Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anything better than Hope XC for the money?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I need a pair of 29er/700 wheels. I’m not entirely sure that bike will fit into a particular category but it’s going to be a sort of gravel/utility bike/monstercross frankenbike.

I probably won’t want tyres bigger than 2.0″ or narrower than 40c; would a pair of Hope XC wheels suit the bill and is there anything else I should consider around the £300 mark?

PJay
    Free Member

Any thoughts or anything else I should be considering?

weeksy

They’re what i’ve recently bought and they’re lovely 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ferrals
    Free Member

Think Stans crest wheelset would be fine too? Not seen prices recently but they used to be available for around £320

Brianblessed
    Free Member

Hope all the way PJay, you know that 😉

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Ive been pondering the same issue….my wheels need replacing, due to cracks round the spoke hole…
    I’ve decided to go for hunt for a couple of reasons. Half a mm wider internal, lighter than hope xc, have a weight limit of 115kg loaded and come with tape and valves, plus the adaptors I want.
    If they mess me about though, it will be the hopes!

weeksy

My main reason/thoughts were based upon my LBS retailing the HOPEs, even though i paid a bit more, he won’t mess about if any issues/problems, they’ll just be sorted. Customer service is sometimes worth a little extra.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

if it’s more gravelly/road then some handbuilts with Hydra rims and Hope hubs would be potentially tougher with higher pressures. But if it’s lowish pressures then the Hope hoops are good VFM.

steve_b77
    Free Member

DT Swiss that fit the budget, Mavic that fit the budget, Stans, something built by Superstar or American classic

PJay
    Free Member

I do like my current 26″ Hope wheels (Pro IIs). The current Hope XCs come with Pro 4 hubs; I realise that they’ve changed the freehub but will my current crop of Pro II tools work or will I need a new set?

whitestone
    Free Member

A quick search and it looks like the Pro 4 uses the same tools as the Pro 2 Evo

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anything better than Hope XC for the money?’ is closed to new replies.