Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anything to topple the Jones?
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I caught the whiff of Spring the other morning.

About this time last year I suffered from an irrational urge to cut back on road riding, and take up bikepacking. I came close to buying a Jones, but decided I might not be a mountain biker at heart.

Perhaps I should do something about MTB’ing this year…

Is there anything around which is similar to the Jones? I’ve seen a photo of the Surly ECR. However, maybe I should start out with something a bit plainer and cheaper – retrobike stylee.

ontor
    Free Member

Nothing similar. Quite a lot of stuff that’s better, assuming you judge a bike by angles, ride, materials, price, etc instead of niche.

Surly ecr/karate monkey/Hunter cycles frame etc, etc, etc.

My Karate Monkey is the most fun bike I’ve ever owned pound for pound…

ratherbeintobago

Fargo?

Clink
    JohnClimber
    Free Member

For carrying gear the ECR ticks the boxes but it may be a bit heavy for some.

For lighter weigh and if you don’t want stuff on the front forks look at the up coming Titanium Travers Angus (mine arrives next week :wink:)

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks! I’ll look into those.

What I liked about the Jones was its amazing handling, position, and the handlebar shape – I don’t think I could ride any other type of bars due to hand problems.

jameso

Depends what you want it for really. I use it for local SS stuff and loaded bikepacking trips and still can’t see anything out there that interests me more for what I do on it. The geo/fork/bar combo is just unique.

Northwind

deejayen – Member

Is there anything around which is similar to the Jones?

singlecrack
    Free Member

I was on the verge of getting a Surly ECR …but decided my Fargo is just as good if not better …but I’ve also used a Karate Monkey and an On-One Fatty both were fine…just different

Candodavid
    Free Member

Jerry, your new salsa looks nice, have you picked it up yet?

deejayen
    Free Member

I’ll have to admit defeat – what does a pile of twisted hosepipe represent?

Are you trying to say the SpaceFrame’s a mess…?

I thought the ECR might have similar geometry seeing as it has Jones’ handlebars. I know the Jones isn’t for everyone, but I suspect it would be ideal for me. Any alternatives would have to be very similar in terms of riding position and handling.

The Stooge looks interesting. However, I can’t really tell how it would compare.

houndlegs
    Free Member

No idea about the bikes, but as an alternative bar, what about humpert space bugels?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Hi Dave……no ..tomorrow hopefully ..

singlespeedstu

The geo/fork/bar combo is just unique.

Nail on head.
    I’ve owned/ridden a lot of rigid bikes and none of them feel anything like a jones.

jameso

I thought the ECR might have similar geometry seeing as it has Jones’ handlebars.

Not very similar – the Jones has a different HA/fork offset combo with different rider positioning to make it all work. The ECR is slacker with less fork rake and longer wheelbase so will be less nimble / more stable, and those big tyres will add some steering weight (though if you put a knard front on a Jones the HA will work out very close to the ECR) The ECR has a fair bit longer reach also, the Jones feels unusually short at first but that’s where it gets the playful handling from, the grips are way behind the front axle, it’s almost like a DH bike set up in that respect. How it manages to still be good to ride long distances I’m not so sure, it just does. All that aside, if I wasn’t going for a Jones the ECR would be on the test-ride shortlist.

humpert space bugels?

Got some of the same bars here – nice bars for a city bike but too narrow for MTB really.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s very helpful. If I do buy a mountain bike, I think it’ll have to be a Jones.

singlespeedstu

I’ve been riding one on and off since 08.
    I’ve kind of gone off rigid bikes just now but I still ride my jones a fair bit.
    It doesn’t really handle like a rigid at all. 🙂

deejayen
    Free Member

Nice!

jameso

Does well for the touring, bikepacking, wherever you like thing. This one has crossed 3 countries now, and a good chunk of the Alps. One more country coming up, hopefully done by end of week after next.

Apologies for the triple though. It’s a tourer, what can I say. Gotta stay on-trend : )

scotroutes

I’m confused. You want to try bikepacking but only if you buy a Jones? Methinks you are missing the point somewhat. Buy a cheap 29er, fit it with Loop bars if you want, and go riding.

vorlich
    Free Member

Well, I just bought a cheapy Jones off here (diamond/unicrown) and am very pleased with it. I’m still tweaking the stem/saddle etc, but it’s clear to me already that it’s brilliantly conceived.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Cheapy jones? People sell them on? where!?

tazzymtb

I may sell mine as according to ontor they r shite..so I can give up the niche, ignore my own opinion from 25 years of mountain biking and go back to what ever he thinks is accepted… 😆

vorlich
    Free Member

People sell them on?

Only to upgrade to spaceframes. 🙂

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

If I may interject, I do believe the Singular Gryphon has a reasonably similar geometry to a Jones, a 3/4 Jones if you like, though, from what I gather, a superb bike in itself and way more versatile than just a drop-bar mtb, especially now after some tweaks. The headtube is tall, ut the forks are short, so I think the top of the headtube only comes in at 15mm higher than a Karate Monkey (which does have a short HT). I hope this makes some kinda sense though!

singlespeedstu

As the owner of a jones and a gryphon they ride nothing like each other. 😆
    Both great bikes but quite different.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Ah fair enough then, disregard what I said, I always thought the geometry of the two looked reasonably similar. More so than anything else………bang goes that idea then! 😳

flashes
    Free Member

Having had lots of rigid bikes, the Jones has gone the Karate Monkey I still have. As Ontor said £ for £ still the most funnest and adaptable bike I’ve ridden…..

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks. I might try and see if I can get a test ride on a Karate Monkey. Do you run them as singlespeeds?

EvilE
    Free Member

I know there are a few Jones test bikes about, where abouts in the UK are you?

timbur
    Free Member

People SELL Diamonds to buy Spaceframes.
    Oops, don’t tell the Mrs, it appears I have a perfect pair now 😳

CheesybeanZ

Had a ride on a steel space frame jones today on trails I hadn’t riden before .couldn’t believe how light and movable the front was , stayed on line through some very rooty sections even with a clumsy oath onboard .
    As a comparison I have a Ti Blacksheep and Salsa Mariachi , the jones was a better ride iMHO .

biff

A test ride with an open mind is the only way to find out if a bike suits you and your riding. It’s how a bike rides that matters. Anyone wanting a test ride is welcome to email me and I’ll see where a bike might be.

Blinkered sheep can go flock themselves.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

biff – Member

A test ride with an open mind is the only way to find out if a bike suits you and your riding

Agreed, I wouldn’t use my Spaceframe for bike packing as there it’s much room for frame bags and the saddle on mine is too close to the rear wheel that I can’t get a large seat pack in the gap.

Try a diamond framed Jones, ECR or maybe a Travers, (see below).

iolo
    Free Member

Excuse the stupid question. Do they only come in one geometry?

JohnClimber
    Free Member
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anything to topple the Jones?’ is closed to new replies.