• This topic has 26 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anywhere decent to ride nead Huddersfield?
  • bigdavevw
    Free Member

Hi guys, i,m going to be in Huddersfield for a few days next week. I want to do a bit of riding, has to be at a trail centre with bike hire, as i,m not taking my own bike.

Also if anyone is up for joining me, that would be great as i dont know the area

Dave

andycs

Loads of great riding in the area but no trail centres. Try local bike shops for hire but not aware of any that hire.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Great riding out near Holmfirth. When are you here- I can lend you my bike and a map with a good set of routes on it? There's no decent bike hire round here.

bigdavevw
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys, hey Spokes, where abouts are you then?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I'm out in Holmfirth. Here and Meltham and Marsden are the best riding in Huddersfield I reckon. I'm biased toward Holmfirth, but I think I know the others are better.

When're you here?

TheSanityAssassin

Are you home atm Luke? Was riding from Compo's today.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I was having a shite day today, certainly not riding. I have Lizzy here now so can't really ride, but if you can squeeze in an hour or 2 next week (before Thursday!) in an evening over here that'd be good.

woody2000

We ride monday nights from Brighouse (10 mins from Hudds). Meet 6.45pm at the Ritz Ballroom, Brighouse, HD6 4AD.

No bike hire though, and you'll need lights 🙂

bigdavevw
    Free Member

I,ll be in Huddersfield from tuesday till thursday. Does your shop hire out bikes? Dont really want to take my one, bit of a hastle without a car.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Dave- the shop I work for is in Scotland. You're welcome to borrow my bike Tuesday to Thursday (you might have to drop it with my neighbour as I'm going on holiday). Depends how "big"/tall you are, though!

TheSanityAssassin

I'm a bit stuck for time next week mate. Plus, I've entered the HVMBC next Sun, so don't wanna bust me nuts midweek chasing you up every bloody hill over there!
    In fact, I'm planning to ride the course tomorrow, but I've not ridden the event since they changed the route so there's a few sections I'm unsure of :-/

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

If you get lost give us a call. Feel free to pop by when you've done- I'm sure we can rustle you up a brew.

bigdavevw
    Free Member

hey Spokes, i,m confused are you in Huddersfield or Scotland? 😉 Very trusting of you to let me borrow your bike, will let u know. Would i be best taking a road bike down with me? Or are there any big hills to ride up?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Road riding is nice, big old hills abound (Holme Moss was a Hors Category climb on the tour of britain and the milk race was always going through here).

I'm in Hudds at the minute.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Luke,

few of us riding Monday night if you're interested, setting off from Jacob's Well at 8 o'clock, will have the bike carrier on the car so you can even get a lift home.

Any good for you Jonny?

Tap.

TheSanityAssassin

No good for me mate. Busy nite is a Monday. Cheers for the invite though.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I've no lights I'm afraid/

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Got no spare to lend you I'm afraid.

Will try to sort something one weekend.

barney
    Free Member

Woody2000 – I think I bumped into you lot last night at the top of Copley Woods (I was on a Singular SS)..

Where did you head after Norland? Over Scammonden way? A soggy ride last night, wasn't it? 🙂

woody2000

You did indeed Barney – we all commented on your bike (and your ability to f*ck off into the distance! 🙂 )

10.40 when I got home last night – we headed to the farm in the middle of the M62, then up and over to Scammonden. Had a few mechanicals though, and with a bit of waiting etc time marched on! Drop me a mail if you fancy joining us 🙂

AndrewBF
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – Member
    I'm out in Holmfirth. Here and Meltham and Marsden are the best riding in Huddersfield I reckon. I'm biased toward Holmfirth, but I think I know the others are better.

Meltham based here, but currently up in Northumberland following K100 and having a holiday.

For riding around these parts: Immediately north and west of Digley reservoir. Over the A635 and take the Harden Hill Road down to Meltham. Up Wessenden Head Rd out of Meltham, before the road turns left (over cattle grid) take the Bridlepath on the right. To the bottom of the field through gate, head left and towards the water station, ford the river/stream and follow the trail all the way to Deer Hill End Rd. Turn right until you come to a main rd, turn left and follow this road all the way towards Marsden (Slaithwaite Rd / Chain Rd) fork left to Carrs Rd at the roundabout left up Binn Rd then follow the track / Pennine Way all the way back to the top near Wessenden Head. Right to the A635, left back towards Holmfirth and then take any of the rights to get you back to Digley.

Digley to/from Hudds is perhaps 5 miles each way.

mos

WOODY2000, i assume the Ritz Rebels thing is some sort of 2 fingers up to the VS monday night 40 poeple along a towpath then uphill offroad & downhill onroad rides?
    Kind of like Batsey & his Teambad thing?

woody2000

Sort of, but not really! It's a long, complicated and silly story. Come join us for a ride and I'll tell you all about it 🙂

barney
    Free Member

Cheers Woody – I may take you up on that. I was riding from Halifax train station; I think I've run into your group once before at the top of Copley Woods. Next time you're over that way I may tag along if I can 🙂

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

AndrewBF
    Traced out your route. It's a good one. Have you followed the track round deer hill res'r and the rifle range? If you follow the track round next to the water channel it brings you out on the pennine way near Wessenden res'r. Nice unofficial track this just don't topple over the edge near the end where it gets a bit sketchy !

AndrewBF
    Free Member

@mtbmarkymark – I was going to suggest that track but it is hard to describe unless you know where it is. It is also prefaced with 'Yorkshire Water – Private – Keep Off – Go Away – Do Not Enter – Turn Around Now' signs so don't want to get anyone into any trouble. I've never been stopped or challenged, and if I did I'd just say that I was on my way to the gun club 😉 Confusingly there is a Bridlepath sign near the reservoir, but the track is definitely horse rider unfriendly and the number of gates and stiles does mean that it isn't intended for bikes too.

On a clear day it is a great ride, fantastic views down on to the reservoirs / Pennine Way. As to your last point… I toppled over the edge a few months ago. I'm a bit more careful these days.

hora
    Free Member

Ah Huddersfield. Where every so often the town planners decide to change the traffic flow in St Georges Square and completely **** it up with another bland idea…..whens the next one due?!!! 😆

I'm guessing those fountains will be turned off in winter for H&S reasons.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anywhere decent to ride nead Huddersfield?’ is closed to new replies.