Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)
  • Apparently it's Heathrow
  • thejesmonddingo

Latest news on BBC says the expansion will be at Heathrow,how long before Boris quits the cabinet,and starts lying under excavators?

footflaps

how long before Boris quits the cabinet,and starts lying under excavators?

Please let it be true….

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I don’t think there was ever any doubt that Heathrow would get the nod for this.

njee20
    Free Member

Hasn’t Heathrow already had the nod for this about 3 times!?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m sure Boris has an alternative view that Heathrow is the best place for the expansion and shortly will point out that’s what he thought all along.

aP
    Free Member

Its an easily made but significantly flawed decision, which will materially affect about 2 million people every day.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Statement live from Grayling to confirm. Disgrace it’s taken this long to decide.

FWIW they should approve runways / expansion at Gatwick, Birmingham, Manchester etc too. In the time it’s taken to approved the Chinese have built / expanded close to 30 airports

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I don’t think there was ever any doubt that Heathrow would get the nod for this.

I believed Mr Cameron, my faith in politicians has taken away by this one incident 😐

Mr Cameron in 2009 said: “The third runway at Heathrow is not going ahead, no ifs, no buts.”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did someone say borris?

. In the time it’s taken to approved the Chinese have built / expanded close to 30 airports

Which one is good for getting to the alps?

binners

I expect a piece Boris wrote for the Telegraph, but didn’t publish, proclaiming the multitudinous virtues of Heathrow expansion will be leaked shortly

footflaps

I expect a piece Boris wrote for the Telegraph, but didn’t publish, proclaiming the multitudinous virtues of Heathrow expansion will be leaked shortly

🙂

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Its was pretty inevitable I think. Where ever they built it near London was going to be bad for somebody. It would actually have made more sense to announce both heathrow and Gatwick and split it but guess the money isn’t there to do that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have no opinion either way whether its Heathrow or Gatwick, but am gastflabbered by the time it’s take to gather information, manipulate it, ignore those who have a direct concern over it, those affected by it, those that will now derail and coerce, and add to another 10 years of pissing around whilst the UK gets stuffed during Brexit and Governments change and alter strategies 1m times.

Steaming pile of horse shit, the whole fiasco.

We need a live TV Broadcast of Boris under a diggers shovel. Obvz that’ll be driven by an Immigrant to which Bozza will choke on his own vomit when he finds out.

wwaswas

Theresa May has made her own position very clear. I hope she takes a principled stand.

aP
    Free Member

Obvz that’ll be driven by an Immigrant to which Bozza will choke on his own vomit when he finds out

You know Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is American?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Didnt we know this several years ago?

andytherocketeer

Better option than trying to build an island in the sea, relocating an RSPB heron reserve, and transport links to London that would be about 45 minutes rather than 20, but needing the fastest trains in Europe (faster than the St. Pancras – Ebbsfleet line is operated at).
    Nothing to stop them building more runways at Gatwick too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nothing to stop them building more runways at Gatwick too.

I think you can only get one plane through the time warp at a time…

johnners
    Free Member

Didnt we know this several years ago?

It’s a hardy annual, it just keeps coming back year after year. AFAIK Parliament won’t be voting on it until next year so until then it’s just the usual puff. I liked Ben Goldacre’s tweet on the subject:

“If you’re having more airport it has to be Heathrow, but I do feel sad for those who bought houses there before the airport, in 1946”

aP
    Free Member

So, bi-election in south west London in 6 weeks then? Has the dog-whistler resigned his seat yet?

scud
    Free Member

I would like to see how much tax payers money has been blown with dithering over this for so many years?

i guess the decision comes now in a desperate hope of trying to keep Heathrow a hub for ongoing travel and London one of the European centres for business in the wake of brexit?

footflaps

You know Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is American?

yes, but he’s white, so counts as being British under Tory rules….

aP
    Free Member

So the cost to the public of providing increased access to the extended airport will be the same as that of delivering Crossrail. This doesn’t include the costs of building the new runway and terminals which will be paid for by passengers (apparently).

woody74

God we love to tit about at making decisions in this country. Personally think it’s a stupid idea to build another runway in the south east. Activity and people need to be moving out of the south east not more into it.

Now we have to endure all the news of the legal challenge, public enquiry, environmental audits, etc, etc. I bet the diggers won’t start work for another 10 years.

I bet the Queen isn’t happy that more planes will be flying over Windsor. It would be bloody brilliant if she kiboshed the idea.

ctk
    Free Member

It wont happen again IMO.

A proper joined up transport policy would be brill including HS2, freight trains, airports, motorways etc.

I bet* Corbyn comes up with one soon and it’ll be ace but roundly denounced by the media.

*Just a figure of speech, won’t be betting with my money.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I bet Corbyn comes up with one soon and it’ll be ace but roundly denounced by the media

Breath not held on that one….
    He could start by moving a heap of government out of London, banish a few corps and the rest

scud
    Free Member

There will probably be a 10 year consultation now about whether they sort out the M25 round the Heathrow junctions to deal with the extra traffic, or whether they just turn it into the car park it is at rush hour there now instead.

kimbers

Zac the racist is announcing his resignation later

will be very unpopular in the constituencies of May and Johnson, tho safe Tory seats Im sure it wont matter

besides which years of legal battles will ensue, good day for lawyers

noise pollution around heathrow is already horrendous, used to live a few miles from the flight path and it was grim

TrekEX8
    Free Member

This decision, whatever it decided, should have been made years ago.
    I take some comfort that this government actually seems willing to make decisions on things which predecessors were happier to simply kick into the long grass for their own self interest.

molgrips
    Free Member

Activity and people need to be moving out of the south east not more into it.

As if simply building an airport up north is going to change that.

The South East has been the place everything happens for at least three thousand years, a bit of infrastructure isn’t going to change that. London’s where it is for a reason.

The only way to change that is to have a multi-decade plan that forces people to spread out, and that would certainly harm the precarious economy. The Chinese don’t have this problem because they are the major producer of cheap stuff and the government can do more or less what it likes because people will still want cheap stuff.

nick1962
    Free Member

SNP spokesman(with a wry smile) on TV calling for a vote in parliament on the decision asap.SNP are supporting it apparently.Methinks they are playing politics-give the London cosmopolitan crowd a taste of their own medicine with Scotland dictating what goes on in the capital instead of vice versa and kicking up a sh*tstorm in the the process.I reckon this may bring this Tory government down if Brexit doesn’t first.

binners

So we’ve another multi-squillion pound, environment-trashing white elephant, that only big business consultants and corporate lawyers want, to go alongside HS2 (which still won’t provide a direct link with Heathrow and ‘there-be-dragons country north of Watford) and Hinkley Point.

Theresa does like her vanity projects, doesn’t she?

I expect she’ll leave the announcement of the new Royal Yacht for a few weeks

binners

The South East has been the place everything happens for at least three thousand years

You missed the industrial revolution Molls. Unless I’m very much mistaken, and the view out of my window suggests I’m not, I think that generally went on a bit further north. Don’t worry though. It was only a trifling matter that had no impact on the wider world

tthew

There will probably be a 10 year consultation now about whether they sort out the M25 round the Heathrow junctions to deal with the extra traffic,

A statement on Radio 4 by one of the commentators, (can’t remember which one) suggested that the M25 is going to have to be shifted to accommodate the new runway, so presumably it’ll be done at the same time.

Presumably also leading to about 5 years of congestion misery locally.

kimbers

So when will it be built ? 2.5 years of consultations apparently

extra delays for legal challenges
    then demolish the villages, at least 3-4 years to build

we’ll be well out of the EU by then, we already have a large construction skills gap….. have to find some more immigrants then

at least 2 general elections between now and 2025 when it might be finished

andytherocketeer

Going to have to be a tunnel under the new runway isn’t it?
    Else it’s quite a diversion.

binners

Is now an appropriate time to bring up massive conveyor belts and 747’s?

aP
    Free Member

SNP have done a deal with Heathrow.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Still only 3 hours on the train from Heathrow to the Northern Powerhouse, what’s not to like?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Apparently it's Heathrow’ is closed to new replies.