Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Apologies, but yet another what f/s bike for a grand?
  • piemann
    Free Member

My work are on the verge of implementing a cycle to work scheme. I just need to tell them which one I would recommend (as the only cyclist)
    I’ve got a decent hartail (P7) and a cheapish roadbike that I like too much to upgrade at the moment.

There has been a full-susser shaped hole in my life for a while now, and I’m wondering if a grand will get me something fun? I’m not much of a downhiller, so something for whatever XC/All-mountain is called these days would be ideal.

Any thoughts and/or bargains out there?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Spech fsr xc

Stoner
    Free Member

just looking at the front covers of the lesser mags in WHSmiths and one of them (What mountain bike I think) has a big review of £1000 FS

sofatester
    Free Member

Try a Giant or a Spec.

grumm
    Free Member

Pitch comp?

hora
    Free Member

Pitch – definitely

richc
    Free Member

Can you top up the amount? as some bikeshops let you do this, and there can be a big difference in bikes if you can add £200 or so quid to the amount

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Second the fsr xc, bought one 3 years ago and scared to buy a new/ dearer bike in case I do not like it as much

ampthill

Chris Boardman Middle spec FS

Mas seem to love it. Good spec.

righty
    Free Member

prophet

colande
    Free Member
    Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got an FSR XC Pro too. I like it.

clubber
    Free Member

For bike to work, you (usually) have to buy at RRP so any suggestions above that are discounted won’t be any use unfortunately…

Xan
    Free Member

I just got a Spec FSC XC comp in this way. Apart from a problem with the front shock (very stiff and compression dial not working) I am really happy with this. I have the large that comes with stiff shock and I only weigh about 11 stone so I’m probably a bit too light for it.

Looked at the prophet but is 1100 and you can not add to this. (you need to pay the RRP for the bike. No discount for last years models ect)

Just bought a new dial and spring for £20 and from another post on the forum sounds like that should fix my problem.

As I also said in the other post, just check out where you stand with a warranty before you buy, might not get the full benifit from manufacturers original promise. I have still to have it confirmed to me where I stand with relation to this.

sillyoldman

Aye, but 2008 Prophet 3 was £999, so is C2Wable.

Xan
    Free Member

True, but when I asked halford they told me they couldn’t get me any 2008 models unless they were in stock in one of their stores.

shinsplints

Get a Trance.Bloody luurve mine – as others on here do.The bike,not my,ahem…..y’know…

MrNutt
    Free Member

clubber you’re wrong, that only applys if you go through a third party company, if you run it yourself its better for the bike shop as they don’t have to pay commission on the sale and you can broker what is essentially a “cash sale” 🙂

DIY Bike to work is much better (for you and your company) and a hell of a lot easier than you’d think!

I’d go for the trance over the prophet or FSC meself!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

If you run it yourself then doesn’t your company have to stump up the cash up front (i.e. make the loan to you). The other ‘middlemen’ that run the scheme often provide the loan funds and take 10% out of the money the bike shop gets?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

And if it has to be Halfords then the Boardman FS range are getting good reviews, are a well proven horst link design and are quite light for the cash.

MrNutt
    Free Member

yep your company would have to stump up the initial amount but they get it back and more!

shinsplints

mrnutt – you talks sense,I won’t lie to you…. 😀 Trance is bloody brilliant & I only have the 3 which has a pretty basic Tora Solo Air fork.This will be the first thing I change when cash allows.Rest of kit solid & will only need replacing & upgrading when it wears out.Grips were pants,but we all change grips dont we.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d have a look at those Boardman FS bikes too, I believe the £1k model comes with a 20mm bolt-through Reba – which is a real bonus – and the lower model got a glowing review in WMB.

It’s the bike I’m recommending a friend in same position to look at.

ji
    Free Member

If it is via Halfords, then the Prophet is too expensive, and they won’t get 08 models – that was my first choice too!

Spesh FSR XC is a good option – but was too like my current hardtail, which is why I went for the Boardman FS Team – had it for a few weeks now and am very impressed. Only downsides were the awful saddle, too long stem and rubbish tyres for the sloppy mud hereabouts. I had reservations about the rear shock, which I hadn’t heard of before (RS Monarch 3.1) but so far it has been pretty good. The bike even came well set up from Halfords!

chakaping
    Free Member

ji – Did your bike actually come with the Maxle fork then?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Apologies, but yet another what f/s bike for a grand?’ is closed to new replies.