Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)
  • Apparently it's Heathrow
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Took me an hour to get from M25 to inside T5 HRW due to gridlock on slip road. I hope they have plans for the infrastructure!!

W

ratnips
    Free Member

#NorthernPowerhouse #WestLondonPowerhouse

br
    Free Member

Crackers, should be building new ones at both Gatwick and Heathrow 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Didnt we know this several years ago?

It’s been the obvious decision for 15 years. Long overdue.

@Mike I usually drive to the Alps (much less environmentally sound than flying as a matter of fact). When I fly I usually go from Gatwick or Southampton (partly as I like flying in turbo-prop aircraft). When I was flying to NY once a month I went Virgin from Gatwick. As employers airline contract is with BA most business flights for past decade have been from Heathrow.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

B r. …. That + 1

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So why prattle on about China building airports? Bit easier with a dictatorship and a massively growing economy/slave labour

ahwiles
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    …as a matter of fact…

it depends how many people are in the car…

(if it’s more than one person, a car will use less fuel per passenger-journey, assuming approx 40mpg)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Because Greenpeace etc are out in force about environmental concerns. Pure NIMBY-ism. I do understand, I have many friends in Richmond who don’t want more flights, they want the airport expansion NIMBY

I think it’s ridiculous we close Northern Europe’s coal mines and then just buy everything from China which is coal-fuel central.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the Northern coal mines weren’t closed to reduce pollution…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@awhiles, I do normally drive down on my own and it’s not just about fuel burnt is it, it’s all the other stuff – emissions etc

We need more airport capacity.

Further more IMO the best way to boost regional development in the UK is airports NOT new high speed trains. Yes buy new rolling stock and maintain the tracks but don’t spend £32bn to save 30+ mins London to Birmingham

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTNuldPhP20[/video]

Nico
    Free Member

I usually drive to the Alps (much less environmentally sound than flying as a matter of fact).

The environmental harm of flying is not due to high fuel consumption but the release of greenhouse gases at high altitude where they are vastly more harmful. Obviously there are environmental factors other than greenhouse gases – hence the absurd situation with diesel cars and tax rates.

An airport in the Midlands would have been a better place for expansion imho.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

The Northern Powerhouse – my mistake they meant Manchester and Leeds the North East is the Northern s**t house apparently….

xora

So new runway at Heathrow which will never be built as brexit destroys the economy and moves the ideal hub into mainland Europe so passenger numbers fall at Heathrow making it not needed.

Well it could be worse, it could be like building an airport in Berlin 😀

dragon
    Free Member

Should just re-brand Northolt as Heathrow C, job done.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think it’s disgusting the way the environmental issues have been fudged – offset the increased pollution from aircraft with cleaner cars when car manufacturers have been cheating the emissions tests!!

WTF???!!!

It’ll be so held up & so over budget it’ll make HS2 look like a good deal…

aracer
    Free Member

Reading http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37667371 it is a bit amusing reading all the complaints from people who moved to the village 20 or 30 years ago. “It’ll be a plane-spotter’s paradise. But the thing is, I’m not a plane-spotter.” – I’m sure there were other villages you could have moved to in that case.

aP
    Free Member

Further more IMO the best way to boost regional development in the UK is airports NOT new high speed trains. Yes buy new rolling stock and maintain the tracks but don’t spend £32bn to save 30+ mins London to Birmingham

Not there’s any spare capacity to actually run those trains on the tracks, which is what HS2 is providing.

aP
    Free Member

At the T5 public inquiry there was a completely clear statement, made under oath, that there would be no further expansion of Heathrow, which many people relied upon.

I’m sure there were other villages you could have moved to in that case.

What other villages would you suggest?

matt_outandabout

What other villages would you suggest?

wilburt
    Free Member

No matter where I’ve lived in the UK Heathrow has been a pain to get to.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s always been handy for me. And I suspect quite a few people.

aP
    Free Member

Its extremely handy for me, but that doesn’t mean that I’m keen on it being expanded. Particularly as the business case is so specious.
    I’m beginning to think that the UK is increasingly going to end up like Edinburgh in the Quintilian Dalrymple books by Paul Johnson.

So here’s the set-up. The United Kingdom (and much of Europe) has been torn apart by drugs wars in the early years of the twenty-first century. Gangs of criminals run wild in most areas, but Edinburgh is different. In the last election of 2003, the people vote in the Enlightenment Party, a small grouping of university professors that promises to get rid of crime. They succeed in doing so, forming themselves into a Council of City Guardians backed up by a powerful force of auxiliaries (policemen and bureaucrats) – their ideas came from Plato, that well-known thinker and proto-fascist. The ordinary citizens, as the bulk of the population is termed, benefit from guaranteed work, housing, welfare and lifelong education. They also attend a compulsory sex session every week. On the downside, the regime has banned cars, computers, smoking, television, private phones and popular music – and your partner in the weekly sex session is chosen for you by the authorities. Of course, things are not what they seem in this supposedly benevolent totalitarian system. Far from doing away with crime, the guardians have only pushed it underground. They are too busy looking after the tourists who come to Edinburgh for the year-round festival, the gambling, the licensed brothels and the marijuana clubs. And where there’s sex, drugs and rock’n’roll, you can be sure that crime will raise its ugly head…

agent007
    Free Member

Good decision, should also also built one at Gatwick too and link both airports together via a super fast transit system.

aracer
    Free Member

You should move to Harmondsworth

jimdubleyou

Good decision, should also also built one at Gatwick too and link both airports together via a super fast transit system.

Yup – if only the hyper loop was ready…

edhornby

If they changed the rules on non-domicile status they would suddenly find a load of capacity because there won’t be loads of flights in and out European tax havens

TiRed

Gatwick will be built first. Other countries seem to have fewer problems delivering major infrastructure. We just seem to bodge and mend.

And I live in a village that sees 350 flights a day fly over at about 1500 feet. I rather like the planes, but don’t think that a third runway is really the answer here. I think we need some form of balanced capacity, as a foggy day in Hounslow isn’t going to be eased by an extra runway.

deadkenny
    Free Member

There was no way it was ever going to be Gatwick. Rich West Sussex land where Tory MPs have out of town property, influential millionaires, land owners, councillors and horsey folk who wouldn’t like that extra bit of noise over their fields, but few if any have to lose their homes.

vs

“Poor” people living round the shithole that is Heathrow getting turfed out of their houses to build a runway where no one of importance will really be bothered, plus would welcome the convenience of Heathrow.

Obvious.

It may never actually get built, but for the next 20 years we’ll be footing the bill in the 10s or 100s of £billions to plan, develop and the cost of fighting thousands of cases in court over the eviction plans. If they ever do start on it and it’s the runway over the M25 job, then that’s a decade of misery for the M25.

aracer
    Free Member

The M25 tunnel seems a daft idea. Given the M25 is already there, wouldn’t it be cheaper and easier to put the new runway in a tunnel instead?

aP
    Free Member

Shall i repeat it estimated £17Bn just for the public infrastructure…!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Also, they could change the nationality of current immigrants to that of the UK to fawn cheap labour “from out of the British skills pool” Save all the hassle of Brexiters sending em’ home, to bring em’ all back in again when

“die Führerin”

realises the UK has limited skill base.

But the BenitoBrexiters will be ousted from Government 18mths into A50 negotiations, so who really GAS except the reams of civil servants and lawyers achingly waiting in eager anticipation of inflated invoices and scrubbed time sheet misinterpretations…

I fail to see why this runway hasn’t been added to Stansted or Gatters or Manchester or Leeds with an intergrated transport system instead of the unwholesome abomination of service providers intent on providing “shareholder value” whilst simultaneously treating the general paying public like leaches.

Phew, I’m a bit worked up I am.. 😆

agent007
    Free Member

Yes but provided the UK Government is sensible (for once) and awards the major contracts to UK based contractors then that £17Bn will go to pay UK workers and UK companies who pay UK tax etc. Basically through one tax or another most will eventually end up back in the hands of HMRC.

Plus if we don’t spend the £17Bn then Frankfurt or Ansterdam etc will and we’ll end up loosing a lot of business!

I fail to see why this runway hasn’t been added to Stansted or Gatters or Manchester or Leeds

Manchester already has it’s second runway!

molgrips
    Free Member

Given the M25 is already there, wouldn’t it be cheaper and easier to put the new runway in a tunnel instead?

That would be freakin awesome.

“BA294 you are clear to land”
    “Roger that…. whhoooooooAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!”

One would assume someone’s looked into it enough to consider there’s at least a reasonable chance they’ll get their money back.

theotherjonv

estimated £17Bn just for the public infrastructure…!

That’s only a year’s worth of money that we aren’t now spending on the NHS.

matt_outandabout

£17bn

That makes the Forth Crossing an absolute bargain, especially as it is £145m less than the quote.

I bet Heathrow won’t be under quote…

Cougar

Just heard the news headlines on the radio.

“The government has given the go-ahead for a third runway at Heathrow. Demolition has started in the ‘jungle’ migrant camp in Calais.”

How big’s that ‘kin runway going to be? 😯

aP
    Free Member

That’s not for the new runway and terminals. That’s just to reroute the M25, new link into the M4 and probably and extension to HEx.

dragon
    Free Member

I thought that’s what everyone wanted more government spending on these kind of projects as investment? Proper Keynesian policies.

On location whether Heathrow is okay to get to depends where you live, but for anyone to the West it is pretty darn easy, the M4, M3 and M40 all come in very close, and then there is the train from London out.

Gatwick on the other hand is awful to get to unless you live in London or Gatwick’s surrounding area.

agent007
    Free Member

I bet Heathrow won’t be under quote…

It will stand a much better chance now that a decision has been made if people are co-operative and respect the decision! If they don’t then £Billions of public money will be wasted on endless consultations/legal battles/disruption that could perhaps much better be spent on education or NHS etc?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Apparently it's Heathrow’ is closed to new replies.