Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • anyone xc race with a Turner flux?
  • sefton
    Free Member

Anyone raced a Turner flux? hows it compare to other FS race bikes you’ve raced.

100mm forks and light gear can easily see them low 20’s weight wise.

frames around 5.5lb I think

http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/09-flux-dwl-setups-speccifications-453883.html

fatgit
    Free Member

Hello
    Not raced one but have seen a medium built with bling kit and the owner claimed it was 23 lbs.
    Not confirmed but it was a lump lighter than mine-a large at 30lbs 🙁

Cheers
    Steve

njee20
    Free Member

Well if the frame weighs 5.5lbs you’d be able to get it to within 1.5lbs of the lightest FS bikes basically!

You’ll see a bigger discrepancy between frames of the same size than you will a medium to a large, people get too hung up on that!

sam_underhill

Mines around 25.5lbs with xtr kit and AM classic /stans wheels and light-ish tyres – including pedals.

Caveat for all the pedants: I haven’t independently verified the accuracy of the scales, and the weight is just an estimation.

sefton
    Free Member

what do you reckon the elite FS race bikes weigh in at?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

medium dw frame is 6lbs

mine is 25lbs with

Hope Pro 3-Stans Crests/Middleburn Duo chainset/XTR cassette-shifters-deraileurs/Thomson masterpiece seatpost/slr saddle/hope xc stem/controltech scandium risers/Look 4×4 pedals/SID Team 100mm forks/Maxxis Ignitor LUST 2.2/Avid BB7 brakes and ultimate levers/Gore rideon cables.

The brakes and pedals could be lighter, and maybe the cables could be lighter.

So I think it would be a bit of sweat to get it really light – but the suspension design is really efficient which probably would offset a lot of the weight.

njee20
    Free Member

what do you reckon the elite FS race bikes weigh in at?

Varies, some are incredibly light, some less so.

Christophe Sauser is very anal about weight, his 26″ Epic was c19lbs. Others are less fussed, Adam Craig has been on QR15 forks for a couple of years, think his Anthem Advanced is about 22. There are Scalpels knocking around below 19lbs, they’re about the lightest, but more like soft tails than true FS.

Edit: 23.63lbs with single ring etc.

sefton
    Free Member

lets see a pic Turner guy 😉

njee20
    Free Member

The brakes and pedals could be lighter, and maybe the cables could be lighter.

Everything on there could be lighter 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

I’d be replacing those:

Maxxis Ignitor LUST 2.2

Big, heavy and draggy, not to mention un-needed with Crests. Just get some 2.1 eXception series Ignitors 🙂

PS. Do they even make a 2.2? Isn’t it 2.1 or 2.3?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

lets see a pic Turner guy

its on that mtbr page, near the end.

Just replacing the sids with some magura durins…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Big, heavy and draggy

I meant 2.1 XC Ignitor Lusts:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17346

rickon
    Free Member

I meant 2.1 XC Ignitor Lusts

Yep – that’s a pound in weight you could save if you went to standard eXc versions…

Depends if you fancy thinner sidewalls, and are not the type of rider to bang against sharp things.

Still those LUSTs are 700g – which is pretty darn heavy for an XC tyre.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Still those LUSTs are 700g – which is pretty darn heavy for an XC tyre.

you’re not wrong – I just weighed one!

Still, they seem fine and with tubeless I think I prefer a little robustness and air retention – I just went out to the garage and the Bonty MudX’s on there at the moment are flat 🙁

Gives me a chance to test out my new Topeak Mountain pump which is supposed to shift enough air volume for tubeless inflation.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Gives me a chance to test out my new Topeak Mountain pump which is supposed to shift enough air volume for tubeless inflation.

let us know if that works, stopped using tubeless because don’t have garage nearby with compressor that fitted/worked

rickon
    Free Member

Turnerguy – may sound daft, but are you using sealant with your tyres?

I’ve found the bonty tyres required a couple of days of swashing the sealant around the tyre for them to seal fully, especially around the bead….

I’m on XR4s at the moment, as I’m enjoying hacking the bike downhill and chilling out on ascents, rather than storming about everywhere – so the thicker sidewalls and more grip is preferable to my bonkers light RoRos.

njee20
    Free Member

let us know if that works, stopped using tubeless because don’t have garage nearby with compressor that fitted/worked

Choose your tyres better! I’ve got about 8 sets of tyres, two sets of wheels and a track pump, all work!

sefton
    Free Member

got tubeless ready nobbys and have never had a problem in 1year.

(apart from a flat – but just put some new sealant in and bang fixed)!

for the first few weeks they’d lose pressure over a few few days but they seem fully sealed now

track pump did mine no worries too

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Turnerguy – may sound daft, but are you using sealant with your tyres?

yes – stans – but I haven’t ridden that bike for a while (was trying to avoid dog incidents messing with my ski preperation) so maybe the length of time and cold have got to them.

The Ignitors go on with a normal track pump – the MudX’s needed a CO2 cartridge.

Kryton57

got tubeless ready nobbys and have never had a problem in 1year.

(apart from a flat – but just put some new sealant in and bang fixed)!

for the first few weeks they’d lose pressure over a few few days but they seem fully sealed now

track pump did mine no worries too

+1 with Standard NN’s Snakeskin with Stans rims/juice.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Yeah,did the Friday nite summer series last year on one.It a 2011 running Hope/Stans/Pro 3 ,Easton carbon kit and running 1×10.It is a large and last year weighed 23.5 lbs with XT gear.Recently put some XTR on so should be lighter.Will have to get some new photos up!
    Thanx Max

sefton
    Free Member

thats really light!

what forks mate?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Is that 23.5 with the pedals on? What pedals?

njee20
    Free Member

thats really light!

Not really. If you hung all the parts off my Fuel on a Flux it’d be about 21.5lbs, and you could go lighter!

sefton
    Free Member

thats light in my book 😆

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Fork’s are Sid’s.A lot of weight was lost with the Supersonic x Kings ran tubeless! Took a lot of patience to seal! Yeah,i think it is light enough!

Thanx Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

As i said it now has XTR M980 cranks and rear mech.Will be ordering a Easton EC90 layback post soon too! Currently got mud rubber on so will post a picture of it again with the summer rubber on.
    Thanx Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Sorry,its an XL! The pedals were Crank Brothers single Ti’s when i weighed it.Favoured Candy SL,s recently though.
    Thanx Max

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘anyone xc race with a Turner flux?’ is closed to new replies.