Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Apple iphone 4.0 OS
  • Wiredchops
    Free Member

Just to add to the Flash debate, recently bought a PC as a media centre very cheaply without an OS. Installed Linux (Ubuntu) and soon discovered that Flash support is so poor for Linux that it struggled to stream even low res youtube vids, but played 1080p vids fullscreen no probs.

Delved a little deeper, chatted to a programmer at work, looked on Linux forums looking for a fix and it seems its unavoidable. It's poorly programmed cack apparently. Adobe refuse to release the source code so friendly open source programmers can fix scaling problems etc. etc.

From what I know, Jobs refuses to use Flash because he thinks the programmers are lazy, it's so processor intensive that the iphones battery would only last minutes anyway.

Iphone doesn't not run flash because the Iphone is cack, it doesn't run it because flash it utter crap.

Only just had this problem recently otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to contribute. It's annoyed me tbh. Bring on silverlight and BBC et al. adopting it.

P.S. Installed win7 instead now, flash runs better but it still ain't great. Booooo!

BruceM
    Free Member

Having used flash on linux myself, i can only agree with you, support is poor to say the least, but its far from impossible to get it running well on a linux install, i have more by luck than skill had it working well. I would think the 3Gs Hardware is more than capable of running flash without huge problems in terms of processing power. battery life is always going to be an issue, my argument for that is simple and that is i am more than capable of looking after the relatively limited battery life of a smart phone, i can choose to use it when its appropriate to use it.

This said im really not intrested in getting into a forum debate so i will give one last input and leave you to it. I suppose my Point is this, however you look at it, weather its down to Adobe's poor support or Apple not willing to support it. Its a feature that does exist on many other smart phones, Android either already does or soon will support it (I havent checked recently, last i heard, was that it would be supported at least on newer handsets), Windows Mobile certainly does support it and although i've never used it, i've never heard complaints. Apple's Iphone does not support it and will not.

Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Apple iphone 4.0 OS’ is closed to new replies.