Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Apple magic trackpad issues
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

the ‘clicks’ on my magic trackpad i use with my iMac seem to to be failing. you can do most functions with just touch but there seem to be a few things you cant (eg dragging windows around the screen).

Is it worth paying the extra for the new ‘version 2’? Seems to be bigger, have a glass trackpad and have ‘force touch’ as well as being rechargable.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve only heard good things about the newer one. Just the price that puts me off swapping away from the magic mouse.

paulx
    Free Member

You might be able to fix it ..

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Magic+Trackpad+Click+Adjustment/6171

I fixed the non clicking trackpad on my old MacBook the other day – just needed a special tri head screwdriver off eBay – 99p

Took about 10 mins to do.

Worth a try

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

cheers – should have known to look on ifixit.

i don’t mind the lack of a click but I can’t work out how to drag windows without it. anyone?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Hi risk process this. I carefully levered at the top edge then used a very long bladed craft knife (the type with the snap off blades) to cut across the glue. My main chip didn’t actually seem to be stuck

Adjusted the click, put back together. Pressed power button. Nothing. Then the thing starts getting super hot so i pop the batteries out and take the back off again. Can’t see anything damaged or in the wrong place but something above the main chip got hot enough to melt the plastic of the back.

No harm in trying once more. (maybe). now it seems to work. very odd.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You know it doesn’t need to click? You can turn the click off in Preferences and the pad will accept a simple touch as its instruction.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

You know it doesn’t need to click? You can turn the click off in Preferences and the pad will accept a simple touch as its instruction.

I have touch enabled BUT I couldn’t work out how to click/hold/drag to move a window using touch only. That meant couldn’t move windows around on screen.

Bloody thing worked for an hour and now seems to have died completely. changed batteries but no power light 🙁

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

New Magic Trackpad arrived and while setting it up i found the settings i needed to get the old one working with knackered microswitches.

Buried in accessibility/trackpad you can enable double click and drag or 3 finger drag.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Apple magic trackpad issues’ is closed to new replies.