just come to Windows?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

8)

jambalaya
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I spend my money on functionality. Apple stuff just works better, much better. After 20 years of putting up with Microsoft garbage I’m delighted to say in our household we are MS free. FWIW we had an early Anroid phone which was dire, went to the iPhone after that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I spend my money on functionality. Apple stuff just works better, much better. After 20 years of putting up with Microsoft garbage I’m delighted to say in our household we are MS free. FWIW we had an early Anroid phone which was dire, went to the iPhone after that.

*Whooooosh!*

Jamie
    Free Member

/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the thread/countzero to the

bigblackshed

Jamie – Member
    I saw that comic, on my iMac, ages ago. Has it only just come to Windows?

Heh.

In fairness Apple control the production of machines that can run Apple software. So everything is spec’d to work.

Where as you can buy a £300 PC and try to run Windows on it. Windows “probably” works well on a £2K machine, but very few people will spend that much. Probably on previous experience of £300 machines dying after 12 months and being generally crap from the start. Not really a fair comparison.

This is brought to you from Apple’s latest product, iBitch.

zilog6128

You have to hand it to Apple. 99% of everything they doTheir marketing department is superb!

FTFY

atlaz
    Free Member

When Apple allowed third party hardware, they were just as problematic as PCs. In fact, I’d argue that pre-OSX, Apple computers were just a pointless pain in the arse. Even now I spend almost as long helping friends sort their Macs out as I do on their Windows machines. Microsoft stuff kind of just works these days as long as you don’t buy the bottom drawer 200quid PC from Asda.

I should say that I’m writing this from my work Mac and will go home to use my own Mac using my iPhone between the two places so I clearly like what they do. I also detest some of what they do.

Jamie
    Free Member

…back on topic-ish, Oatmeal is pretty immense.

A personal fav:

warton
    Free Member

I’ve had my Macbook for 2 years now
    cost 800 quid. It still boots up and works as fast as it did when I bought it. I love using it, and have NO intention of upgrading to one of the newer models anytime soon.

GregMay
    Free Member

Mac’s for people who don’t like to admit they run Linux.

Hurrah for my XPS with Linux, works a treat, no issues here.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I must be an old man. Or just a big ****.

Who knows.

MarkyG82

Linux here too. For all my praising of it, you do have to know a bit of techy stuff to use it well. But then again I have fewer issues on it than I did with the Win7 pro it wiped over the top of. Was a nervous day when I wiped the restore partition. That was 6 months ago. No regrets. Might hack to run OSX next 😀

portlyone

I think you’ll find it is Apple’s litigation department that is superb!

xiphon
    Free Member

Hackintosh over here x2

Dell Latitude D520 – OSX 10.6.8 ( Spare disk caddy with XP SP3 on it)

Custom PC – OSX 10.7.4

peterfile
    Free Member

It’s odd, when I used to buy Windows PCs and laptops I was always upgrading and looking for new models. I used to spend quite a bit (even on things like software, OS upgrades).

When I bought a MBP, I did feel a little bit cheated at first because it was expensive compared to a similarly specced Windows machine, but I’ve not spent a penny since then, and have no real desire to upgrade (although I would quite like a 15″ rather than the 13″ I have, but that’s just down to a change in what i’m using it for).

I suspect that if you total up what most semi-sophisiticated PC and Mac users spend on hardware and software over a 3 year period, there probably wouldn’t be a huge difference. Think of the cost difference between a Windows and Mac OS upgrade for example.

I still use a PC and windows laptop daily too, but the MBP is my preferred thing to use.

ericemel
    Free Member

Oddly I hate OSX but love the hardware – easily the best built machiens on the market.

Luckily they run windows 🙂

CountZero

Lolz @ Jamie. 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

*Whooooosh!*

Not the first time Captain and it won’t be the last …

@peterfile – not sure what you’re using the MBP for but suggest you try hooking it up to your TV assuming you have a flatscreen HD type, you can do this via HDMI or really neatly via AppleTV and your wireless network, great for watching YouTube / Vimeo MTB videos.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 🙂

Cougar

Wow, I’m shocked we’ve never had a Mac vs PC pissing contest thread before!

The Oatmeal is ace. The latest round in his spat with Funnyjunk is worth a read. http://theoatmeal.com/blog/funnyjunk_letter

Follow the first couple of links if you’re not aware of the history. For spoiler reasons, you might want to read that before reading the rest of my post here.

No really, go do that. I’ll wait.

Back? Good.

The postscript to this is, he wanted to raise money for charity on the back of it so started a campaign with a $20,000 target over the next fortnight. He hit the target in an hour, it’s currently standing at ten times that with a week left to run.

Chapeau.

Cougar

Ah, there’s a footnote to the footnote I’d not seen before, too.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/carreon

Cougar

Though, in terms of pissing contests,

Jamie
    Free Member

Fascinating Oatmeal fact, the guy is an ultrarunner as well.

allthegear
    Free Member

Huh? I don’t get it?

Rachel (a web developer on Mac…)

epicsteve
    Free Member

Huh? I don’t get it?

What he’s saying is that OSX is just Mac’s rip-off of Linux, an operating system that isn’t usually charged for.

allthegear
    Free Member

How is it a rip off of Linux?

spacemonkey

If Apple sorted out Finder then I’d ‘enjoy’ OSX a lot more. IMO the worst aspect by a long way.

xiphon
    Free Member

@GregMay OSX and Linux have the same roots, but their not closely related (by a long way).

*BSD has far more in common with OSX… but that would probably mean nothing to you considering your original comment 😉

Just because you see a shell prompt, doesn’t mean it’s Linux…

Cougar

It’s pretty disingenuous to say it’s a rip-off of Linux. OSX and Linux are both Unix-based. OSX is considerably evolved, is all.

mogrim

Ubuntu is also definitely aping (or at least inspired by) the Mac interface, that irritating detached title bar thing that Macs do is in Unity, too.

Think the next machine I build up with be with Fedora.

xiphon
    Free Member

mogrim – if you don’t like the direction Ubuntu is going, try Debian..

footflaps

I just find Linux with a GUI to be strange, I’m so used to using 10 year old Redhat and doing everything from the shell. Ubuntu annoys me as they keep moving all the system files around, so everything I learnt using Redhat 4, no longer works…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cinamon desktop for Ubuntu is good

mogrim

mogrim – if you don’t like the direction Ubuntu is going, try Debian..

I’ll probably just install a different window manager, be easier.

Cinamon desktop for Ubuntu is good

Just googled it, does look pretty good.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve just spent a thousand pounds (or thereabouts) on a brand new 13″ macbook pro.

It’s not just working although the hardware is as slick as owlshit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Apple ownership’ is closed to new replies.