Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Anyone work for Citroen on here?
  • hora
    Free Member

I remember a couple of people(?) mention they worked on the technical/dealership side?

I’ve got a 1yr old/20k petrol Citroen C1. I suspect the clutch plates are the size of a button- in the first month of ownership on a 2nd gear climb that became prolonged the car/clutch started slipping. Now at 20k I’m getting a clutch judder when the car is cold (fine once the car is warmed up).

I’ve read in a few places that the clutch is quite ‘weak’? True?

The question is where would I stand under warranty/goodwill at servicetime? From my understanding you can kill a clutch in just one day, its open to poor driving abuse and can be classed as a consumable/wear and tear but I’ve never killed a clutch in any car before.

Thoughts? How should I approach this?

sssimon
    Free Member

Drivetrain in these is Toyota (same car as aygo), mate at local dealer says they are changing loads of clutches in them as they are soft, Toyota cover them but citroen could be different. Girl in my office bought an Aygo for this very reason.

As for approaching this, get it booked in for diagnosis, I’m assuming at 20k from new you have dealer history so you have every reason to expect it to be covered. Don’t go in all Keyboard Warrior though, approach sensibly and you’re more likely to get a better outcome.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Pay to get it replaced. Its a consumable item and you have no idea on how it was treated before you owned it.
    I think I’ve read that the clutches on them go quite quickly, although I may be wrong.

binners

And today’s Hora warranty claim of choice is …. lets spin the wheel folks……

will it be another set of forks? A frame? Some pasty shoes? a telly? More forks? A laptop? Another set of forks? more forks? A seatpost? Some other forks? No…

*drumroll*

its a(nother) car!!!

😆

hora
    Free Member

£699 to replace apparently. I remember a clutch on a AWD Subaru Forester was/is £399. Wow. bigyinn, its a 1yr old car. Binners 😆 superstarcomponents have just (nicely) refunded a scored stanchioned-dropper.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hora, sorry but age is irrelevant.
    As an example, my car was in to get some work done, so dropped car off and went for a ride. Returned from ride, car not ready until tomorrow sir, sorry.
    Dont worry sir, have our brand new loan car / demonstrator for a couple of days. Cue them wheeling out a brand new Suzuki Baleno REEKING of clutch. Some old boy had tried it for the morning, never taken his foot fully off the clutch and killed the clutch. I couldn’t actually drive it up a moderate hill it was so fecked.
    On the plus side I got a Volvo 940 Turbo to play with for a couple of days instead.
    So there you go, that’s why they wont warranty a clutch for wear and tear. If its a known issue then you might be lucky though.

hora
    Free Member

Hence why I said in my OP that you can kill a clutch in one day.

andydicko
    Free Member

Take it to a Citroen dealership and see what they say, if they want to charge ask for some Goodwill, if they won’t play ball take it somewhere else. Clutches are a wear & tear item, but you may get some help/assistance from the manufacturer at 20K/12 months.

bigyinn
    Free Member

So you’re not aware of any known issues, yet you expect us to find you one?
    1st result googling for citroen c1 clutch gives THIS
    Surely the best place to be asking, not a bike forum?
    *EDIT* given that applies to early 2008 / 2009 cars I’d say you’re out of luck on that front.

unovolo
    Free Member

I think you will struggle to get it done under warranty as you said its classed as a ‘Wear and tear’ part,plus you would have to prove it was defective from new which compounded by the fact you have owned and driven it for quite a while seems to show that the car is fit for purpose.

If it was me I’d get a decent quality replacement and find a decent garage to fit it,if you intend to try uphold the warranty on the car then the replacement clutch must be to the same quality as OE I believe.

trail_rat
    Free Member

maybe the c1 was a taxi and its actually done 120k ? 😀 😀 😀

geordiemick00
    Free Member

my 2011 320D BMW had a new clutch in at 30K, it hadn’t gone it just felt like a on/off switch and BMW replaced it FOC and under warranty. The ‘wear and tear’ bollocks can be easily argued with the phrase ‘reasonable’ and it’s NOT reasonable to be expecting to replace the clutch every 20K. If they did, it would be a service item like brake pads…..

bigyinn
    Free Member

Has the OP tried adjusting the clutch cable as suggested in that thread I linked to? Cable operated clutched do require periodic adjustment, so it may just need that.

midlifecrashes

I looked at these, new and nearly new, together with Aygos and Altos. Decided against it after reading Honest John and other reviews. 20k is ridiculous for a clutch. I’d not be happy paying for it myself, and would want a full or significant contribution from Citroen. They supposedly upped the clutch plate from 180 to 190mm because of early failures, but maybe that wasn’t the problem. It’s obviously a car where everything has been pared down to save weight and hence get MPG, so it rides sprightly enough too, but if it’s not durable, what’s the point. I bought a Mazda instead.

hora
    Free Member

Geirdiemick. Perfect wording and spot on. I’ll use that if there are any issues ta. Bigyinn that link refers to older c1’s not post-2009 ta

Pook

Ooh have you shagged your from-new lease hire c1? I wondered why you were on about shelling out on a new car.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Hey hora, e mail me

hora
    Free Member

(I think) ygm

hora
    Free Member

Pook you know I worry about scratching it all the time. Just want a reliable shed now for carparks, supermarkets and biking.

Pook

I’m sure a wise man once told you that getting a lease car would be daft.

retro83
    Free Member

geordiemick00 – Member
    The ‘wear and tear’ bollocks can be easily argued with the phrase ‘reasonable’ and it’s NOT reasonable to be expecting to replace the clutch every 20K. If they did, it would be a service item like brake pads…..

Brake pads are service items ❓

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Sorry but what’s ygm?

orangeboy
    Free Member

You got mail

Gary_C

Check over on the Pistonheads forum, someone started a thread about the same thing on Friday. There maybe more info on there.

Oh, hang on…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Anyone work for Citroen on here?’ is closed to new replies.