• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gray.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone work in car sales answer a tech question?
  • theotherjonv

I’m buying a car for my wife – long story but she doesn’t have the credit rating to get the deal from the dealership.

It’ll be her car – so I think for the registration she should be on the V5C as the first registered keeper. The dealer reckons it has to be me because I’m the buyer (under finance) and hence for her to be named means if finance defaulted they wouldn’t be able to chase her to get the car back.

I thought ownership and ‘keepership’ were separate things? How do company cars deal with it?

footflaps

How do company cars deal with it?

Employer is listed as owner and on V5C, they just let an employee use it. If you get a ticket, DVLA send it to the employer…

fadda

You’re correct. It even says on the v5 that the registered “keeper” is not necessarily the owner (ianal)

chrissyboy
    Free Member

No, the dealership’s right. If you’re financing the car then the car needs to be registered in your name. No ifs or buts.

Their finance company won’t pay the dealership for your new car any other way.

If you were getting a personal loan from the bank it wouldn’t matter but as you’re getting a secured loan you have to jump through their hoops.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think you sound correct OP.

for her to be named means if finance defaulted they wouldn’t be able to chase her to get the car back.

No; obviously they’d have to chase you since you’re the one who’s bought it on finance, regardless of what it says on the V5!

the-muffin-man

If it’s a car for your wife does it really matter who’s name is on the V5?

Cougar

I’d be asking them to sign a document confirming that they’re demanding that you lie about the vehicle ownership to the DVLA.

If you default, they should be chasing you for payment. The loan is nothing to do with her, surely?

theotherjonv

Not majorly, but I don’t have the time to answer all her parking ticket correspondance and she probably doesn’t want me to see it 😉

irc

It’s up to the dealer/car company/finance company what conditions they have for a loan. So it doesn’t matter that DVLA say the reg keeper isn’t necessarily the owner.

How good a deal is it? Loan elsewhere?

theotherjonv

It’s not a big enough issue for me to have to undo all the finance stuff, i just like things to be correct.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I’d be asking them to sign a document confirming that they’re demanding that you lie about the vehicle ownership to the DVLA.

They’re not demanding that at all. In effect Jon V is actually misrepresenting the true picture to the finance company. If it’s not his car he shouldn’t be financing it!!

It’s not the dealers fault that Mrs Jon V can’t get credit…..

theotherjonv

It is my car by definition; that’s not in dispute. I’m paying the cash, I’m signing the finance docs, if I can’t pay they’ll take it back.

I am the owner.

However – owner does not equal keeper – which is the semi-technical term for person who actually runs the car on the regular basis.

Maybe I’ll rent it to her…. for favours.

Cougar

However – owner does not equal keeper – which is the semi-technical term for person who actually runs the car on the regular basis.

Are you sure about that?

Sundayjumper

Are you sure about that?
    Yes. It even says so on the V5.

e.g. for a leased car, you never own it, but you are the registered keeper.

Sundayjumper
    Cougar

Every day’s a school day.

bensales
    Free Member

Dealer’s wrong. We bought a Mazda a couple of years ago, financed via Mazda (in reality Santander).

The finance agreement and legal ownership of the car is in my name as my wife doesn’t work.

The V5 from new has been in my wife’s name, so she is the legal keeper, and the insurance is in her name as main driver.

Just means answering a couple more questions on the insurance normally, and adds £1 to the premium with Direct Line as keeper and owner are different people.

gray

Technically the finance company could choose to lend the money, secured on the car, even if the owner isn’t the keeper.

However, if I lent money secured on something, I’d be inclined to want the borrower to actually keep the thing they own. Saying, “yes I do own it, but it could be anywhere, certainly not in my possession” won’t help me if I need to repossess it because you haven’t paid up!

It’s a policy, not law, but essentially a sensible and not unfair policy.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone work in car sales answer a tech question?’ is closed to new replies.