Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone with Avid BB7's check something for me
  • theotherjonv

Picked some up off here 2nd hand, however not sure I have the original bolts with them, as when mounted with the tri-alignment washers etc., there’s not much bolt peeking through to mate into the post mount on the forks.

Wouldn’t be so bothered if it was onto an adaptor but going straight into the fork, don’t want to risk stripping the thread.

How long are your BB7 mounting bolts, if anyone could check?

Del

You should have 4mm or so of thread showing.

tjagain

4mm – thats not much – I’d measure it all up including the depth of the holes and buy bolt to suit

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Rule of thumb for thread engagement is no less than 1.5x the diameter.
    M6 bolt needs at least 9mm of thread engaged.

Del

just measured a bolt off a set i have ( also bought SH and not yet fitted ). M6 x 30.

antigee

Have some sat on bench that I’ve had from new bolts as above M6x30

larrydavid
    Free Member

I has this problem with BB7 road versions recently. To stop the caliper fouling the rotor hardly any thread was engaged. I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong.

I got a set of these: https://www.merlincycles.com/avid-post-spacer-set-20s-69933.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=MTB+Disc+Brake+Rotors+%26+Spares&gclid=CjwKEAiAoaXFBRCNhautiPvnqzoSJABzHd6h_cTpn2gTLNUK_XHv0I0LOQ_4hfaLKpY2BEcBAOhUexoC2uDw_wcB and it seems to have helped. They are much longer and have better looking spacers too.

Kahurangi

I replaced mine with stainless bolts, but just make sure you get 1.5x to 2x the nominal diameter in thread engagement and you’ll be sweet.

You sometime have to be towards the lower end of that range on post mount holes because there’s not enough depth to the thread (IME).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone with Avid BB7's check something for me’ is closed to new replies.