Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone with experience of Montane Featherlite Jackets?
  • pedalphile
    Free Member

I’m looking to get the Montane Featherlite Velo jacket as a “just in case” layer for the trails. I know it’s marketed as showerproof, not waterproof, but is it waterproof enough for getting caught out in unexpected rain? What’s everyone’s experience for it’s water-resistance and breathability? And the H20 version, breathable enough? Or is it useless for sweaty off-road rides? If anyone has any good solutions for packable, breathable, waterproof-ish, and INEXPENSIVE jackets, let’s hear ’em!

CountZero

I’ve got both the Featherlite and the H2O. They’re both great jackets, the Featherlite is really just a windshell that will keep you reasonably dry during brief showers or very light misty drizzle. It’ll help if you wash it in a proofer first to help water bead on the surface. The H2O will keep off heavier rain, but not a real downpour, though it’s much better than ‘owt in an emergency! The wash-in proofer helps here as well. For the money I recon they’re excellent jackets, perfect for sticking in a pocket somewhere just in case, especially the Featherlite. First time I wore one it was a borrowed sample that I was loaned on a ride with a couple of mates. The weather turned cold, cloudy, windy and damp, and I can’t tell you how glad I was of that little jacket in it’s orange-sized bag. Jacket was orange as well.

onandon
    Free Member

Aldi are doing some cheap “just in case” jackets for £12.
    i got one on Thursday and its great for the money .

I figure i wont use it much so no point spending £40

fennerhorne
    Free Member

Yes, agree with the Count above 🙄 I’ve had one for 4/5 years and it’s ideal for the kind of weather we have at the moment (well right the way through until Oct). I always take it out, and it packs up so small you can put it in your pocket, ‘just in case’. I’ve got the featherlite and it’s not even vaguely waterproof – but it’s a comfort, and it keeps the wind out. TBH, I always get as soaked from perspiration, as rain, fortunately my skin’s waterproof; it’s getting cold when you’re wet that’s a pisser, so this is ideal imo

fennerhorne
    Free Member

I got my Montane for £25

Mikkel
    Free Member

Im using one for, i will wear a merino baselayer then the jacket and it keept me warm on those morning with frost.
    at the moment it works fine in rain, i wil get wet but with the merino under it and due to jacket keeping wind out, i will not get cold (unless i stop pedalling)

scruzer
    Free Member

try the montanes for size! They come up very big in my experiences and therfore ‘Sail’ like when windy. I have M and could have gone Sm i think

antigee

have the H20 and its great cos can stuff it in pocket
    and for an hour or so will keep you very dry – accidentally did a summer all day ride in pouring rain and sleeves soaked thru and got cold
    as said sizes are generous
    Mrs Antigee has a featherlite and is a moaner on kit and it gets top marks again not all morning in pouring rain but heavy short showers is fine and because takes no room in pack gets taken out

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

Super item the featherlite jackets/pants. If used with a long sleave then its awsome, if you keep moving then they keep out about 70% of rain. Buy one.

amosridl
    Free Member

Great wee thing, dangles under my seat and is brilliant for light rain and when you get a bit chilly.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Another featherlight vote here, high viz one is excellent in foul weather on the road. I take something more substantial out on the moors though.

pedalphile
    Free Member

Helpful info guys, thanks. It still seems to be a bit of mixed bag on people’s experience of it’s waterproof-ness….but I’ll give it a try and see what happens.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

They are brilliant wind proof, shower proof, sweat free and they pack really small and mine cost me £30 from a shop in Betws Y Coed.

They are not waterproof but they dont claim to be they are emergency the sun was shining when I left the house now its raining. Yes they do come up large but this means you can fit them over a small rucksack.

Northwind

I’ve got a H20 and the gilet… Reasonably raintight, and they pack tiny, so there’s always at least one in my pack- better a less good jacket that’s always with you than an impervious one on the shelf. The gilet’s ace, sure your arms get wet but that’s OK, but it keeps you much cooler.

I’ve also got an Aldi raincoat, which is actually OK, but it packs down to about the size of my head and it’s sweaty as anything.

Clink

As people have said the Featherlite is a windprooof not a waterproof (although it is wind that is usually the problem). It has some ‘shower resistance’ and is excellent but don’t buy it expecting it to be a waterproof!

kona_uk
    Free Member

I have both the featherlite and h2o jackets, both got there use’s and I have been more than pleased with them….they get used on local stuff and carried for that ‘just in case’ moment.

Got mine cheap from http://www.lakesclimber.com 🙂

ji
    Free Member

One of the best buys I ever made – tie it on my camelback so it is always with me on a ride. Pretty much wind proof, more or less water proof, sweat free – but ‘cos it is so small, it is always there, even when you set off it 30 degree sunshine (and come home in a summer downpour!)

grumm
    Free Member

Got one for £20 from lakesclimber too – love it, one of my best pieces of kit. Just what you need for most rides – enough to keep you warm and dry enough.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone with experience of Montane Featherlite Jackets?’ is closed to new replies.