Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone with bad reflux had a nissen fundoplication? Has it affected your riding
  • marmaduke
    Free Member

Curious for some real experiences. How long was it until you were back on the bike? And does it still affect you now?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

alkaline diet?

hora
    Free Member

I used to suffer mental reflux. Chest pain and blood etc..

Turns out I used to eat baked beans for breakie before my weekends rides. Exertion plus beans was mental indigestion for me. No beans = cured almost instantly.

birney29
    Free Member

If you are bad enough to be considered for a (presumably laproscopic) nissen fundoplication, no alkaline diet or any other wonderful forum advice will help.

I got a laproscopic nissen fundoplication. It changed my life overnight. No more reflux. Had it done about 4 years ago.

I was in a fair bit of discomfort the night after the op but it’s worth it. Was out of hospital the day after and back on the bike two weeks later – gently though.

However – I made sure I was in really, really good shape before the op to quicken my recovery. My brother had the same op when he was out of shape and his recovery took much longer.

Any questions, fire away.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

just something i read. Apologies to OP.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

we should all do your research really then before we post. We were only trying to help. Hope you resolve this OP.

marmaduke
    Free Member

Thanks guys for your advice. I have reflux which doesn’t give me heartburn but flows into my oesophagus and has caused a lot of acid damage to my ‘voice-box’ these past few years it sucks coz my voice only really lasts about 3-4 hours of talking a day.(I have tried all medication and totally changed diet).

Anyway, that was good to hear an experience of someone fit so it sounds pretty good. I should hopefully be getting it in a few months and most forums are not full of err larger people.

scaredypants

(wot birney said)

however:

hora – Member
    I used to suffer mental reflux

It’s still going on, lad. Bad as ever 😀

birney29
    Free Member

Oh, and an alkaline diet (whatever that would involve) wouldn’t help. It would make things about a gazillion times worse.

julzm
    Free Member

My OH had a Nissen fundoplication 3 yrs ago. He is a pretty fit guy but had a job which involved a lot of manual lifting at the time so he was off work for 4 weeks. It has completely changed his life and outlook. He has barretts oesophegus which can lead to gullet cancer (his dad died of the same thing) and he always said not to plan for retirement etc as he wouldn’t be around, now he thinks he’ll live forever and he can eat whatever he wants, although he does need to eat slowly as it takes a while to go down.

He had his done privately and it was done by keyhole surgery. 5 smallish (1-2cm) scars on his stomach but no other signs. Took me a long time to get him to look into alternatives but he is really glad that he did it. He lost about a stone in weight as he was on a liquid diet for few weeks and hasn’t been able to put the weight back on, that would be the only downside.

marmaduke
    Free Member

I’m glad it worked out so well for you both. Weight is one thing I’m concerned about because, like your oh, I have very little to lose. Is it hard to keep the weight up because he gets full easier?

birney29
    Free Member

You will lose weight. Your stomach will be smaller than before and swallowing will be tricky.

This only lasts a short time though. I was eating normally within a month.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone with bad reflux had a nissen fundoplication? Has it affected your riding’ is closed to new replies.