Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • anyone worth following on twitter?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

just signed up to twitter, time will tell if it’s an utter waste of time. Following simon pegg, stephen fry, richard herring and couple friends-anyone else worth paying attention to?

rOcKeTdOg

@markcavendish even for the pics he posts of @petatodd

flip
    Free Member
    SaxonRider

I’ve been on Twitter for about eight months now, and I still can’t figure out what the hell it’s for.

flip
    Free Member

It was ace during the riots to keep up with what was happening, i was following several news agencies and they updated far quicker than TV 😉

beej

It’s for following interesting people, and getting up to date news. I follow lots of cyclists and cycling news feeds, a few “work” things and the odd random. I rarely post, mainly just links to my blog posts.

CountZero

@corydoctorow
    @williamgibson (@greatdismal)
    @superstripers (just funny observations which make me laugh)

Inbred456
    Free Member

No not ever, none. Twitter and Facebook are social networking sites for people that never meet socially! What the Hell 🙄

lunge

Me – @SteveCold
    @twoptips
    @tomfordyce
    @queen_uk

Plus the usual cycling people.

grievoustim
    Free Member

No not ever, none. Twitter and Facebook are social networking sites for people that never meet socially! What the Hell

There is a certain irony in posting such an unreserved rejection of internet social networking sites on an internet forum

@Grievoustim BTW

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

Lots of bike industry stuff –
    @orangefactory
    @coticltd

@shedfire

@greatrock
    @singletrack_com

@singletrackmag

@nuke_proof

@chargebikes

@iamspecialized
    @trekbikes
    @hansnowayrey
    @Danny_macaskill
    @chain_reaction
    @ukbikeskills
    @doug_basquemtb

@carltonreid

@wideopenmag

Some funnies –
    @shitmydadsays
    @slashleen
    @thepoke

And of course @2wheels1guy!

There’s lots of people on there. Just search for what you’re interested in or look at the followers/following of the people you like.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I was also very cynical until I tried it. But:

Some people can actually be entertaining in 140 characters (but not many) eg: @jimmycarr @madeupstats
    Others are great sources of links you wouldn’t otherwise see eg:
    @glinner (Graham Linehan)
    Some are about the news, or in the news eg: @tom_watson

Just surf it, search for your interests, look at plenty of profiles. It’s not really “personal” like facebook, so you can try out following people and then drop them if you don’t find them engaging. Odds are no-one will notice or care.

It’s good for dipping in & out of – keeps me supplied with entertaining randomness during my commute.

Also, if you’re active on linkedin or facebook, with some minor tweaking, it turns into a nice easy way of updating them on the fly.

DickBarton

I’m not – and I don’t need anyone else to tell me that…I bore myself…

@dick_barton

gonetothehills
    Free Member

+1 for @MarkCavendish and for a bonus, intelligent, quirky and entertaining view of cycling and life in general: @petatodd

@rachelatherton is very good fun

@stevepeat
    @bradwiggins
    @emilybatty

@cyclestore (my LBS)

blooddonor
    Free Member

Why would you want to follow any body, get a f…..g life.

flip
    Free Member

Get a f…..g life!!!!!!

And your on an obscure internet forum on a Saturday night?

Tit.

blooddonor
    Free Member

^^^^you and me bruv 😆

bellerophon
    Free Member

I follow MCN I find it great for motogp (and others) updates, especially when at a highland games meeting and unable to watch.

I was also skeptical at first…. Think I’ll add some of the above

wallop

Yes but flip isn’t the one telling people to “get a life”

blooddonor
    Free Member

Is your life so sad and dull,that you have to follow some two bob celebrity on your phone.
    Go out and build a jump, or a new trail or maybe help out that old lady down your road.

samuri
    Free Member

I was extremely skeptical for a long time. It made no sense to me.
    The best way I can describe the feeling it gave me was being able to read people’s minds. So you get a series of snapshots of what people are thinking about at any one time. Which is quite alarming. It’s not like facebook where you can have a structured conversation with people, it’s like being able to hear everyone talking in the pub all at the same time.

Then my boss told me he used it all the time for industry feeds and I changed my opinion overnight. For up to date, right on the ball information it’s amazing. You get the information right from the horses mouth the second it happens. Just don’t follow people who chat. Follow the things your interested in and leave your friends on facebook.

I hear about stuff on twitter in my industry, usually a week before the industry press start talking about it, and in my game, (IT Security), knowing about threats and risks before they make mainstream is absolutely essential.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m not on Twitter so quite frankly it’s not worth bothering with.

If I was on Twitter following me would enhance your life so shut up! 😡

blooddonor
    Free Member

The big guns are awake, I’m going to bed 🙂

bellerophon
    Free Member

Samurai +1

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+1 for @queen_uk

hummerlicious
    Free Member

You say it’s a waste of time, but I follow and chat to a few mtb folk, the week before last when I was on holiday I arranged a ride up at Cannock Chase and got shown lots of lush trails I’d not done before, so it’s good for something 🙂

Oh and cheers @mattmbr and Co.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘anyone worth following on twitter?’ is closed to new replies.