Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone work for BT Broadband ??
  • Mounty_73

Does anyone work for BT broadband on STW ?

The problem I am having and had for almost a week now is…

Email is being sent from one account, which (I have been informed is both correct and incorrect) has to go through the BT relay service/email server…

Which is correct ?

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Is it being sent from a BT account?
    I don’t understand the question.

But then again I don’t work for BT either..

Cougar

BT have different ways of transferring email, and inbound or outbound mail may pass through their servers depending on how it’s configured.

Other than that, you’ve given us no information as to what your problem actually is, so *gallic shrug*.

xiphon
    Free Member

Sounds like BT have SMTP authentication on their outbound servers.

IIRC, some ISPs use your connected IP for authentication (i.e. if you’re a BT broadband user, you don’t need to manually authenticate)

samuri
    Free Member

Here’s my guess at what you asked.

Yes. If you are with BT Broadband then your emails will be sent through a BT mail relay/server. In fact incoming and outgoing emails will go through BT relays/servers, albeit different ones. Assuming you’ve got the BT servers set up in your client.

geoffj

The best way to get this sorted is setup a twitter account and tweet BT Fail and a brief description. Seriously.

Mounty_73

Sorry guys I was in a rush…..but…

After spending many hours on the phone to BT and speaking to many different people and getting many different answers….

We have 3 domain names associated with our BT Business broadband, now we have problems in using the email accounts for one of the domain names….this is the error that keeps coming back to us…

Subject: Returned mail: Unable to relay for info@domainname.co.uk (from smtpin.btconnect.com)
    > The original message was received at Tue, 22 Feb 2011 16:27:25 GMT
    > from host86-128-188-178.range86-128.btcentralplus.com [86.128.188.178]
    >
    > —– The following addresses had permanent delivery errors —–

We have been told that we need to sign up/register the domains so that we can use the BT relay service, but then someone tells us we dont……..which is it ???

Drac

Who’s your domain hosting with?

samuri
    Free Member

Do you own the domain? You don’t *have* to own it but if the MX records are not set up correctly then you’ll get errors similar to those you’re seeing. And the best way of making sure the MX records are correct is by owning and controlling that domain.

Easy way to see where things are going wrong is compare a working domain to a non-working domain.

go here http://www.mxtoolbox.com/

And lookup a working domain and a non-working one, check that the MX records are the same for both, if they are then the emails should be getting to the right email servers and it is the ISP that is at fault. If the MX records are different then that’s probably where your problem lies. You need to get control of the domain and get the emails sent to the right place.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone work for BT Broadband ??’ is closed to new replies.