Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anything specific about Formula rotors ?
  • weeksy

Just bought a rather bargainous kit from Formula in Italy, which comes with 203 rotors and fitting kits.

However, i’ve got 4 wheels for the bike, all of which are currently running 180’s. Various makes/models.

Sadly, the kit only comes with 2 x 203’s … i’d need 4 to complete the kit of course… but these are £40 a pop !!!! not that much more than i paid for the whole kit !!! So i was debating running 203’s on the front and 180’s on the rear…

hence, the question :

Is the anything specific about Formula rotors that means i should ideally run them with the RX setup i’ve just bought ?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve used a variety of rotors with Formula brakes, no problems.

The only difference I’ve found is that the Forumla ones with two rows of parallel holes wear quicker than any other rotor I have had.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Guessing you’ve still got the 180 adaptors? Why not just test them?

Formula like all other brake manufacturors will only allow you to use their rotors and pads with their brakes otherwise the warrenty is void as they’re product is tested to work with those bits…. so just a word of warning… but other than that there shouldn’t be any problems I did struggle with hope floating rotors on my Formula T1’s but my riding buddy managed to set them up just fine so swings and roundabouts.

weeksy

xc-steve – Member
    Guessing you’ve still got the 180 adaptors? Why not just test them?

I’ve got no issue doing that once they arrive, however it could have easily transpired with “nope, they don’t fit because of…..” so i wouldn’t have needed to mess about trying them only to find that they were incompatible. So asking here means i can fit them pretty safe in the knowledge they’ll work, instead of me shelling out £80 on a new pair of rotors.

xc-steve
    Free Member

haha I’m sorry forgot I was writing on STW where every question should be implied as its a harsh critique to that person’s intelligence… my mistake 😀

Forgot to add Formula rotors are usually slightly narrower as Formulas calipers have less roll back/margin for error than other systems so if your struggling to set them up that’ll be why.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Well, if you find you need 2 more then email me, I’ve got 2 ‘new’ ones with formula adapters.

I tried them for 2 rides and you have to be some serious DH type to need them here in blighty, otherwise they just wear your pads out. The only place I can think they would help is the alps, even then my 180/160 did me OK.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anything specific about Formula rotors ?’ is closed to new replies.