Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Apple OS X El Capitan out tomorrow – anyone care?
  • the-muffin-man

Does it use the new iOS font, or Helvetica still?

Alex

Downloading now for my iMac. Being on a ‘rural broadband’ connection that’ll take most of the day. If it works okay, I’ll upgrade my macbook air but that’s the one I use at clients so I’m not risking it yet. If I do, it’ll be on their network as that’ll take about 10 minutes!

djflexure

Installed Ok but now one of my external monitors is not detected. Found the now hidden detect monitors button – no effect. Google – known issue apparently.

Otherwise looks no different. Feels slower if anything on my newish mac mini. Lots of ball rolling.

Hopefully will settle in otherwise I’ll switch back for the time being.

EDIT: Couple of power off/ reboots resolved the monitor issue.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

anyone know what time they release the times,

Beginning of the weekI think. Try Sunday night/Monday morning….or just every day till they pop up 😉

codybrennan
    Free Member

Can anyone that’s on it have a look at Disk Utility for me, and see if it looks as comprehensive as the Yosemite version?

Interested to hear that the previous networking stack has been stuck back in-

jambalaya
    Free Member

Updated, all I have noticed so far is the beachball has changed 😳
    I like the notes update allowing photos and sketches to be included and shared between devices

Downloaded overnight (3hrs quoted) and then about an hour to install and do post login stuff like email rebuild.

iOS 9.0.2 also released overnight

m360
    Free Member

Downloading it now…if I’m not back in an hour send out a search party genius 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

9.0.2 on my iPhone now..

Again, looks the same.

I like not knowing whats going on..

GolfChick
    Free Member

Set it off downloading last night but didn’t bring my MacBook pro into work with me today so it’ll have to wait til tonight to start it downloading. Currently slogging trying to get my new watch to install ios2. My life this week seems to be full of updating all my devices!!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

@codybrennan

It’s been brought up to speed. The earlier versions didn’t even have unmount options.

[url=http://i.imgur.com/OVyb2tO.png][/url]

9.0.2 on my iPhone now..

Again, looks the same.

I like not knowing whats going on..

Mostly bug fixes, so nothing should pop out at you.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/30/apple-releases-ios-9-0-2/

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks bongohoohaa

jambalaya
    Free Member

I wish they would break out “other” into at least mail, would be useful across OSX and iOS

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

@Cody. Np. Any specific questions, just ask.

@jambalaya In my case I use Airmail, so not a major issue, but do agree it would be handy to know how much space is taken up by old email attachments etc. I guess in iOS they assume users will use the settings > general > storage and icloud useage > manage storage to see how much space mail app is using.

…which is hardly an elegant solution.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Can we ask for fixes too?

Ok, fix Calendar back to a one click entry into a day from the “month” view…

That’d help.. as is it seems a random case of double taps, single taps, random pressure and downright end of pen stabs 🙄

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Sure. Write the issue on a postcard, and send it to:

I gotz problemz
    1 Infinite Loop
    Cupertino,
    California,
    United States

They’ll get right on it.

In the meantime, you on about Calendar for iOS or OSX?

mrmoofo

Re IOS9
    IOS 8 really screwed up mu iPad. It became very slow to react to anything ( esp in safari)and it use to freeze all the time in web pages / big data sites
    So I jumped at IOS9 – now it freezes and crashes. **** excellent. So the iPad is a bit useless – but I guess they want me to buy a new one …

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Did you you do a wipe and restore, or just update?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Calendar on iPhone IOS9.0.2 (and 0.1) jut had an an issue with not being able to access “days” in the calendar when going from the Month view. Dunno why, before the update you could just tap the day you wanted to add an entry then add it.. Now nothing happens if you tap it, Jambalya said “double tap” and I’ve been doing that but hey, thats like random init. SOmetimes it works, mostly not and I have to then go into select the month and access it from there.. Also, for some reason when tapping a day to see an entry in there, again can’t access the entry without resorting to the random tap/move to month view malarky..

WAPITA

m360
    Free Member

OSX El Capitan installed. Not liking split screen, seems very un-intuitive and doesn’t appear to work with mail which remains hidden behind safari for example.

I don’t have to use it though, and haven’t noticed any other differences really so can’t grumble. It was a free update after all. Oh, the notes thing is great, about time it became useful!

johndoh
    Free Member

Anyone running into problems running an external monitor on a MacBook? I can’t get it to recognise mine at all and the forums saying it is an issue. Tried the (now hidden) ‘Detect Displays’ button in the “Displays’ screen on System Preferences but nothing is coming up 🙁

m360
    Free Member

Edit my above. I’ve no learned how to use split screen properly and it’s pretty good 🙂

hagi
    Free Member

Took me 4 attempts to get it to complete a logon without hanging, but seems to be running smoothly for now. Applications appear to start faster. Considering its free, its not a bad upgrade.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Capture one: broken
    Photoshop: usable
    Wacom tablet: broken
    Eizo screen calibration: working
    focus stacking software: no idea
    davinci resolve grading software: some issues

So thanks to the Guinea pigs it’s a big NO from me until all the above are working faultlessly

slackalice
    Free Member

Why do they have to keep on fiddling? Is it that difficult to develop something simple that 90+% of users require and just stick with it?

Updates this, updates that, it’s putting me right off my breakfast. I do however still find iOS far more preferable to the MS operating system and its demands for daily, in your face, updates.

Stop messing about with it and make the basics work properly, is what I’d say at my first meeting in charge.

peterfile
    Free Member

I quite like it. That said, I’d just sorted out a fresh install of Yosemite so my laptop was nice and clean and I haven’t yet tried to set all my accounts/apps back up.

I’m on a late 2010 MBP and my machine is running faster than it has been for some time (although I suspect most of that is down to a good tidy up and fresh install).

johndoh
    Free Member

Has anyone else had problems with it on a MacBook at it not recognising external monitors? I have a brand new laptop and neither output is working with external monitors. I am trying to identify whether it is El Capitan causing the problem or the graphics card is goosed.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Updates this, updates that, it’s putting me right off my breakfast. I do however still find iOS far more preferable to the MS operating system and its demands for daily, in your face, updates.

It’s been a while since you’ve used MS then as Apple seem to be outdoing them in the update stakes.

mogrim

Definitely avoid Ubuntu, then! FWIW my Win 10 install at home just silently updates in the background, every now and then it tells me it’s done something. Nothing like “daily demands”.

Why do they have to keep on fiddling? Is it that difficult to develop something simple that 90+% of users require and just stick with it?

Apart from the fact that software development is quite difficult, there’s also the fact that marketing demands new and shiny things to keep interest – which means fiddling.

kiwijohn

They’ve got rid of the dashboard. Give me back my widgets you bastards.

CaptainSlow

Dashboard – sys pref – mission control and change from off to space

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Not liking split screen, seems very un-intuitive and doesn’t appear to work with mail which remains hidden behind safari for example

Agreed…until I actually worked out what to do and now I find it quite good, even with mail.

woody74

Any one else finding Safari really really slow, like taking 20 seconds to open a web page that used to take 3 or 4 seconds?

m360
    Free Member

Any one else finding Safari really really slow, like taking 20 seconds to open a web page that used to take 3 or 4 seconds?

Nope, mine seems faster now.

I didn’t realise but think that time-machine was doing a full backup (200gb) after the install, so things were a bit slower. Since that’s finished and I’ve done a restart everything is running perfectly.

kiwijohn

Dashboard – sys pref – mission control and change from off to space

Thanks for that. Don’t know why they turned that off & left all my other prefs on.

CaptainSlow

np. They did the same in Yosemite iirc. It’s almost like they don’t want you to use it..

mikey74
    Free Member

I haven’t had a notification for this on my Macbook Pro (2014, running Yosemite) yet. Do you have to seek it out, or wait for it to come to you?

mikey74
    Free Member

Scratch that! I’ve just had notification through of a couple of updates. Turns out they weren’t for El Capitan, but there was an ad on the same page for it, and a linky.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mikey I think they try and stagger the updates so if you are not a “fanboy” following the announcements they wait a while before prompting

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers Jam.

So, I’m guessing from the name, El Capitan, that it’s essentially just an update to Yosemite (El Capitan being in Yosemite, of course), rather than a brand new OS: Is that correct?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Anyone know if the Inland Revenue stuff (basic PAYE) works OK ?

Thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Apple OS X El Capitan out tomorrow – anyone care?’ is closed to new replies.