Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Apple 2017 WWDC – excited, bored, indifferent?
  • zilog6128

MacBook Pro now six years old and getting very sloooooow

Just installed Sierra on my dad’s 2012 MBP… running super fast again now. Have you done that & also got an SSD in yours?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Anyone watch any of it? Impressed? Unimpressed? Couldn’t care less?

I use a Mac for work and have one at home. I have two iPhones (work and personal) and several iPods of various vintage.

Since the 7 came out without a headphone jack I really couldn’t care less. I even ‘upgraded’ to the latest OS, found various useful programs don’t work with it, so restored the previous OS from back-up. When they do something genuinely useful I’ll contemplate looking again, but until then – meh.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

MacBook Pro now six years old and getting very sloooooow so I suspect I’ll be buying an iMac before long, and native QR reading on iOS is A Good Thing too, I think.

Another vote for an SSD. Biggest positive difference in the performance of both aforementioned Macs.

retro83
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member
    The whole case acts as a heatsink. The old chunky 27″ iMacs ran red hot, the new ones run very cool, so I guess they’ve got the cooling sorted. Plus the Pro will have fans which the current ones don’t.

Nonetheless, to be able to deal with that amount of heat in such a thin design is really impressive. ECC memory + dat screen too 8)

WANT

prawny

Files and drag and drop on the iPad look like they’re almost there at making a proper laptop alternative for casual users. Almost.

Shame my iPad is so old it’s unsupported, looks like I’ll get that surface pro instead.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Apple are saving the good stuff for later in the year > 10th Anniversary iPhone. There were sneak peaks here into iOS / P2P Apple Pay payments / AI / Home etc and what is likely to be released alongside the next iPhone / available to developers to build against. Interesting to developers more than consumers which to be fair is the point of WWDC.

Macbook Pro’s are still terrible unless you want a weight decrease or to look good in the coffee shop. No ports, no esc key, the only good dock requires a PSU. That is why pro users are still buying the top spec 2015 model Grrrrr.

MSP

Apple are saving the good stuff for later in the year > 10th Anniversary iPhone.

What can they really do that is “the good stuff”. It will just be more incremental improvements, the same problems facing all smart phone manufacturers now, it is a mature technology. Maybe someone can come up with a killer new direction for using mobile technology, but I doubt it.

I will be amazed if they come up with anything that tempts me to upgrade from my 6s.

pat12
    Free Member

A wireless keyboard with numeric keypad – finally.

hallelujah….hallelujah….hal…..lelu…..jah!!!!!!!!

(Now they just need to put the # key somewhere sensible and I’ll be happy)

drlex
    Free Member

Macbook Pro’s are still terrible unless you want a weight decrease or to look good in the coffee shop. No ports, no esc key, the only good dock requires a PSU. That is why pro users are still buying the top spec 2015 model Grrrrr.

Not just pro users – I want to get a 13″ MacBook with a USB port, and after yesterday, I will now have to scour the refurb store for an old Air or Pro.

rs
    Free Member

I want an updated mac mini with apple tv functionality and 4k content from apple, I want a bluetooth keyboard with integrated track pad to work said devices from the sofa, that’s all 🙁

Nothing else really grabbed me, maybe iOS updates for iPad.

sillysilly
    Free Member

@MSP > Since the iPhone4 the innovations from a tech perspective have all been incremental / a tad disappointing. There has been little change to the form factor over 3x devices now so a major overhaul is expected. When you add up a few potential incremental innovations that have been held back, alongside the aesthetics it could get quite interesting. A lot of their user base are still on versions 5-6 with no real reason to upgrade.

* Wireless charging > Long range is a long shot but even if it is standardised (Apple has now joined the wireless power consortium/Qi) we could start to see standardised charging integrated into coffee shop tables / trains / plaines etc. Starbucks and other F&B business in the US are already starting rollouts.
    * Improved battery life in combination with the above.
    * Camera tech from the 7+ into smaller models with faster lens / optical zoom / stabilisation. Alongside more memory and battery they will eat more into the nonSLR digital camera market. Battery life alone is the only reason I’ll take out my Cannon G if I don’t want to carry an SLR.
    * Core ML + ApplePay / Homekit and Homepod – Up to the Devs here but expect something of note from those close to Apple on launch. Imagine if Garmin and/or Strava/GoPro thrown some money into CoreML, or Apple throws some money to Garmin and/or Strava/GoPro to develop using this from an MTB perspective alone. ApplePay P2P alongside challenger banks in the UK. A lot potential here, looks interesting to me playing in this space.

Maybe I’m expecting too much 🙂

ratherbeintobago

Just installed Sierra on my dad’s 2012 MBP… running super fast again now. Have you done that & also got an SSD in yours?

On Sierra with 16Gb RAM. No SSD though.

alcolepone
    Free Member

Notice new it’s ditches 32bit support. Iphone5 is obsolete along with ipad4. No new apps will work with them.

fisha
    Free Member

Its all a mit meh for me to be honest.

I’ve long thought its crazy to not be able to upgrade the basics of memory and and SSD in machines. Its a common comment made by lots of people. For a company that makes decisions based on energy savings, its hypocritical to chuck out a machine and get a whole new one for the sake of a simple upgrade.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Some more interesting stuff regarding new features in High Sierra on this page

Being able to have an iCloud storage plan for the family is very welcome 🙂

kimbers

are apple doing Qi now?

something i really liked in my old nexus4

CountZero

The iMac Pro looks like a good machine. Though I’m quite curious how well the top specced version will cope with cooling an 18 core Xeon chip.

It apparently has two large cooling slots in the bottom of the case and a pair of cooling fans inside the case.

be able to upgrade the basics of memory and and SSD in machines. Its a common comment made by lots of people. For a company that makes decisions based on energy savings, its hypocritical to chuck out a machine and get a whole new one for the sake of a simple upgrade.

Why would you need to chuck out the machine?
    Either sell it, as anyone with a bit of nous knows, Apple kit keeps high second-hand value, or repurpose it; the place I used to work was using Macs from another place I worked at, including one that was built in 2001!
    They were used as servers, or for other purposes.
    For anyone other than an absolute spec obsessive, a five or six year old iMac is a perfectly usable machine for anything a regular user in prepress or design; I know, because I know, and worked with until very recently, people who were using such machines.

Notice new it’s ditches 32bit support. Iphone5 is obsolete along with ipad4. No new apps will work with them.

Already starting to happen, although the greater majority of apps that don’t get updated haven’t been updated in ages anyway, and could do with being dumped; if the designer can’t be arsed to keep an interest, then it’s going to be worthless anyway.
    One thing that’s been noticed in the beta of I OS11, Apple has introduced the ability to play FLAC files in iTunes on the iPhone and iPad, I have the Onkyo HT music player app on my phone, it allows FLAC files to be played, but in order to do so it requires a digital feed, so it needs headphones or earphones with a Lightning connector; this will probably be the case with iOS11.
    I’m using earphones with a Lightning adaptor, and not finding any issues with it, in fact it eases stress on the original 3.5mm jack, and I have ordered a new Shure cable with Lightning/CCMX connectors as used on the SE series phones for my MeeAudio Pinnacle P1 ‘phones so I’ll be able to start playing FLAC music files.
    Renders the 3.5mm jack effectively obsolete.
    And about time, it’s almost impossible to make a device waterproof with that sort of connection.

fisha
    Free Member

Why would you need to chuck out the machine?

Because you simply may only want to run with 1 ? My point really comes from notion that if you’re a personal user and buy an apple machine today, its likely going to have 256gb amounts of ssd. Thats fine to a point, but with modern cameras and such, that gets filled up (don’t tell me ‘cloud’ is an alternative for local space).

5 years down the line, the machine is still usable, but burst for space … technology further down the line will have much higher density storage … so why not be able to simply drop in a different SSD as an upgrade … nope, total change of machine required. ( and similarly for failures of components )

I’m bumping my gums I know, but it is something that I find is a significant detractor to buying an apple machine at the moment. I like them, I want to want to buy one, but I just can’t see that compared to other options out there, they are too restrictive further down the line.

retro83
    Free Member

What do you mean? Sony, LG and Samsung managed to achieve IP68 with a 3.5mm socket.

CaptJon
    Free Member

That iMac Pro looks tasty. If they are putting that much into an iMac, i wonder how powerful the new Mac Pro will be!

Del

Renders the 3.5mm jack effectively obsolete.
    And about time, it’s almost impossible to make a device waterproof with that sort of connection.

^ ha. quite. somone better tell sony that sports walkman that used to float around in the tub with me 25 years ago wasn’t waterproof after all 😉

CountZero

Didn’t the Sports Walkman use some sort of rubber bung jobbie? Dunno, never saw the point of wearing the thing in the bath or shower, or wherever.
    Not sure how they waterproof 3.5 sockets on ‘waterproof ‘ phones, all I know is reading on a variety of tech feeds to Flipboard about it being very much easier to seal the body of the device using either Lightning or USB-C, which is why several other manufacturers had started doing it before Apple did.
    What I do know is that I’ve had so many plugs break over the years on a variety of different makes, that it strikes me that something has to be better, and if it brings the benefit of improved sound quality, like being able to buy/RIP everything as FLAC files, then so much the better!
    Capacity is increasing dramatically, the new 10.5″ iPad Pro gets 256/512Gb of storage, the new iP8 will get at least 256, maybe even 512, which is more music than I’ve got in my Library, being able to use FLAC/Lossless with a direct DAC connection via the Lightning plug, which has one built in, surely has to be a good thing?
    Christ, I see so many people whining about the crap quality of MP3’s, yet they seem to be prepared to lose the ability to directly play a superior digital format because they want to hang on to some crappy bit of forty-fifty year-old connective technology, otherwise they have to use a plug-in DAC box, which there have been a number of threads about.
    Actually, it’s 19th century, it was invented by the Victorians for telephone switchboards!
    Isn’t it about time we started to use something that functions better, and gives a better quality result when playing music?
    MP3’s have already been made obsolete, the foundation that supported the format has withdrawn support, and put it behind AAC/MP4, because it’s better, the same should be done, over time, with jack plugs.
    Or else we may as well go back to floppy disks, VHS video and SCART plugs.

fisha
    Free Member

It may be technically better, but that doesn’t make it practically better. The 3.5mm jack works, all the time, every time, across all devices . As a generic end point connection its far better practically than dongles, DAC, etc etc….

There is no single digital connection to replace it at the moment imho. Maybe companies like apple should invest more effort into Thier dacs built into devices .

FuzzyWuzzy

If practicality/backwards compatibility was always the priority we’d be about 20 years behind in technology than where we are now.

As for the Homepod, I think it’s a pretty smart move (in terms of focusing more on the sound quality), sure partly forced on them as Siri is pants but even if Siri were amazing it would still be the right direction for them to go. Home assistants are far too limited at the moment to justify themselves in their own right for most people so playing music through them is key. Sure the quality in a £350 Apple speaker is never going to please an audiophile but I’m guessing it will be good enough for the majority. Presumably they’ll also add better spec’d versions to the line up as time goes on.

simon_g

Computers, smartphones and tablets are all limited to small incremental changes these days so wasn’t expecting anything revolutionary. Easy to forget how far iOS has come in recent years though with lots of small changes. Everything they announced so far seemed good though if not hugely exciting in themselves.

Homepod is interesting, although more for the Airplay2 stuff behind it – if there’s a good uptake of 3rd parties supporting it in their speakers then there could be a good apple-centric solution there. Have Sonos at home and generally it’s a great solution for music, but what drives me nuts is podcasts. I have to either use an external service, or it can play them off my phone but has no awareness of where I am, or setting that it’s been played. I just want to finish off a half-listened podcast while I’m making dinner and there’s no good solution for it.

If in 6-12 months there’s some decent airplay2 speakers out I’d seriously consider flogging my Sonos gear and moving over.

Sandwich

(Now they just need to put the # key somewhere sensible and I’ll be happy)

Alt+3 (Our American friends call it the pound sign as a bit of a clue).

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Apple 2017 WWDC – excited, bored, indifferent?’ is closed to new replies.