Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anything else like Midge bars but…
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

a bit more roadie? Like not quite so extremely flared

Have midge bars on my CX and the classic roadie never feels quite right with normal bars, any suggestions?

(or if you have some midges for sale in 25.4, preferable silver, that might just do)

joshvegas
    Free Member

Do you mean like randonneur bars?

I love them on a relaxed roadbike.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’d also love a super shallow drop road bar, with less flare than the midge. Not as much drop as bar above /\

RestlessNative
    Free Member

kinda, still quite a drop though init, what ones are they?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I’d also love a super shallow drop road bar, with less flare than the midge. Not as much drop as bar above

yeah that’s what I mean, you’ve obviously drunk less than me tonight

joshvegas
    Free Member

Drop isn’t too bad as the centre bulge is kinda low. But i have them mounted higher than my fast bike. So the drop are probably half way between the drops and hoods on my fast bike (in relation to the saddle)

Dunno the brand of those there are variohs makers. Mine are old gbs nitto make some too.

Try shops like practical cycles and velosolo for possible options.

emanuel
    Free Member

trying out salsa cowbells on my next bike.
    feel like fsa omegas with more flare.
    I’d look at those two.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I can recommend Soma Portola bars. I tried the Midges, but could never quite get the feel of them, bit too wide, drops bit too small etc.
    I have a set of the Somas on my CrossCheck and they have a nice shallow drop, but still enough grip on the drops and enough bend for the levers. Available in 44cm, if I remember correctly, but only with a 26mm bar clamp. I know they also do a 31.8 called the Junebug, which is slightly wider as well and an even wider one called The Gator (I think).

RestlessNative
    Free Member

The narrow er portola look like they might be just the thing, where did you get them from bw?

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

It was a shop on Ebay called Fine-Bicycle, based in Edinburgh. I had a look today and there aren’t any advertised at the moment, but if you message them or VeloVitality, they might be able to get you some?

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Failing that, have you considered Moustache Bars?

nedrapier

I went from Midges to Cowbells. Midges were good, but I like the flat of the drop to be close to horizontal, and that doesn’t give you a good position on th drops.

I’m very happy with the shape of the cowbells, but I went for Max Width for control on all the critical, tech off-roading I do. But I think 44 or even 42 would have been better.

These might be worth a look.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/genetic-digest-drop-handlebars-318-mm-black-prod37032/

pics of them fitted: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=johnclimber+lauf+bars&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoA2oVChMIlKrD8umvxwIV5ZbbCh0TuQBT&biw=965&bih=471&dpr=0.9

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

The Digest are a nice bar but much more like a Woodchipper – wide and very flared.

Drop bars not bombs

RestlessNative
    Free Member

ordered somas from singlespeed.nl, cheers

OCB
    Free Member

I know you’ve ordered now, but adding to the list for completeness, in case anyone else wonders the same kinda thing.

Salsa Cowchipper.

emanuel
    Free Member

they out yet?can’t find them anywhere

Sam

Really like the Cowbell, very excited about the Cowchipper!

nedrapier

Yup, I’d be getting the Cowchipper if I was buying today. What i wanted when I bought the Cowbell, really!

slimjim78
    Free Member

thread resurrection..

how many of you have had the chance to try out a set of cowchippers yet? If so, how have you found them?

I haven’t been able to source 46cm versions anywhere other than the US or a pricey German set as yet.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anything else like Midge bars but…’ is closed to new replies.