Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Anyone work in renewables?
  • andypandy85
    Free Member

Evening all, looking to get some help from people in the renewable energy trade if possible? I’m looking to change career in the near future when my current contract runs out. I’m currently a mechanical aircraft technician supervisor and I’d really like to get in to the renewable energy sector, ideally as a wind turbine technician with the hope of progressing in the industry.

I’m hoping some folk on here will be able to advise me which courses I could look at completing to make myself as attractive to potential employers as possible, and if anyone’s feeling really generous, some networking contacts.

Located in northern Scotland but looking to relocate to central Scotland, Edinburgh-ish.

Any help or guidance would be massively appreciated!

Many thanks 🙂

Andy_K

I did a stint on planes years ago, (sound’s like you’re in Aberdeen – choppers??) and if you’ve got your B1 licence, theres going to be a bit of a pay drop I would have thought, especially if you are working on onshore turbines.

Onshore tech pay is about 19-25k, local supervisors high 20’s IME.

I’m maintenance staff offshore, and working 10 on/10 off. 27 basic, low 30’s after offshore allowance/bonuses etc.

Quite a small industry, so advancement is possible, abeit it can involve the “Dilbert Principle” occasionally!

andypandy85
    Free Member

Thanks for the response 🙂 I’m not licensed, and it’s not Aberdeen I’m at, but not far off…think a bit further northwest along the coast, maybe an hour or so. I’ve accepted a pay cut is a distinct probability, but it’s not all about the money for me 🙂

How do you find offshore work with the shift rotation and such like? In an ideal world I’d be onshore but that’s not set in stone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Andy_K

If you’re onshore you’re unlikely to be working shifts. mon-fri normally, with OT/weekends if you want it.

Offshore tends to be better, but depends on your employer. We have it quite good, 10/10 plus 25 days leave and some bad weather days off, especially in the winter. Last year I worked about 90 days offshore 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Anyone work in renewables?’ is closed to new replies.