Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Apple iCloud family sharing – any gotchas?
  • geoffj

Thinking of setting this up. Any issues, worth knowing about before I proceed?
    TIA

the-muffin-man

Any issues, worth knowing about before I proceed?

Don’t ‘accidentally’ take pictures of sexy ladies on the beach!

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Most annoying is even if you have cards attached to each adult account, unless there is gift card balance, the leader of the family’s card is always used.

So even though my other half has her car attached for purchases and always has done, now my card gets used. Not a big problem but confused the hell out of us at first. More of a problem if you regularly buy content, which we don’t.

Other than that it’s good and also sharing apps is good. So one kid gets minecraft, you can all share it which helps save them cost but also lets them fight as one bought it with their money and the other gets it free but thats life so they have to learn to take it in turns I guess

geoffj

Thanks guys – I’ll have a bit more of delve in the detail.

connect2

Yeah, watch how the payment is set up. My son was highly delighted to find he was apparently getting in-app purchases for ‘free’. Luckily he’d only spent about a tenner before I found out, guy at work got stung for over £300!

pedropete

You can set it up so that the cardholder/ parent has to authorise any app download, free or paid. Works well.

matt_outandabout

The downside is in 5 years when you decide they need their own account. Suddenly allege apps and music need buying again…

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

If bought on their account it remains theirs, they just leave the family. It’s all separate accounts that are linked, and can detach any time. Approval of purchases are useful as said, and that’s the main reason we have it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Apple iCloud family sharing – any gotchas?’ is closed to new replies.