Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone worked out in Singapore?
  • LeeW

I’ve been asked yet again to go work out in Singapore, probably three to six months but knowing my boss and my last stint away from home, more likely a couple of years. Anyone worked out there for any decent length of time? Will be staying in the Shangri-La so not too worried about accommodation. Is it worth taking a bike out there? Road or mtb? Is there much to do socially? I guess I’ll be working a lot of weekends until the laboratory is set up and operating.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I lived there for 2 years 2009-10 and have travelled there for business for 15 years. I know many people who call it there home (20+ years) and many on typical expat short term postings. I used to work for a company for whom Sinapore was a main office.

I didn’t like it – too hot, too humid, too far from the mountains for skiing. I like cooking for example and it’s too hot to cook and half the time after cooking you don’t feel like eating (kitchens often not air conditioned as the maid cooks or people eat out)

Plus points, easy living for work, short commutes, low tax, close to lots of interesting places to visit if you like beaches especially. I and many great holidays in Vietnam, Cambodia, Borneo for more cultural / nature. If you like Asian girls you will be in heaven (obviously) most of those I know who call Sing their home met and married Asian girls and that’s a big part of the reason for staying.

Biking ? Most Singapore mtb-ers wear Lycra and ride to the coffee shop. Roadies are more serious but go out at 5am to miss the traffic (terrible and dangerous for bikes) and the heat. A good mate of mine out there got into it and did the Huate Route training only in Singapre (max hill about 200m !)

If you want to know more drop me an email with a number and we talk speak over the phone

boblo
    Free Member

I did just what you’re looking at including a 3 month secondment turning into 18 months.

You may know this so apologies if you do:

Get a decent overseas allowance and bank it, you should be fully expensed whilst there.

Get frequent (every 6 weeks) return flights/flight allowances for you and/or your family to travel. Being solo is very poor for home life so don’t underestimate this.

Get yourself a serviced apartment asap and not out in the horrible Gov housing estates. Don’t underestimate how crap staying in a hotel is long term. Just going to a supermarket for normal food and going ‘home’ after work shouldn’t be underestimated.

Behave as you would at home. It’s easy to get seduced by the whole Asian/ex pat way of life but it’s not all that and quickly loses it’s lustre. There’s only so much beer you can drink or pubic scalps a chap can notch up…

Get insurance/medical/repatriation covered by your employer.

Do whatever you can to ensure your current role is left open. In reality, if you’re gone for 18 months your current job probably is too.

Investigate the tax situation. Get paid your salary on shore UK including NI, get your overseas allowance off shore in cash and if overseas for more than 12 months, you may fall between the two tax systems. Bunce but don’t count on it.

Singapore is a nice place to live but you’ll probably miss the seasons and the climate will probably aggravate a Brit. It’s a bit ‘nice’ for Asia but some people prefer that. The niceness is a bit of a thin veneer though as you don’t have to dig too far to find real Asia. Travel around the region is easy too with some very interesting countries close by.

Happy to help offline if you want any more info.

onewheelgood

I worked there for 7 months in 2000, lived in Darby Park apartments which is next to the Shangri-La. It was a bit of a nightmare project, so I didn’t get much time off, but I did like it. Did a bit of cycling – got a BSO left by a departing colleague and used to ride round the island or round the MTB trail at Bukit Timah. That was always a laugh – loads of posers on $6k bikes who couldn’t really ride them, and since I could get round quite happily on a $40 BSO…
    When I first got there I found the heat and humidity opressive, but I got used to it and pretty soon enjoyed the 2k walk to and from Darby Park down Orchard Road to the office in Cuppage Terrace. Although I usually ate out, I did like having the option of cooking for myself – I think I’d have found being in a hotel for that long even more claustrophobic.
    And that’s it really – it is a very small island with a lot of people on it. After 7 months I really was finding it claustrophobic. There was lots to like (the food is fantastic), and I’d probably go back if asked, but I think I’d insist on being allowed out a bit more often!

stewartc
    Free Member

Currently working a lot between HK (my home) and Singapore (my office) so I cant provide as might insight as those who have done long stints there but in regards to mountain biking, there’s not much there.
    Apart from Bukit Timor, Paula Udin and maybe the Butterfly trail which is apparently soon to close, its more of a roadie place and even then that usually all done very early in the morning.
    +1 for onewheel said above, I thought HK was ridiculous for bikes, Singapore takes it to 11.
    As for the rest, if your young and single its a great place to be, good food, good places to drink, lots of things to keep you busy and a large expat crowd that should help you in into the social scene.
    Personal I just don’t like it as im more a Hong Konger but each to their own, go, enjoy, its near a lot of nice places!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve just turned down a move to Singapore. I’ve been there loads with work and love it on an all expensed work trip and staying in posh tourist hotels, eating in nice restaurants on company expenses, but living there is not my bag really. Steaming hot – I don’t mind the heat, but the humidity just gets annoying – also the temperature doesn’t really vary from year to year, so there is no let up, but what does change is the humidity from steaming hot to bordering on amphibious. It’s horrendously expensive, so a decent package is essential if you want to have anywhere near equivalency of standard of living to what you’re used to in the UK, and not a huge amount to do. Most people in my company who go out there usually get fat pretty quickly – a combination of working longer hours (combination of working culture over there and just taking a lot longer to commute and get anywhere) and not doing what they’d normally do in their spare time when back in the UK. Traffic and getting around is horrendous. Also the package on offer for me was not that great, and most of the ex-pats i’d be rubbing shoulders with will almost certainly have been on a significantly better package than me.

On the other hand It’s a great place if you want to use it as a base to travel and see the surrounding region, I really like the far east region, great food, nice people – maybe not so nice in Singapore, but it is a bit of an unusual bubble for that area, a bit like London is compared to the rest of the UK. 6 – 18 months is no hardship, even I could do that, but typically in our company overseas attachments are three years, which I definitely couldn’t do.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve been there loads with work and love it on an all expensed work trip and staying in posh tourist hotels, eating in nice restaurants on company expenses, but living there is not my bag really. Steaming hot – I don’t mind the heat, but the humidity just gets annoying – also the temperature doesn’t really vary from year to year, so there is no let up, but what does change is the humidity from steaming hot to bordering on amphibious. It’s horrendously expensive, so a decent package is essential if you want to have anywhere near equivalency of standard of living to what you’re used to in the UK, and not a huge amount to do.

Agreed. Lovely place to spend a few days with the company credit card, but otherwise, no thanks.

jonners
    Free Member

Been here 17 years, thought about leaving but still here, love it too much. Depends what you like, I like warm countries and hate winter but understand that others don’t. I assume you’re at the Shangria-la service apartments not the hotel, it’s decent, there are others but would stay with that one to start with.

Bring a road bike, there are mtb trails but the road riding is better and traipsing a muddy bike into a posh service apartment isn’t a good look. Anza is a great crowd to ride with, lots of mid week riding and Saturday morning is a big crowd. If you get angry when you see nice bikes been ridden by normal people then you’d hate me – I have a couple of lovely bikes and I’m just sort of ok so sorry etc in advance.

LeeW

Ha! My employer’s overseas allowance is to be honest, a joke. I think I may have to go in a little hard in negotiations for a better one.

Thanks for the advice, it’s still early days yet – I wouldn’t be going until September but it’s given me food for thought. Bit worried about the idea of getting fat (Thanks Wobbliscott ;))

I’d be going out on a tourist visa so 3 month stints and a week home then back. I’ve been told I can get flights for my other half which is one of the first things she asked when I mentioned it to her :/.

Thanks all for the offers of advice, I’ll be in touch if they can sort out a decent package.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

3 month stints and a week home then back.

If you’re even considering that, please make sure that your travel policy is business class for that sort of trip. I used to do Singapore and HK about five times a year each (As well as a lot of other travel) and I would never consider doing it in anything other than a flat bed. No matter how you cut it, it’s a long way, and if you’re doing it that often on your own, get in the front! (Not to mention the Airmiles!)

If your other half is flying, the bitter pill that is a long haul flight may be a lot easier to swallow if she’s given a glass of champagne on board!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone worked out in Singapore?’ is closed to new replies.