Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Apologies If its been done, but what the heck…..
  • stanfree
    Free Member

Pinarello foray into overdesign and mtb.

Seriously , It’s way past April the 1 st. Frame forks Stopper , sorry FFS. 😀

Now I’m a fairly average mountain biker and for that matter roadie but even I can see that all these abbreviations and over design are a joke.

Stick to overpriced road bikes please.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

that man doing the voice over seems very well informed… i’m convinced

somafunk

But it comes with penisfit geometry, fork stopper system, x-power seat clamp, monolink cnc’d shock link, Onda curve asymetric stay, rad system brake mount, icr cable routing with adjunctive hole for dropper posts, asc asym suspension, kinematic functions due to carbon flexible arm, built out of aerospace carbon 65HM3K…blah….blah……blah.

I initially thought this was a piss-take but nope….they are deadly serious so it’s a genuine wtf moment when you watch the video, cheers for posting….i think?.

A perfect bike for all the wannabe mtb hero’s that already own a pinarello road bike, as soon any bike company start talking about their products using acronyms then you know it’s bullshit time.

Give me one and i guarantee i’d break it in less than 60 mins, it’s a shite bike for car park posing and if i ever see one on the trails i will just point and laugh till tears roll down my face and i end up in a pool of my own steaming piss.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyl
    Free Member

suerly flexible seatstays to eliminate a pivot have been done for years. eg the yeti 757 from 2006 with carbon flex points.

the fork stopper is a good idea though.

That shock mount that bolts to the BB area is a bit odd. It’s as though they couldnt be bothered to design the frame to take the shock loading.

The seat clamp is interesting too but I’d worry about ripping the screw threads out as it’s basically a stem faceplate but with different loading cases to a stem.

the voice over does sound like a joke though.

_tom_
    Free Member

Doesn’t look that bad for an XC bike?

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Don’t like the seatclamp design – looks cool, but overtightening = new frame. Flexi carbon – got that on my 2002 Scalpel.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Classic – lots of mostly unoriginal ideas with little effect benefitting nebulous concepts like “braking stability”.

Classic marketing BS.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is that 29″ – did they not get the 650b memo??

bonchance
    Free Member

the voice over is a Robot (literally!)

ok computer

kayak23

Nah… Stops you doing barspins.

njee20
    Free Member

I must say I think the fork stopper is a reasonable idea, not exactly original though.

The bike in general seems pretty over engineered though, I really don’t buy the whole asymmetric stuff either, you’ll never offset the additional weight of the entire transmission just by moving the shock 10mm to the left of the frame!

It’ll cost £3k for a frame, and weigh loads too I’ll wager.

plyphon
    Free Member

canyons “fork stopper” (Which actually stopped the headset)was a better solution to that problem imo.

alfabus
    Free Member

ondacurveasymmetric, right 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

Quite nice looking, but a clear winner in the buzzword bingo stakes.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

i gave up when it went on about riding a mtb which feels like a road bike…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is it compatible with baggies? Also will it fit on a standard Audi bike rack?

Stevie-P
    Free Member

4 screws in the seat clamp

😯

Still prefer bolts personally 😉

The fork stopper looks more like a solution to a symptom, rather than good design that would solve the actual problem. Not for me, but I’m sure many will like it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve no sound at work so I can’t hear the voiceover, but I get the gist of a lot of it. First thought is what the heck is going on with the seatclamp? In an accident you’re going to put a lot of stress on those four bolt threads, bonded into a carbon frame. Getting all four bolts tensioned equally on the trail is going to be a nightmare, clearly it’s purpose is as a race bike, not an all day machine.

And why four bolts and a large block of aluminium, when they could have one bolt and a little hoop of the stuff like everyone else does?

The idea that does intrigue me is the shock mount. Why? It seems overly complex.

wrecker
    Free Member

is it compatible with baggies?

I think it’s safe to say that this is for dedicated lycra wearers only.

cookeaa

Interesting I suppose, not actually the ugliest/worst effort at designing MTBs but some of those ideas are a little questionable, especially the seat clamp.

A mate of mine had an ASR-SL for a while with strategically bendy carbon stays in place of a pair of pivots… Nice bike, it did work but I’m not sure i’d want to trust it long term… What I can’t quite figure out is why save on component count and complexity with a one flexible member and then have that expensive and complicated looking bolt together BB/shock mount cobblers??

And that asymmetrically mounted, cantilevered shock bolt???
    That might be a hard sell…

Clearly they’ve had a brief look at some other mountain bikes and decided, “that lot look a bit straight forwards, we can almost certainly over design / under engineer an offroad ego-chariot for an extortionate sum and baffle the consumer with nonsense and a few animations”.

I’m surprised they didn’t do a wibbly legged Rigid fork too. Something like their road forks, there’d be loads more BS-Bingo options with that… or is that available too?

TBF they’ve just spotted the trend for silly expensive MTBs and decided they want a bit of that market too… They are a bicycle company after all.

tinsy
    Free Member

I like it, how much?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Bullsh1t or not, there’s some nice engineering going on there. Not that I’d ever want one mind – think I’d feel like a bit of a tool turning up to a ride on one

prawny

quote]suerly flexible seatstays to eliminate a pivot have been done for years. eg the yeti 757 from 2006 with carbon flex points.[/quote]

Even longer ago than that, remember these

marsdenman
    Free Member

ohhhh, that (electronic) voiceover!
    was it just me that half expected that little lot to finish with the voice speeding up and uttering the likes of..
    ‘For a limited period only get your Dogma Ego Chariot for just £9.99′ – available exclusively Woolworth’s who are to reopen especially to promote this most amazing, must have, thing!’

portlyone

It has a RAD system 8)

patriotpro
    Free Member

Didn’t listen to the vid but man o man that is a lovely looking bicycle.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Got a friend travelling round Treviso at the moment visiting Campy etc. He saw this yesterday and had a good chat with the marketing people, seemed pretty impressed with it.

Still as a brand I’ve never got Pinarello at all, (Banesto/Indurian being the exception)

klumpy
    Free Member

if i ever see one on the trails i will just point and laugh till tears roll down my face and i end up in a pool of my own steaming piss.

That’ll show ’em. 😆

No adjusting seat height without undo-ing 4 bolts or fitting a dropper post. Hardly a step forward. The rest is nonsense or been done before. (Or, this being a mountain bike, both!)

hot_fiat

Ok, so as a piece of engineering its quite clever & a bit different, but they missed a bit: should’ve done away with the saddle and fitted a spike instead.

D0NK

why? in some crashes the bars wanna spin, if you’re worried about the fork crown hitting the frame redesign your downtube like everyone else has. What added value do you get from stopping the forks spinning?

The 1 sided rocker and shock mounts look like purely aesthetic bobbins, 4 bolt seatpost clamp dunno, hows it compare weight wise with a standard collar? coz unless it’s a load lighter you’re preventing bunging a qr on there for no reason that I can see. Rest of it….dunno out of my price range anyway.

Even longer ago than that, remember these

certainly do 🙂

radoggair
    Free Member

why? in some crashes the bars wanna spin, if you’re worried about the fork crown hitting the frame redesign your downtube like everyone else has. What added value do you get from stopping the forks spinning?

unfortunately alot of bikes, especially with 29ers, mean that the bars hit the toptube. My scott scale bars hits the top tube if they get that far. In that count its actually a good worthwhile idea. remember this is an xc bike so everything is compact unlike an AM bike where you can get away with stuff. Seatcollar idea looks pretty smart, dunno about anyone else but i ride an xc bike and i’ve moved my seatpost twice in the past 6 months so its not like i’ll be doing this alot. I actually like the look of the bike, looks pretty fast. I’m sure if we wanted to we could pull most bike designs apart with whats and why’s

richmtb

Well I’m sold

I had my doubts about the design but then the robot told me that the asymmetric design wasn’t based upon “the phobia of symmetry” but the “mathematics of truth” I was convinced.

njee20
    Free Member

The exact reason Radoggair points out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Within a few weeks of having my Orange P7 in 1994 I had two matching dents either side of the top tube where my bar ends had smacked into it during crashes…

Anyway, I like the bike. I initially wonndered why tf it was such a weird looking shape then I realised it was a 29er.

rickmeister

Probably a lot of the tech stuff re the shock assymetry gets around patents and they put a lot of verbal schnizzle on it to make it sound important….

Anyone remember the Chrysler Turbo Encabulator… ?

D0NK

unfortunately alot of bikes, especially with 29ers, mean that the bars hit the toptube

doh, just remembered levers just about catch the tt on one of my bikes, presumed it was my own levers pointing at the floor setup – fair enough then – I did pose it as a genuine question btw.

binners

Does anyone know what the price tag is? I suspect it’ll be well into

‘What?! You could buy a car house for that!!!! territory

GaryLake
    Free Member

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s a Felt Edict right?

The-Beard

They had it on a display stand at the Scottish bike show in Glasgow a few months ago. I thought it was rather over engineered to be honest, the seat post clamp being my favourite bit of excess. Weight was ok. All in all nothing to write home about, there are way more exciting 29er HT’s out there.

ThePinkster

I’m not over convinces by the single sided mounts on the shock – I wouldn’t betting that’s going to result in a load of uneven bushing wear over time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Apologies If its been done, but what the heck…..’ is closed to new replies.