Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Apple AirPlay – well that was weirdly easy.
  • ajantom

I bought an Apple AirPlay Express (Apple store refurbed for £50) so I could link my iMac upstairs with the stereo in the lounge.

Did a bit of reading online in preparation and it seemed quite a convoluted process, but he who dares, etc.

Anyway, plugged into mains and plugged it into the back of the amp with a 3.5mm jack – phono lead. Then set up wirelessly as a device attached to the router with my iPhone, and found it on the iMac. Used remote on the iPhone to press play, and we have music.

I keep expecting something to explode, that was far too easy!

teasel
    Free Member

Welcome to the 21st century.

ajantom

I know, took me a while 😉

It is sat next to a Technics and on top of an Expidit with 2000+ LPs in. So I’m still very much keeping the 20th C alive.

teasel
    Free Member

Recently called quits on an ancient Techics valve amp so I’m not really in a position to throw stones n all.

Also, despite being an owner of various Apple stuff I still don’t own the lovely device you mention, instead opting for the regular insertion of the good old 3mm jack plug.

I’m hardly an exponent for the future of music…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes nice and simple ! I do find occasional wifi drop out but thats not an Apple issue imo.

ajantom

No drop outs yet.
    I am however eyeing the pile of 700+ CDs and wondering how long it’s going to take me to import them all to iTunes.

Del

meh. 4 chromecast here. music in bedroom, kitchen, lounge and garage. simultaneously, or any combination. from phone or any other device on the network. for 60 quid.
    loser!
    😉

CountZero

I am however eyeing the pile of 700+ CDs and wondering how long it’s going to take me to import them all to iTunes.

It’ll be a sight quicker than putting 700 vinyl albums onto cassette!
    You could easily get through ten to twenty in an uninterrupted evening of ripping.

ajantom

A couple of years ago my wife suggested that I could record all of my records onto the computer, thus saving lots of space (she also hinted that if I then sold them we could use the money for home furnishings).

For her troubles she received a blank stare and the suggestion that we took photos of all her clothes and shoes, which we could then sell on too. The issue hasn’t been raised since 😀

andyl
    Free Member

got airplay on my Denon AV amp. Works a lot more reliably than the chromecast audio. Which is irritating as I run 100% android, partner has ipad

timmys

To speed this up there’s a setting in iTunes for “What to do when a CD is inserted” to be “Import and Eject”. So you simply have to feed it a new CD every time it spits one out.

ajantom

Already on it 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Apple AirPlay – well that was weirdly easy.’ is closed to new replies.