Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyway to check whether a spring is Titanium or not?
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Got one for sale on a bike and just thought that the only reason I ‘know’ it’s titanium is that the previous owner told me it was. Can I check easily? Don’t want to cause problems down the lines if it’s not ti!

Cheers

racing_ralph
    Free Member

magnet

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ah yes, good plan!

GW
    Free Member

unless it’s painted it should be pretty obvious

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

A magnet might prove it’s not Ti but won’t prove it is, as loads of materials, stainless steel for one, aren’t magnetic.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

can you submerge it in water to measure its volume, weight it, then calculate its density?

oldgit
    Free Member

Cut it in half with a grinder. If the sparks are yellow it’s steel. If they’re white it’s Ti.
    Don’t actually do that coz I might be wrong.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve never seen a painted Ti spring only some heat treated ones that go rainbow.

If it’s painted I very much doubt it’s titanium. If it’s titanium, the spring will probably have a slightly matt/dull grey appearance.

Post a picture

thomthumb
    Free Member

A magnet might prove it’s not Ti but won’t prove it is, as loads of materials, stainless steel for one, aren’t magnetic.

never seen a stainless suspension spring. does anyone make them?

wwaswas

I use a polished brass spring for that ‘steam punk’ frame look so my bike would fail the magnet test too.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member
    coolhandluke
    Free Member

can you submerge it in water to measure its volume, weight it, then calculate its density?

+1

julianwilson
    Free Member

usually fewer coils for a given spring weight in a ti spring. Unless you weigh 20 stone, the one in the photo looks like a steel spring painted grey.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

what julian just said.

that’s steel.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

That’s just the standard 5th element steel spring I’m afraid….

Holmesey
    Free Member

buy another Ti spring and also a steel one. then put your spring in your right hand and pick the others up in your left hand to see which is most similarest. then try to sell your two buckshee springs on here to other ppl with the same Ti spring conundrum

HTH

Pieface

Ti melts at 1650, steel at 1300

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Ti springs make vampires eyes water!

goog
    Free Member

Specsaver’s?

ahwiles
    Free Member

if it’s heavy then it’s probably steel, if it’s 100grams lighter, and cost £200, then it might be titanium…

Holmesey
    Free Member

I went to an interview last week wearing a painted steel spring round my neck

the bloke in Top Man swore it was a Ti e

xiphon
    Free Member

Standard 5th spring, sorry

skiboy
    Free Member

only non-magnetic stainless is non-magnetic, plenty of magnetic stainless around,

i’m +1 for the displacement caluculation method too 😀

scruff
    Free Member

Nice frame, good look with the sale. Good thread idea for druming up further interest aswell. 😛

antigee

stainless steel for one, aren’t magnetic.

depends on the type of stainless steel – 2 basic types

austenitic (to keep it simple contains Nickel as well as Chromium)most common type as good corrosion resistance and is non-magnetic

Ferritic stainless steel contain less (or no) Nickel and are hardenable through heat treatment and are commonly used for springs – so expect a stainless steel spring to be magnetic

molgrips
    Free Member

If you take it off it’ll be obvious, it’ll feel much lighter than you were expecting.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Some good answers, the obscurer the better please. (Even though I know the answer now)

Genuinely wasn’t a way to publicise the sale!

messiah
    Free Member

This is what happens when you go outside with a Ti spring.

toys19
    Free Member

+1 Horatio.

In the absence of some fancy kit then the density method is the way to go.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyway to check whether a spring is Titanium or not?’ is closed to new replies.