Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone work for National Grid?
  • treaclesponge
    Free Member

My other half is in the process of applying for an apprenticeship with them in the SE. Wondered what kind of place its like to work, career options etc. Looks good on paper and decent money for the work.

project
    Free Member

Wondered what kind of place its like to work

Electrifying, and a real gas,

shifter
    Free Member

Could be working in a lot more than one place. Go for electric/transmission, decent money, should be secure.

jamj1974

I worked for Transco, National Grid Transco and National Grid for nearly 10 years and was able to pursue my career positively for the majority of the time. The apprenticeship and graduate schemes can be very good and several of my former colleagues were successful in following either of those routes and have had a lot of fantastic opportunities.

Personally, I found my career stalled at manager level after over eight successful years. I seemed to hit a ceiling – not based on my capability… That proved very frustrating. However I built on the skills, capabilities and excellent opportunities I had gained there to continue to progress my career elsewhere. On balance the frustration has been more than countered by the great roles and people I worked with there and the foundation it provided.

Hope this helps?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Sounds promising then, thanks jamj. Not too ‘up’ on the various options available, whats electric/transmission? (I can guess the electric part)

Any day shift with experience?

shifter
    Free Member

NG now includes the old Transco so it’s gas aswell as electricity.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Definitely recommended, what ever happens to this country over the next 50 years the national grid will still be here.

I don’t work for them but work in the same industry, it’s not as sexy as some other trades but it’s one of the most secure industries in the country now. I spent the first 10 years of my career constantly dodging redundancy in manufacturing. Its nice to be out of that situation now.

NG have very good career development too along with Good pay.

jamj1974

Electricity transmission is the transfer of energy from the power stations to the local networks using the national electricity grid. This involves physical infrastructure but also commercial trading of capacity, balancing of energy inputs and outputs etc…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone work for National Grid?’ is closed to new replies.