Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anything I should get from Ikea for the bike cave?
  • bentudder

Aside from eleventy-billion tealights and a small piece of occasional furniture with a name that sounds like a particularly Nordic sexual favour only dispensed in houses of ill repute favoured by professional footballers, does anyone have suggestions for things that are quite handy to have for the bike shed? I’m looking at some big storage tub type things for the Udderlet’s grotesquely large collection of garden toys, but any s thoughts would be most welcome.

I should point out that, despite harbouring a stinking case of manflu this week, this visit has been in the diary for months. There is no escape.

hammyuk
    Free Member

They do a new blue bag now with a zip for the car 😉
    Have a look in the section by the checkout – racking, bookcase, worktops always in there very cheap.

kcal

They have very strong kitchen magnet strips – for knives / utensils really but they’re great for the bike cave.

richmtb

Their magnetic knife holders are also excellent for tools

EDIT

Beaten to it!

molgrips
    Free Member

They do great garage shelving, also hooks for bikes etc. Storage is what they do best.

bentudder

Thanks, Hammy! I’m lucky enough to (mostly) ride from home, but the zip up bag sounds like a winner for away trips. A kind neighbour gave me their old kitchen worktop the other day, and it’s almost the right length, so although a worktop would be aces, buying one so soon after receiving a freebie may be frowned upon when we have Other Important Interior Decoration Stuff to sort out…

bentudder

Thanks all – the tool strips sounds awesome.
    I’ve got a load of old but amazingly well made double-width filing cabinets and big storage cupboards from a friend who works at an engineering company holding tools and stuff at the mo – trying to sort bike storage properly, so hooks sound like a great idea.

Yak

Despite the recommendations above, what you will get is a good dose of ikea induced shopping rage. There is nowhere better designed or laid out to infuriate as much as ikea. I don’t envy you.

molgrips
    Free Member

I bought an 8ft length of bright yellow (and I mean bright) worktop for £5 from the bargain corner. It was almost as if someone regretted ordering it… 😆

martinhutch

Workbench?

Yak

wtf. If I use that as it appears then it will be a shitfull

RustySpanner

Shoe rack.

cloudnine
    Free Member

They do loads of cushions, throws and soft furnishings.

MoreCashThanDash

Meatballs, obviously, and their cheap pear cider and the hazelnut chocolate bars.

Show your wife the soft furnishings thread before you go.

bentudder

There’s a soft furnishing thread on here? Help me.

Yak

Bike-cave indeed

bentudder

One of my bikes has turquoisy accents. Teal, I think it’s called. Might go well with pink, actually.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AARGH

Stoner
    Free Member

I stole myself for an Ikea trip yesterday.

The Landrover and I braced ourselves, took our time, left the house at 10 and got home at 4. With everything we went for (except for waste paper bin, couldn’t find it). I managed to stay calm and focussed all the way round. Mini Stoner’s room is nearly done.

The Trofast tubs and frames are pretty neat for chucking stuff in.

And as a treat for me, a stash of jars of pickled herring and two bags of meatballs 🙂

bamboo
    Free Member

The kitchen utensil trays are excellent value for money and if you build/acquire any drawer units for tool storage they do a good job of keeping things organised – they cost in the region of £1 each, and are well worth it

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40177228/

The plastic bag dispensers for £1.50 which you can mount on the wall and then use as garage rag dispensers are very handy too

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80010222/

SamB
    Free Member

left the house at 10 and got home at 4

Christ almighty, sounds like a nightmare! I find the only way to get through Ikea is to fill one of those bags with soft toys at the start, then put them in various draws waiting for people to open them. I was particularly proud of the lobster-in-stove-pot I put together on the last trip 😀

This also seems appropriate, having just popped up on my news feed:

http://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/026_viz238_Ikea_Game.jpg

Stoner
    Free Member

Christ almighty, sounds like a nightmare!

As long as you use the time constructively it’s fine…..
    …you know what to do 😈

rickmeister
    thestabiliser
    Free Member

…a big box of MTFU. And and incense burner and some throws and a futon and a nice runner for your workbench….

ThePinkster

The small wooden boxes with drawers in (no idea what they’re called) are a godsend for screws, zip ties, etc.

Got 2 in my garage.

Cougar

…you know what to do

I once ‘armed’ an entire display of Tickle Me Elmos in Toys’R’Us. It was touch and go as to whether the shelf was going to collapse or I was.

theteaboy
    Free Member

We went recently. I got some rails to fix to walls for hanging stuff on.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50072645/
    and
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70271093/

£2.50 per set well spent!

And meatballs, obviously.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

15/20 on the ikea or death quiz.

northernmatt

They do flip top glass bottles that may be useful for homebrew if they can withstand pressure.

bentudder

Thanks all.
    About half of my garage is filled with empty beer bottles for a homebrew project at the mo. 🙂
    Funnily enough, I’ve got a stainless steel rack and a rail similar to the Bygel one that I took from the kitchen when we moved in. One’s holding my Wingnut and lids, the other my cycling shoes. But at the price the Bygel thing’s going for, I might get another for wet outer kit.
    Ta!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anything I should get from Ikea for the bike cave?’ is closed to new replies.