Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Apologies in advance…..but tell me about dry verge caps V regular pointing!
  • beagle
    Free Member

We’re having the roofline done soon. old soffits off, replaced in UPVC etc etc. We are going with a very well respected company, local and supplied us with Windows for a recent extension. Don’t like the idea of dry verge caps as I think they look a bit fugly. Granted, we don’t live in something featured on grand designs.

We’ve been quoted including dry verge caps, I’m thinking I’d like them at the back as access to the roofline is difficult due to the new extension. However, not sure at the front where we* could get up there and repoint every few years. Could look a lot better without.

Any thoughts on the caps? Are they low/no maintenance? Hold tiles on better?

*The Royal we!

scotroutes

Meh. Zero maintenance wins it for me. I’ve got better things to do with my time than be fannying around up a ladder – and better things to do with my money than pay someone else to do it for me 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Verge pointing is a strange thing. It’s never as good as when the tiles were originally laid upon it pushing it down into the laths. In fact latest nhbc guide lines suggest it should be one continous bed. Depending on what tiles and profile I’d consider it.

Squirrel

Mortar-bedded verges seem to be increasingly discouraged now due to the risk of failure.

mick_r

You can get a continuous strip dry verge rather than the individual caps that sometimes looks better. Holds the tiles better than cracked mortar 🙂

dabaldie
    Free Member

We always specify dry verges, usually the continuous ones if we have a choice. Also bear in mind that ALL ridges must now be mechanically (dry) fixed to comply with BS5534 so might as well go with a completely “dry” system.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Apologies in advance…..but tell me about dry verge caps V regular pointing!’ is closed to new replies.