Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Apparently, I'm still 'overweight'
  • tommid
    Free Member

How did you lose 15kg?

SaxonRider

How did you lose 15kg?

Did more; ate less.

Helpful, huh? 😉

Seriously, using MFP, I limited myself to 1900 cals per day, and have lowered this on various occasions since I started. On top of that, I no longer drive anywhere unless it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, which means that, other than a single monthly appointment, I pretty much use the commuter bike for everything.

On top of that, I try to make sure I get at least two 30-mile road rides in at the weekend, and I have joined a hockey team.

All in all, on top of the calorie monitoring, I just became more active again.

wilburt
    Free Member

So can you “pinch an inch” that’s fat and even if visible fat is minimal the last fat to go is visceral.
    I think BMI is close enough that you should be within the quite broad range even if thats gonna be at the top of that range.
    I say that as a 85kg 183cm who most people would say is slim but then most people are very fat!

bikebouy
    Free Member

FIFY

shermer75
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    so given BMI can be a bit rubbish, whats the waist/hip/arse measurement thing we’re supposed to take into account as well? Something to do with apples and pears.

As an approximate guide if your waist is less than half your height you are doing ok

mccraque

I’m also obese according to the BMI thing. But I tend to ignore that. I train 5 times a week – mixing weights, cardio (running and riding)

Look at the lean mass %.

….Or maybe I am fat and just kidding myself.

shermer75
    Free Member

OP the first thing I’d check is that you are measuring your waist accurately (above hips, below ribs, don’t squeeze! 😉 ). If you are then I’d say you are a healthy weight and it is time to start focussing on maintaining rather than losing any more- beware, this is often the hardest part! Learn good eating habits though and you’ll be fine.
    Also, latest evidence would indicate that your exercise regime sounds perfect for mainatining good health*- frequent, daily exercise of at least half an hour rather all in one massive lump at the weekend.

shermer75
    Free Member

*’maintaining good health’ is an overused and annoying term so I’ll be specific: What I mean is increasing your chances of avoiding the lifestyle related diseases that are the most common causes of death in the UK, so heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes etc

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

a dear friend who laughed and said my head was starting to look disproportionately big in comparison to my body

Is this you?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jyi0hb4T5k[/video]

Stoner
    Free Member

As an approximate guide if your waist is less than half your height you are doing ok

Excellent. I’m exactly half as fat as I am lanky 🙂

And my bmi is 25

I still thought there was a waist to hip ratio too.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I still thought there was a waist to hip ratio too.

Don’t know about that, but I reckon that if I have to lean forward to see my todger in the shower, I’m carrying too much weight. 😳

philjunior
    Free Member

I think there are 2 aspects, difficult to know which are at play to what degree.

1) We’re used to people being overweight. The majority of adults are overweight. Some people will think you’re unhealthily slim when you’re at your best weight.

2) The BMI is a blunt tool.

Unless you’re mentally ill (if you find yourself reaching one weight loss target and always making another, it might be worth considering this possibility) then get to a weight/build you’re happy with and ignore what other people say.

I think this is particularly pronounced for women, who when they’re the biggest among their peers will lose weight and find that as they get slimmer than each of their peers, that peer no longer thinks they should be slimmer/says they’re a stick insect etc.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

BMI is a great tool for reminding us that today’s “normal” is very different from the same concept two generations ago.

I like the fact that it gives me a much needed kick up the arse – having just lost close to two stones recently 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Apparently, I'm still 'overweight'’ is closed to new replies.