• This topic has 48 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Anything as bright as an exposure 6 pack?
  • burko73

I got an exposure toro. It’s on my bars and great, really useable light. I can see that in super twisty stuff it would be nice to have a head mounted light as well but it’s not essential. It’s not always about lumens, design of the beam plays a massive part. The exposure stuff is expensive but just works so well and is so self contained I don’t think you can beat it.

convert

Strangely I don’t really think of the 6 pack as a stupidly bright light. Well it is but that’s not the point imo. It’s a quite bright light that can be quite bright for a very long time. A 24hr event or long distance rider’s light.

There are other better lights (even in the exposure range) that burn plenty bright enough for plenty long enough on their higher settings for the usual evening ride where I think the 6 pack is not only overkill but just physically bigger/heavier than needed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I got an exposure toro. It’s on my bars and great, really useable light. I can see that in super twisty stuff it would be nice to have a head mounted light as well but it’s not essential. It’s not always about lumens, design of the beam plays a massive part.

Disagree, bar light is a nice to have, helmet light is where it’s at. Why would you not want a light that points in the direction you’re looking?, unless you’re looking down at the ground in front of you, a common mistake.

The only time I ever use a bar light as opposed to a helmet is if it’s proper foggy.

DrP

I make no qualms abut being an exposure fanboi..!!

I’ve tried cheapo lights, and ridden with people with cheapo lights.
    Yes, for the most part they work. However, by definition, if they stop working then you’re ‘left in the dark’..

I find that though they are pricey, the beam pattern, reliability, and ‘all in one package’ of Exposure lights makes them, well, ruddy brilliant!

DrP

benp1

Anyone have any ideas what the battery capacities are in the big Exposure bar lights?

Website says
    Six Pack Mk7 has a 15,500mAh battery
    MaxxD Mk9 has a 11,600mAh battery

For starters, and on the basis they are using 18650 cells, and if they’re running at 8.4V, the battery capacities should actually be half what they say. They’ve just added the total sum of each battery’s capacity

So 6 pack is 7,750mAh 8.4V battery and MaxxD is 5,900mAh 8.4V battery

MaxxD cells are therefore 2,900mAh cells
    How many in the 6 pack?

I was trying to gauge runtime on my bar light. Different light (Nitefighter BT40s), but I’m running 3,100mAh panasonic cells, so I have 6,200mAh 8.4V battery, which put it above the MaxxD in terms of capacity. My battery seems to last AGES with the light on low

iainc

OP – I think we have discussed before, I have new Joystick on lid and current Maxx D on bars. I have run a MaxxD/Joystick combo through their various iterations over the past 7 years of weekly use.

IMO the only benefit of the 6Pack over MaxxD in current guises is battery life. The MaxxD on high in reflex setting has enough burn time for most people’s evening rides of a couple of hours. It fully lights the area in front of you, with the Joystick lighting where you are looking.

vincienup
    Free Member

Ben, without going on a serious dig I’m not sure but it’s possible you’re attempting to compare apples with apples when one is actually an orange…

‘18650’ refers to the package size of the cell (18×65) and not really what is inside. It’s possible the cells Exposure are using (!) could be Cobalt Li-ion (LiCoO2) and your cells Manganese Li-ion (LiNiMnCoO2) for example, in which case the Cobalt Li-ion cells would have nearly half as much charge capacity again at the same output voltage for given size of package. The cobalt version is much more expensive. At a much lower level you see this with domestic batteries such as MN1500/LR6’s – not all alkaline LR6’s will power a known device for the same period.

It would be interesting to know, but I’d be a little surprised if it turned out Exposure were deliberately doubling their battery capacity figures and hoping no-one ever called them out on it – their brand is based on quality lights after all…

chilled76
    Free Member

Iainc cheers matey, it’s the brightness I need. I ride in a group Tuesday night and the lumen wars are meaning my pupils are dilated, then when I’m suddenly away from the group I can’t see. Figure the only way to get on is to out bright everyone!

benp1

@vincienup – thanks. I was using the simple 18650 analogy as their head torches run with normal 18650s (as do their piggy back cells I think)

But it might not be that simple. I thought I’d worked it out OK with the MaxxD with 2,900 cells but the 6 pack then confused me

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anything as bright as an exposure 6 pack?’ is closed to new replies.