Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Anything worse than a common cold?
  • dazh

I’ll probably be told to MTFU here, but after suffering the past 4 days with no voice, a throat that feels like I’ve drank a pint of acid, headaches like the worst hangover imaginable, sinuses that feel like they’re going to explode, and now a steady production line of green slime from my lungs, I’ve come to the conclusion that the common cold really is the worst non-lethal illness out there. Anything to beat it? I had norovirus last year which was pretty horrific but at least that had the benefit of losing the best part of a stone in weight.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A proper hangover.

MrSmith
    Free Member

norovirus

dazh

Think I’d prefer norovirus. It’s undoubtedly worse at it’s peak, but only for a day or so, and a damn good way to shed some pounds. I’m actually putting on weight with this latest bug as all I’ve done for the past few days is sit on my arse watching telly and eating ice cream.

mintimperial

I had an absolute monster of a cold last February. I couldn’t sleep, lost half a stone in weight, started coughing up blood, and the doc sent me for chest x-rays just to be on the safe side. “Just a cold” pah.

You have my full sympathy, although if you want a silver lining at least you’ve good a good excuse for staying inside in this stupid weather…

bearnecessities

Stones.

pondo

We had the father in law pop round at half nine – half past nine! – last night, to see what the plasterers had been up to, that was pretty rough.

wombat

2 common colds

njee20
    Free Member

Cat AIDS?

2 common colds

Even 1.1 common colds would be worse frankly.

mattbee

Nah, you can only get cat AIDS once.

njee20
    Free Member

Even the bad kind?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

An uncommon cold .

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Anything worse than a common cold?

One that’s been to Eton, apparently.

djambo
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO8x1jmmiJA[/video]

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

norovirus

norovirus and a bad cough

wilko1999
    Free Member

Mumps with orchitis 🙁

Rorschach
    Free Member

Divorce

dazh

Mumps in adulthood

*shudder* I never had that as a kid so have always lived in fear of it as an adult. The mere mention of anyone with any contact with it makes me run a mile. Thankfully it seems quite rare these days.

hooli

Broken ribs and a cold/cough

wilko1999
    Free Member

It is quite rare, but unfortunately if one member of your rugby team gets it, and you all share water bottles (and snog in the showers after 😀 ) etc you can guarantee it will spread like wildfire. It spread to both my balls, right first, then as that one was getting better it made its way over to my left. Words cannot describe the pain. Although the swelling looked impressive, imagine balls the size/shape of big baked potatoes.

Mackem

Coldplay is definitely worse.

leftyboy
    Free Member

+1 Broken ribs and a cold/cough

kudos100
    Free Member

Either this is an april fool or you are an utter fanny.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Proper Flu – it really does feel like your going to die, joint pains that even co codamol 30/500 won’t touch a hideous fever which can only be described as sticking your face in the oven for 10 mins followed by sticking it in the freezer. You have to crawl to the toilet. I now have a flu jab each year as being bed bound for two weeks is not good.

Kidney Stones/Infection – projectile vomiting, feverish symptoms, pain that has you curled up in a ball and pissing blood. The good news is that it can be treated by blasting it out and peeing the debris out, a ureteroscopy isn’t pleasant but it’s better than the stone pain.

Having a hypoglycemic attack, full on sweat fest and feeling pretty grim.

dazh

Either this is an april fool or you are an utter fanny.

If you ask my Mrs she’ll tell you that I’m not particularly ‘stoic’ when it comes to being ill. I’ve got zero patience for it. I think one of the problems of a cold though that makes it worse is that people expect you to be able to operate as normal. At least with the flu/norovirus etc you know you’re going to be out of it for a week at least and can give up any hope of normality, but with a cold you feel like you’re being a wimp for letting it stop you doing stuff.

edit: I’ve had flu, thankfully only once, and yes it is much worse. I did actually think I was going to die.

globalti
    Free Member

Food poisoning from eating melted and re-frozen ice cream in a hotel in Pakistan – nearest I’ve ever felt to death. I was absolutely amazed at the volume of liquid that came out of both ends of my body.

Harry_the_Spider

Saturday night ITV.

tthew

This.

rene59
    Free Member

Being bummed.

tthew

^ he makes a fair point.

mattbee

I had manflu in conjunction with a bruised sternum, that was singularly the most miserable I’ve been for a few years.

scaled
    Free Member

Our household has just recovered from a bout of food poisoning, not particularly terrible in itself however, when you throw a 2 week old baby in to the mix as well it became pretty bad.

Trying to work out which of you is going to finish puking first to go and attend to the baby kinda sucks.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Anything worse than a common cold?’ is closed to new replies.