Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone work in OR?
  • thepurist

As in operational research. I'm thinking of going back to the rat race and this is one area that's a contender at the moment – might actually get to flex the grey matter again! So any insights would be welcome, eg how's business at the mo, what are the latest 'must haves' in terms of qualifications, skills etc.

TIA

allyharp

I don't work in it, but graduated last year with an MSc in it from Strathclyde.

Fantastic course and probably the best decision I've ever made!

Are you looking to go into an OR career or are you looking to study for a qualification?

thepurist

I'm thinking I need to get a quali to be taken seriously – I've been designing gardens for the last 7 years and have just about given up on it, so thinking about doing a Masters while the economy sorts itself out a bit more. Probably looking for a course down South tho.

What was you background before the course – and why aren't you working in it at the mo???

allyharp

I came from a maths degree beforehand. In my class of 20 there were 7 or 8 of us from maths, plus a handful of engineers. But there was a variety of other backgrounds, so the course I was on at least, is open to many.

I recently took a job in insurance – so I don't consider it strictly OR – but it's not far off, and the qualification definitely helped show my skills.

I finished my dissertation in September and didn't look for any jobs until after I'd finished. Within a month, out of 3 interviews I had 2 offers and the chance of a 2nd interview so I think the prospects are reasonable.

I know Southampton, Warwick and Lancaster all have good reputations for their OR departments.

thepurist

Thanks allyharp – useful info. I'd already spotted Southampton's course and that's certainly commutable for me so I'll do a bit more searching around that one.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I work in and teach OR. I have a MSc and a PhD in it.

It has a very good record in terms of employability and is often an excellent route into organisations, as you have a good technical/quants base but can then move into the management side later on.

Not the sexiest of subjects admittedly, although some areas are better than others. If you need any details regarding good MSc courses (including the one I teach on) then drop me a pm.

GJP
    Free Member

I used to a long time ago. I did my MSc at Lancaster following a Maths degree. Courses with good reputations in the South are Southampton and Sussex.

If no relevant experience then I would say that an MSc in OR or a closely related discipline is pretty much expected, although I don't really understand why unless courses have changed significantly in what they cover.

Most of the people I worked with moved onto management positions some at the most senior levels in all parts of the business.

timwillows
    Free Member

Just moving out of OR myself at the moment, but still managing to keep my hand in a bit at work, throughly recommend it as an interesting way to earn a crust. I am guessing you have already looked at the OR society pages http://www.theorsociety.org/ to give you an idea on the job market. If you are based close enough to Southampton to commute have a look and see if Dstl are recruiting, they used to be one of the biggest OR employers in the UK

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone work in OR?’ is closed to new replies.