Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone with a RockShox Monarch? (TITUS FTM – Brant??)
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

How much shaft shows when its fully compressed? On my fox rp23 the o ring would come off the end, with the monarch it comes to a stop about 7-10mm form the end of the shaft – is that right?

kayak23

Not sure if thats right or not, but I regularly blow the O-ring off the end on big hits on my Mega.
    Pretty sure I can do that with no air in it either but I’ve not tried.

thepurist

Yep (*). To check just measure from the seal to the O ring after full compression & compare against the specified stroke of the shock.

(*)either that or we’ve both got knackered ones.

kayak23

It’ll have a bump stop in it right?
    I guess on bigger hits this compresses so you can still effectively blow the O-ring off but not by hand-compression.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

feels quite nice on undulating pumpy trails but not so great on chattery fast descents

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have one and the o ring comes off the end often. Can you get volume reducers for monarchs?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

if it went any further the rear tyre would hit the seat tube also

thepurist

The Monarch on the Carbon FTM has a spacer in it to reduce travel a couple of mm (to 48 from 51 iirc), but mine has a bit more shaft than that left showing after full compression.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

ah right no probs – cheers for that

Andy

The Monarch on the Carbon FTM has a spacer in it to reduce travel a couple of mm (to 48 from 51 iirc), but mine has a bit more shaft than that left showing after full compression.

Thats my understanding & its to stop the wheel hitting the seat tube. Seem to remember On One described it at the time as “Custom Tuned” 😆

rob-jackson
    Free Member

lol

rob-jackson
    Free Member

brant confirms that it is a 200x57mm shock (for length purposes) with a 51mm stroke (for travel purposes) incorporating a stopper

climbingkev
    Free Member

I kept blowing through all the travel on mine (NP Mega) spent a tenner on the adapter to adjust the IFC(?) pressure on mine. Initial car park, hop, wall drop, flight of stairs testing suggest its a different shock – in a good way!

I_Ache
    Free Member

That will be the IFP Kev, Internal Floating Piston. Its in the stanchion part and the more pressure you put in there the firmer the damping.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/monarch-ifp-pressure-change-524727.html

brant
    Free Member

The spacer reduces the internal air volume, so the shock ramps up more, reducing the bottom out tendency.

kayak23

Does that mean you can run a little more sag perhaps making it more supple on chatter bumps?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

can ftm carbon owners have a look at whether it is stamped with 57 or 51 on the shock shaft please?

thepurist

Rob – funnily enough I noticed mine said 51 on it yesterday while I was fiddling with the IFP pressure.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Was the ifp pressure easy to change

thepurist

Yep – you just need the adaptor, shock pump & something to undo the IFP valve cover. As kev above says the adaptor is about a tenner online (I got mine here). Take the pressure out of the main chamber, remove the IFP cover with a schraeder valve tool (or I expect a screwdriver could work), fir adaptor to shock pump then thread it into the IFP valve, fiddle pressure as you see fit, remove adaptor from IFP valve (still pressurised so a bit of a pop), remove from pump, refit cover, reset main air pressure, go ride bike.

I did it with the shock still on the bike so it wouldn’t be too hard to do it out on the trail & re-ride the same section while tuning the various settings.

FWIW mine felt a little better (less chattery?) with a slightly lower IFP, but I’m tempted to try it at the extremes (200 & 300 psi) to get a better idea of the overall effect of changes.

superdale
    Free Member

200×51 stamped on the shock shaft fitted to a large FTM.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

where abouts is the valve?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone with a RockShox Monarch? (TITUS FTM – Brant??)’ is closed to new replies.