Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Apparently bikes are like handbags
  • spacemonkey

This evening I discussed with the missus the idea of buying N+1. It’s a gravel bike and would complement my MTB and road bike. I explained its virtues and USPs over the aforementioned.

Her answer was “You spending £650 on a bike is like me spending the same on a handbag.”

“It’s not really, is it?” I countered. “I’d like a new (secondhand) bike that gives me a different set of riding options … really well suited to this time of year blah blah … I’ll use it regularly … it’s a well-being thing …”

“No. It’s something you ‘want’ not something you ‘need’. You already have two bikes and don’t need another.”

And so it went on. Mostly niceties. I opted not to finish with “I have two bikes, you have ten handbags.”

Anyone else had similar conversations?

scotroutes

Shoes.

I compare them to shoes.

You wouldn’t wear climbing boots to a dance or slippers to the office. You have shoes for certain purposes. Same with bikes.

survivor

I’m off to the Doctors first thing.

I thought she had a point while reading that. 😯

hodgynd
    Free Member

Naaah ..not really as I’ve no interest in road or gravel biking..
    One thing I have learnt though is that any argument with the missus I’m very definitely destined to lose ( even when I’m right ) 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

You already have two bikes and don’t need another.”

thats a 50% increase – quite significant. I just went from 8 to 9; a much more appropriate 12% increase. 8)

russyh
    Free Member

My favourite is my wife’s excitement at bonus time…god forbid the reaction when I suggest I spend some of the money I have earned on a bike…money I have basically slutted myself mentally for! I won some holiday vouchers this week! She was frothing with excitement when I suggested I spend £500 on myself as a well done you would think I had just pulled my trousers down and shat on the lounge carpet!

DickBarton

Nope but then I only have 1 bike and don’t need or want another. I can only ride 1 at a time and any more means more maintenance and more settings to remember.

orangeboy
    Free Member

my Bikes are nothing like her bags , the bags are far cheaper not that I’d ever admit that to her though

Rorschach
    Free Member

Must be the latest ‘on trend’ model-check
    Must be in this seasons ‘colourway’-check
    Must match your oufit-check
    Must be from a fashionable brand-check
    She’s pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’m curious as to which retains its value better bags or bikes ?

aracer
    Free Member

Especially given the OP is apparently planning on getting a “gravel” bike 😆

Goldigger
    Free Member

Just buy your bike and her a handbag..she won’t say she didn’t need it.

Personally if I want something I just buy it without consulting my Mrs, after all it’s my money and I pay all the bills 😀

RestlessNative
    Free Member

My wife has 2 horses so I can pretty much justify as many bikes as I want…as it is I very moderately have 3….though I may be about to change one of them 😉

samcheese
    Free Member

The comparison of handbags and bicycles is nonsensical on utility grounds alone.

A handbag, no matter how expensive, has no more utility than a 10p ASDA bag-for-life.

Divorce your wife immediately.

falkirk-mark

I kinda get that argument in that sometimes I am worse than a woman for deciding what bike I am taking out.

phil5556

No problem here, it’s my money, I spend it on what I want. And she can spend hers on whatever she chooses. As it is she doesn’t have that many handbags and we both have the same number of bikes.

angeldust
    Free Member

Mtfu. As long as the new bike doesn’t compromise food on the table or the roof over your head, and the kids/dependents are not going to loose out as a result, just do it. Your wife obviously is not going to understand. Buy her something nice too, but not a £650 handbag.

Asking in the first place was the problem here. You can either afford it or you can’t.

TiRed

It’s a pretty low-rent handbag.

I also use the analogy of shoes. Until you look at my bike shoe collection!

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Why bother with a utility argument?

‘I want to get another bike’
    ‘Why?’
    ‘Because I like bikes’

That’s how my purchases go. Granted there is a sensible discussion about where to keep them

andytheadequate
    Free Member

It’s a pretty good argument really. Bags are useful, as are bikes. Different types of bags can be useful in certain circumstances, as can different type of bikes. People tend to switch bikes/ bags for fashion reasons as well as practical.

It’s also possible to get away with “only” 1 or 2 bikes/ bags, but you may be compromising suitability slightly by doing so. You can ride a mountain bike for “gravel” riding, you don’t need a gravel bike, but it won’t be as much fun. You don’t want a gravel bike for utility, you want it for enjoyment. Biking is only useful if you use it as a means of transport, not riding for riding sake, and any bike can be used for this.

As a society we love buying stuff that we don’t really need but enjoy. As long as you can afford it then buy whatever you want to, whether bikes or bags.

fossy

It’s bikes vs Sewing Machines in my house. 5 bikes vs 6 sewing machines. And the machines cost as much as very good bikes, one was £3k.

shermer75
    Free Member

“I have two bikes, you have ten handbags.”

I’d say if your gf has ten handbags then, yes, she absolutely does have a point. ‘Cos you want ten bikes, right?!?!?

wilburt
    Free Member

Trouble is I like bikes and bags and sewing machines(and tech and shoes and whiskys and pictures) doesn’t really matter though cos I buy whatever I like 🙂

thenorthwind

bag-for-life

You’ll probably stand more chance of winning the argument if you don’t call her that.

(c) Roger Mellie

vincienup
    Free Member

My wife has 2 horses so I can pretty much justify as many bikes as I want…as it is I very moderately have 3….though I may be about to change one of them

When it can easily cost £400 a month per horse or more just to keep them upright, you have a very good point!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I opted not to finish with “I have two bikes, you have ten handbags.”

Which one of those ten handbags does she keep your testicles in?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Apparently bikes are like handbags’ is closed to new replies.