Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Apple Mac Air advice
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My wife is wanting a MacAir to use for work. Office stuff, PDFs, Internet, occasional iplayer download. No big games or loads of downloads. Needs to be put in handbag briefcase.

What is the best one to get for her needs? The 128 or 256Gb one (and what is the usual amount of space available after applications etc are loaded). 11 or 13″ which is most practical for storage and usage.

Anyone know best deal places to get one?

Ta

allthegear
    Free Member

It’s really not that long ago we were all using 1GB hard disks…

The 11″ screen is really quite small. A bit of a pain to use for any length of time.

Might be worth noting that Apple are annoying new things on October 16th. Might be worth waiting only a couple of weeks?

Anyway, with that list of activities, I would (and regularly do) use an iPad, not a laptop.

Rachel

winch
    Free Member

My 11″ air is great, I use it as my only computer and you get used to the size. But having only 64gb is annoying. You could easily get by with 128 but if I were buying now I’d pay the extra for the 256.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

13″ here with 128Gb

Been fine so far. If I want to watch a load of movies whilst away from work, a big USB stick is used

bikebouy
    Free Member

13″ Air here and the biggest memory/power available too.

It’s pretty blooming ace has to be said.

I run MS Office on it and thought I’d have issues with compatibility, but you know what, none. I use iCloud and Dropbox for storage and have nowhere near filled that up yet.

I’ve got my iPhone and iPad linked up and it’s been a revelation to know I have all my stuff at my fingertips anywhere.

I did contemplate both an iMac and MacBook, but settled on the Air because it’s super light, well quick enough for what I need and it looks sexy and is so easy to use.
    Having come from a world of MS through years at work and old laptops, I’m converted, I found it almost seamless transition into the world of i..

somouk
    Free Member

For those activities a 13″ with 128Gb would be ideal, if you do need more screen estate then plug it in at home to a big monitor.

Kuco

Loving my MB Air. The only regret I kind of have is I brought mine from Waitrose as I was impatient but kind of wished I got it from the Apple store and could have gone for the 8gb of ram rather than the standard 4gb not that it has caused any problems for what I use it for.

It’s only got 128gb drive but I’ve got a 64g sd card for it and the old 500g SD drive out of my old MacBook so storage for me isn’t an issue.

I did look at the 11″ but decided to stay with 13″ as I find it better for me.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d go for the 13″ pro. The retina display really is superb and makes a 13″ screen far more useable for content creation.

Or wait 9 months or so for the new 12″ air with retina display.

Don’t think there are many deals to be had on new. Though you could try the apple refurbished site. Some good deals to be had on there and they are pretty much as new with apple warranty I think.

konabunny
    Free Member

When you say she needs it for work – is that just writing work emails or is it editing documents/files whatever?

If it’s just writing emails, I’d get an iPad, but otherwise an Air is good.

curvature
    Free Member

Had a MB Pro for 5 years and it’s still going strong.

Bought an iMac just over a year and love it.

Bought my daughter a 13″Air and have to say it is great. I would agree with others that the 11″ is too small for work stuff especially if using spreadsheets.

Big Apple fan hear and when I take on a new employee they will be getting an Apple to use too. Well worth the extra cash in my opinion. I have a small business without any IT support and the Apple stuff just works with whatever you through at it.

Printers never need installing, no mucking about with drivers they just work and keep on going.

kcal

Succession of MBs here, from G4 back in 2004 through to current one, a MBPr from a couple years ago; daughter has MBA for ‘stuff’ and it’s a very natural system to use – she gets on with it, anyway.

I had, for work, a PC laptop – as well as the G4 at the time – but eventually bit the bullet and just combined them into a high spec MBP with dual boot, never looked back.

geoffj

11′ 128gb MBA here and its very good.
    There are quite a few in the refurb section of the Apple website – http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000751/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

andyfla
    Free Member

keep an eye on MacRumors

timwillows
    Free Member

Go 13″, 11 is a bit small
    Get at least 256gb, as the cost delta is small and its always useful

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for all the useful info.

Been and looked, 11″ definitely too small. The retina on the Pro is definitely nicer. We will probably give it a month or so and see if a new one comes out. The rumours look like a 12″ with retina.

Ta

Kuco

Use to have a 12″ ibook and would still rather go for a 13″ screen.

ninfan
    Free Member

the recent talk about an ‘ipad pro’ could tempt me to hold off and see whats coming

dream would be to have a macbook air/macbook pro size screen that you could use like an ipad when travelling or surfing the internet, the full processing and memory to prop up the screen with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to do ‘proper’ stuff’

saxabar
    Free Member

Love my 13″ as my everyday computer. Light enough not to notice it in a rucksack. Battery power an enormous step up. Reasonably priced IMV too. I opted for the 128gb on basis that USB stick are fingernail size, cheap and provide load of back up. Loads of space left on the HD, but no films.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

…and talking of backups, Apple Timecapsule is brilliant

redsnail

I’ve been using the 11″ Macbook Air for years. I needed something that was portable and light. I am away from home for 6 days in a row and needed something I can use for the degree I’m doing part time.
    You can either use the Apple software or bite the bullet and get Microsoft Office for Mac.

I would wait a bit and see what’s released very soon. The retina screen is mighty tempting.
    If any one in your family is a student, then they can get student discounts on the Macbook. (about 14%)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Apple Mac Air advice’ is closed to new replies.