Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyway to fix an ovalised bearing socket?
  • D0NK

Due to inept spannering, late night and grumpiness the suspension bearing I was pressing into my frame went in wonky and I ended up belting it in straight with a hammer. It seems the socket is now ovalised and any bearing I press in (tried another pressed in carefully) won’t turn very well. Refit the swingarm and the axle just turns in the bearing race which will obviously rapidly wear the axle.

Any fixes or is the frame shagged? Ream the socket? Manipulate it back to circular again?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Ream oversized then mount bearing in epoxy with aluminium / steel filler. Getting a good alignment will be the toughest bit and critcal. Look up moglice. They use a expoxy system like this for repairing worn machine ways.

D0NK

Cheers.
    Sounds easy 😕
    Gonna take it to a workshop see what they say. Interested in what others may have done tho.

andyl
    Free Member

I’d probably ream it round and machine up a shim that the bearing fits in and bond the shim in with some sort of very strong loctite.

mudsoul
    Free Member

As others said: ream and then try a bearing retaining compound. I successfully fixed a friends ovalised frame linkage this way.

SirHC

Gluing a bearing in is a temporary fix, like Andy I’d suggest visiting a machinist, machine the hole a bit bigger and fit a sleeve or you might be lucky and fit a bearing with a larger od

TheBrick
    Free Member

Gluing is no more temporary than a shim if done correctly. It is a valid engineering practice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyway to fix an ovalised bearing socket?’ is closed to new replies.