Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)
  • Apparently it's Heathrow
  • kimbers

£17Bn will go to pay UK workers and UK companies who pay UK tax

given the huge skills gap in the construction sector at the moment itll require a lot of those dreaded immigrants!

mefty
    Free Member

Deadkennedy – I think you need to look at house prices in South West London, far wealthier area than West Sussex.

franksinatra

I am semi serious here. Is it not about time someone upscaled the catapult / wire system used on aircraft carriers to work on commercial aircraft? It would save massive amounts of fuel, require much shorter runways and would be great fun for the passengers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TrekEX8
    Free Member

Frank, semi-serious or not, stick to the singing!

binners

Can’t they just do what Easyjet do, call it London Central Airport, then build it in Birmingham?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What an omnishambles – great Britain (cough) open to the world and ready to invest in infrastructure….errr…government and opposition cant decide between them what to support and more bloody delays.

At this rate, sign off on new runways at HRW, CAT, STAN, BHAM, MANC, EDINB, GLAS because if the process really takes 30 years plus we need to start the ball rolling now.

LT investment and governments – a recipe for disaster

binners

I think I need to take issue with crap middle-class, home counties protestors.

They’re stood singing..

“Theresa May!
    What would your father say?!”

Thats not protesting! They need to get a bit more Salford….

MoreCashThanDash

Currently visiting the outlaws in Sussex. Environmental campaigners are delighted it’s not Gatwick, according to local news here.

They aren’t environmental campaigners. Environmental campaigners wouldn’t want any airport expansion. What they are is NIMBYs.

Fwiw, having spent 5 happy years in Crawley, surely you’d put the second runway at Gatwick? Environmentally, logistically, strategically, why put everything at Heathrow?

wwaswas

People are saying Boris won’t lie in front of a bulldozer.

I don’t know why, he was happy to lie down the side of a bus.

clodhopper
    Free Member

^Very good. 😀 Your own?

wwaswas

Of course not 🙂

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Zac Golsmith MP resigns but will run as an an Independant and Tories deciding not to launch a candidate in the Byelection. Hmmm.

binners

I’m sure they’re not contesting it as a purely altruistic gesture, and not because it’s a ridiculously cynical stunt, where he gets to ‘do’ principles (a novelty for a tory) stand as an independent, get re-elected, then do as he’s told, and vote with the Tories every single time in parliament, apart from about Heathrow.

And they wonder why we all hate them? They must think we’ve all just fallen out of a ****ing tree

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Bloody Londoners hogging everything again. And still they’re complaining. 🙄

wilburt
    Free Member

Is the desicion making process published somewhere for us all to argue over?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

People who think it could have been anywhere other than Heathrow don’t understand the global airline and aviation industry. It was either Heathrow or nothing. Airlines wouldn’t have stood for any other decision and moved their hubs to other airports. Common spence has prevailed and an expanded Heathrow will be a raging success. My only issue is that while they’re at it they should be building a fourth runway.

This country is desperate for expansion of our entire infrastructure, roads, rail, runways, housing, everything.

matt_outandabout

This country is desperate for expansion of our entire infrastructure, roads, rail, runways, housing, everything.

I think you mean a move from over investing in the south east, to a more even spread across the whole UK? The

franksinatra

Let’s all sign a petition about something!

molgrips
    Free Member

Any airport planners in?

That runway looks a chuffing long way from terminals 1-5!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Any airport planners in?

That runway looks a chuffing long way from terminals 1-5!

That’s why they’re building a new terminal to go with it.

molgrips
    Free Member

So the terminals can now handle the traffic of two runways, but the third runway is going to take some traffic from them? So they are going to be emptier?

scuttler

Ref airport planners, check out a Schiphol map. Runway 6 or whatever it is is nearly in Rotterdam! Crazy Dutch barstads.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

So the terminals can now handle the traffic of two runways, but the third runway is going to take some traffic from them? So they are going to be emptier?

From my understanding of it the new terminal will be for domestic flights and the existing terminals will be for international flights.
    Terminal 1 is due to be starting to get pulled down at the end of this year and at some point terminal 2 will be getting extended.
    I’d imagine that the domestic flights which mover from T5 and T2 to the new terminal will be replaced by more international flights.

kimbers

wow, I knew Zac the racist wasnt exactly overflowing with either principles or spunk but, man what a damp squib

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/25/zac-goldsmith-hates-the-third-runway-so-why-was-his-commons-prot/

May strategically left the room (Johnson & Greening also mysteriously absent)

aaaaaaand Goldsmith bottled it and resigned a bit later on the quiet but will stand as an indie ……. yeah something smells fishy, May has either offered him a deal of some sort or he knows itll get stuck in legal limbo forever

either way Grayling still managed to fluff the announcement with erm, no one actually opposing him 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

Runway 6 or whatever it is is nearly in Rotterdam! Crazy Dutch barstads.

That’s why I spent 15 minutes taxiing after a 1hr15 flight…

andytherocketeer

Runway 6 or whatever it is is nearly in Rotterdam! Crazy Dutch barstads.

It is quite a taxi, over 2 motorways, except it’s in the opposite direction to Rotterdam.

Frankfurt’s 3rd and 4th runways are a bit of a taxi too.

aracer
    Free Member

They’re not contesting it because that would split the vote and pretty much guarantee the Lib Dems winning the seat. As it is there’s a good chance of that anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One of the problems when you get to full capacity on your runways is that if anything goes wrong it ends in delay, for example in fog they have to increase the spacing on landing/takeoff so the schedule gets screwed for the day. Extra capacity can be there for more planes and managing the current ones better.

Melbournes (2 intersecting) so effective 1 runway has issues around weather and other stuff – a jet dropped some engine parts, we were lucky that we could circle for 30mins others had to land at another airport and refuel before the 15min flight back. Then in bad weather they can cause huge delays by increasing spacing which lasts all day.

aP
    Free Member

The last time we were consulted, apart from all the guff about it being the only way to retain any jobs at all in the whole of west London, the 3rdrunway will be for smaller planes. At the moment the spacing between big and small planes (to stop them from falling out of the sky) was felt to be inefficient and so apart from adding resilience the 3rd runway would increase capacity.
    Their reduction in pollution claims are quite clearly, completely ludicrous.

aracer
    Free Member

Their reduction in pollution claims are quite clearly, completely ludicrous.

I’ve not seen the claims, but I have sat in a plane circling over London for half an hour – if it helps to reduce that then there has to be a benefit.

ahwiles
    Free Member

let’s be honest, by the time it’s built, and in use, a third runway will not mean that the same number of planes have 50% more runway space.

it’ll mean there’s 50% more planes.

i.e. 50% more pollution.

binners

They’re not contesting it because that would split the vote and pretty much guarantee the Lib Dems winning the seat. As it is there’s a good chance of that anyway.

its going to be very interesting to see how much of the vote they take. Seems a lot of moderate Tory voters are also pretty horrified with this new UKIP clone party in power. Its not what they voted for. Looks like Theresa realises this.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ lets hope so because

“die Führerin”

is certainly not the PM a lot of us boring middle centre ground Torys (edging on LibDems) actually want/need or indeed like.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37773052
    Its fairly obvious Grayling doesn’t have clue. “Less disruption… hahahaha. That part of the M25 is already a total nightmare. And “a gentle hill up which the planes would take off…” HAHAHAHA what about landing.? “a gentle hill down which they would land on”? If he was a football manager the crowd would be chanting “you don’t know what you’re doing….”

jambalaya
    Free Member

Seems a lot of moderate Tory voters are also pretty horrified with this new UKIP clone party in power. It

Manifesto commitment to end ECHR jurisdiction, to control immigration, to hold EU Referendum ? That’s exactly what they voted for and got.

By-election is a Goldsmith Vanity project and a waste of tax payers money (as noted by Jess Phillips). Totally pointless.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@gavin planes take off and land in same direction – into the wind. So both uphill in your example, no ?

aracer
    Free Member

Not forgetting the manifesto commitment to stay in the single market, jamba. Though of course you know that it’s impossible to get everything you want in our democracy and many of those voting in the current government simply didn’t want Ed in charge with Nicola pulling his strings.

I’m not sure the by-election is totally pointless – it gives the voters a chance to give the government a kicking, as I’m sure they’ll see Goldsmith as a proxy for the government still. Of course it’s likely he’ll try and fight it on a single issue, but then I presume the Lib Dems aren’t strongly in favour of the extra runway and can easily put up a candidate also standing on the ticket of opposing it, hence moving it to other ground.

aracer
    Free Member

Well it depends which direction the wind happens to be blowing in – it’s not always going to be an uphill landing.

binners

aP
    Free Member

A runway raised 8m above existing ground level will have some interesting noise pollution issues in the surrounding area – probably up to about 5 or 6 miles away. Or what happens with a bad landing, one where the plane comes in hot and can’t stop before the end of the runway, or veers off the line?
    I really don’t think they’ve thought this through.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Apparently it's Heathrow’ is closed to new replies.