• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by SST.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone work in HR / Recruiting?
  • Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Morning all,

I'm updating my cv and wondered if there was anyone on here who looks at 00's of cv's and know whats good/bad?

I'm an engineer looking at engineering roles…Don't want to send it out to lots of people but if there was someone who thought they could cast a critical eye over mine I would be grateful.

Cheers, Dave

fishwife
    Free Member

hi

have worked in HR for about 15 yrs in quite a few different organisations including a year in an aero-engineering firm.

my engineering knowledge is probanly a bit limited but i've got quite a bit of experince in recruitment so happy to have a look

dlightfoot5@hotmail.com

smurf
    Free Member

Review lots of CVs (building up a team at the moment) and recently implemented a new recruitment system, global team etc etc at a Bank.

Happy to take a look – simon At murfin DOT org DOT uk

tyger
    Free Member

Hi Dave, I've just come out of my first ever redundancy which lasted since April.

I have a very sound CV now but it took quite a lot of honing. I start my new job in October but I was sending out between 4 – 6 CVs per day.

There are some points which may help on the applying front and these days it's all about skills and results. A letter of introduction is also a must (again needs to be honed and tailored for every application) plus any recommendations you can add (these are not references). Another tip is to save and send these as pdf files not Word docs as different MS Word versions can change the layout (I can point you in the direction of a free pdf converter).

One other point to remember is that HR have the power to say "No" but not to say "Yes" so avoid them if you can.

Contact me on tyger@talk21.com and I'll proof-read your CV and give you some advise if you want.

Paul

tyger
    Free Member

I've helped a few folk on here already so it's no problem.

tyger
    Free Member

YGM!

iDave
    Free Member

Contact me on tyger@talk21.com and I'll proof-read your CV and give you some advise if you want.

shouldn't a proof reader be able to spell 'advice'?

dobo
    Free Member

when i'm bombarded with cv's and i cant look at or call everyone these are the things i look/skim for

availability/notice period
    relevant experience and how long for (examples of what you did & how you benefited the company)
    relevant skills/training
    What you want to do (if you are interested enough in applying for a position this should be tailored to that position) you may have the skills to be a an IT support bod but if you want to be project manager and the job is IT support its no good to me.

tyger
    Free Member

iDave – yes, sorry LOL!

tails
    Free Member

Hi there I saw this the other day would fish or smurf mind having a look at mine. I'm asking as there is a job on monster I want to apply for, my CV has images as its a creative CV. Unfortunately monster only allow a 500kb upload so I have removed the images meaning I'm 100% relying on my text.

I'm specifically concerned about my opening couple of lines perhaps coming across negative, and to a lesser extent putting my address on there. Is that counting me out of London work even though I state I can move immediately.

Note if your one of the STWers who come on here just to put people down then don't ask for it, I'm quite confident its of a high standard for my experience but would like the advice of those who recruit people.

tyger
    Free Member

Tails feel free to send it to me if you want to:- tyger@talk21.com

tails
    Free Member

hi tyger i shall send it over in five.

tails
    Free Member

you got mail.

tails
    Free Member

Anyone else in this field of work?

SST
    Free Member

shouldn't a proof reader be able to spell 'advice'?

lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone work in HR / Recruiting?’ is closed to new replies.