Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Anywhere, anytime PC access software
  • Mounty_73

Office has a PC and access is required off site by either a laptop or a tablet.

Whats good to use these days?

Mounty_73

EDIT.

We would like to access one or two specific programs that are located on the PC.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what do you mean access?
    Full control – VNC?
    Doc – Dropbox for business, google Drive/docs office 365
    Some stuff – mem stick?

What is the work policy?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK seen edit, what programmes and how are they licensed?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I use GotoMmyPC for work, gives full remote access to my desktop PC, through a website.
    I usually use it from my XP laptop at home, but I can also get onto it through a Android App on my tablet. Copes with everything, even my dual screen setup, just have to pan across and zoom in and out to see everything. Just like being in front of my computer, no problems with connections.

I also use Citrix to connect to another PC based at a customer office. Again, I can connect from a website, so access it anywhere. That one is a bit slow as it has to go through servers in Paris and Aberdeen.

No idea on costs of either though…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

As they’ve said, depends what you want to do and company access policy…

…if I just want to check a file, then LogMeIn or similar
    …need a bit more functionality or access to multiple file systems at the office, then I use a VPN connection and Windows Remote Desktop
    … if the application is graphics heavy then run the software locally and use the VPN connection to remotely access the licenses.

(All on Windows BTW, so Windows VPN and Windows Remote Desktop)

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve found Logmein good for remote access/parental tech support duties.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

+1 for LogMeIn free.

If your firewall /security allows, there are also a number of RDP clients which will run on tablets. I use Rdesktop on my iphone and ipad.

Cougar

TeamViewer is worth a look too. We use LogMeIn day to day for unattended machines though.

Mounty_73

There are only 2 people who work in the office, 2 PC’s.

One worker needs access to one PC, simples 😉

Software includes the following;

Outlook
    Sage
    ACT

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mounty_73 – Member
    There are only 2 people who work in the office, 2 PC’s.

One worker needs access to one PC, simples
    Not really, what is the software, how is it licensed? I sell stuff that can have the license fixed to one machine and is a PITA to run remotely but you can pay more for a floating license. One solution does not fit all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stop editing after I’ve posted 👿

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Outlook easy – read mail from elsewhere – try google mail for business very nice these days and bin outlook.

others no idea, what is your licensing agreement/options and do they offer cloud versions?

Mounty_73

Sage and ACT have 3 user licence.

Mounty_73

Stop editing after I’ve posted

I didnt edit? 🙂

Mounty_73

I need something as simple as possible, as the end user will struggle.

Sage and ACT are used for invoices and customer info. Outlook will be used to send email orders only.

The use will be limited and ideally I need to keep all the use/data in one place, on his PC.

If that makes sense? 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sorry thought you did, install Sage and ACT on the other PC and share the files then. Sort out your mail server to have mail everywhere. No need to remote access.

Mounty_73

The reason for remote access is that I know the end user will need to access further programs and data at some point…quotes, images, word docs and more….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

right then, which programmes – see full story is required for solution – remote access may be better or may not, also depends on what the data security is….

Using some of the modern tools (Google Drive, Office 365, Dropbox) sharing files is childs play so not worth worrying about. Software licensing is by far the harder part.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

OP – to clarify, LogMeIn and the like allow you full remote access to the computer provided that you have admin rights on that PC.

If that meets the requirement then pretty sure the licensing is irrelevant – it’s still the same user and still the same CPU which the software is installed on unless I’m missing something – we use it all the time and can access everything on my work PC from anywhere provided I have an internet connection.

Mikenewsmith is talking about online versions of the software you’re already running on the desktop which is a different kettle of fish entirely and may well have licensing and setup implications but could be a better solution for you long term.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry just pointing out that as we don’t know what “other” bits of software your on about we don’t know how they play under remote desktop apps.
    As you have a spare license for the ones you mentioned then sharing the data is a lot easier.

spooky_b329

There is an Android App called RDM+ that will run on phone or tablet. It basically just gives you a remote desktop.

I use it along with Spotimote, so I can play music from bed and then switch to RDM+ to shut down the laptop in the living room.

xiphon
    Free Member

TeamViewer or LogMeIn both provide good remote access solutions

sharkbait
    Free Member

TeamViewer – very happy with it.

Mounty_73

Cheers for all the advice and info.

Software would be…

Outlook (single license)
    Sage (3 user license)
    Act (3 user license)
    MS Office Word (single license)
    MS Excel (single license)

Just trying out LogMeIn and TeamViewer….

Cletus
    Free Member

TeamViewer is great but not free for commercial purposes.

LogMeIn is free for up to 10 computers so that is the one I would go for.

Toasty

Splashtop is the fastest I’ve seen for the VNC type experience, capable of streaming across fullscreen video and things. Free to download and play with on the local network. Clients for Android/iOS for tablets too.

leffeboy

I use LogMeIn for a similar thing on a computer that has some accounting software on it. It means that the person responsible for the system can logon remotely once the data entry has been done by someone else during the day. It doesn’t allow simultaneous access to the program but it does allow someone remotely to get in and it works really well. You also get an iPad app for free that works nicely as well. For unattended access it is probably simplest and best

Cougar

With respect, you can’t provide the correct solution until you’re able to define what the problem is.

Compare,

We would like to access one or two specific programs that are located on the PC.

I know the end user will need to access further programs and data at some point…quotes, images, word docs and more….

Outlook (single license)
    Sage (3 user license)
    Act (3 user license)
    MS Office Word (single license)
    MS Excel (single license)

Work out what you need to do, future-proof it, and put the correct solution in at the outset.

Is there a server, or is that PC ‘it’? Where does Outlook get its mail from? What happens when two users need to use the PC at the same time? Moreover, what do you want to happen?

andrewdaves
    Free Member

I would recommend GoSupportNow remote support tool for remotely accessing computers from anywhere. It works on both MAC and windows.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Anywhere, anytime PC access software’ is closed to new replies.