Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • apple geeks question ;o)
  • kendo954
    Free Member

So im taking my ipad on holiday with me for in flight entertainment etc…

i want to use it to back up my photos while im away, so will this do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/320930749721?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

or do i need to give apple a fortune for their own branded one?

Drac

Yes and no.

spw3

Dunno. For a fiver I would buy it and find out.

I used to back up my photos the same way but I don’t bother anymore.

Mind you, you might be a better photographer than me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spw3

Oh, more importantly I did spend a fortune on the Apple one and haven’t used it in ages. Really, don’t bother, just buy more SD cards.

kendo954
    Free Member

when i say back up – that should probably read ‘to upload photos iv taken that day to have a nosey at whilst supping cold beer’

ill give it a go…. unless spw3 want rid of the apple one cheap 😉

grum
    Free Member

The iPad might tell you it’s not compatible, but it will work fine.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got the usb/android version and find it a really handy bit of kit. Good for looking at and culling pics before you get home. Its nice to look at the days snaps in the bar that night.

timwillows
    Free Member

Might do, my cheap ebay one worked for a while and then stopped under IOS7

Good tool for viewing and sharing your photos while away

iPad is an expensive way to back up photos, SD cards are a cheaper way to buy GB

bensales
    Free Member

More importantly, which iPad do you have? An older one with a 30pin connector, or a new one with a Lightning connector? If the latter, that adaptor won’t work.

FWIW, I do the same (with the Apple connector), and then the iPad syncs the photos to Dropbox so they’re truly backed up.

Drac

Come to think of it I may have on lying around somewhere.

kendo954
    Free Member

cheers guys for the input…

older style connector…..if your parting with one anyone before i go the ebay route

Drac

I’ll have a hunt see if I can find it and yup it’s the old style as it’s for the wife’s iPad 2 but never used it.

spw3

@Kendo

Fair do’s for trying but I’m a cautious sort. Haven’t used it in ages but you never know

And to be fair it is nice to look at the days pics on a bigger screen.

kendo954
    Free Member

no worries SPW always worth asking ;o)

Smuzzy
    Free Member

FEIE, I went the e-bay route after the missus got her handbag containing my pukka apple one nicked. The e-bay one didn’t work, now back with an apple one and its been faultless. Not the same e-bay one you list I should add.

Drac

having problems finding my old one.

CountZero

It’s what I do. I buy a bunch of cheap SD cards from 7dayshop, usually 8Gb ones, and put them to one side when they’re full up, but I also copy the photos I take from any particular day or event onto my iPad with the Apple Camera Kit, so I can see the photos properly and cull the iffy ones that weren’t obviously crap from the thumbnails.
    That way I can scroll back and look at older photos, and upload easily to Ohotobucket or Flickr. I also connect the pad to the Mac every so often to do a full backup, plus there’s Photostream and Dropbox too.
    The pad’s currently got over 6000 photos on it.
    iPhoto has over 26,000…
    Which reminds me, I really must order some more cards, 7dayshop are doing 8Gb cards for around £3.50…
    I think 16Gb ones are less than a tenner.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

As an alternative idea, I use an Eye-Fi card. Take a pic and a few seconds later it appears on your iiPad. Works a treat.

BB

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘apple geeks question ;o)’ is closed to new replies.