Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • Anyone who rides a bike on the road should read this from WM Police.
  • crankboy
    Free Member

dez report it yours may be the one that tips the scales and makes it a repeated offence.

MoreCashThanDash

And if Hants Police do nothing refer them to the WMP articles….

belugabob
    Free Member

I’ve checked on the Hampshire cops website and they will only do something if it’s a repeated offence, so I’m not going to report the van.

Close pass 2 days out of the 3 I rode last week by this same van…

Sounds like a repeated offence to me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Report it now and then again next time he does it Dezza.

a11y

Definitely report that DezB. I recently reported a close pass (wing mirror scuffed my jacket). GoPro footage passed to police. Few weeks later got letter saying they were passing to Proc Fiscal (I’m in Scotland) looking for prosecution – can’t recall the offence mentioned. I was surprised but encouraged.

Saying that, I’m unsure what the outcome was for this driver who took me out (aptly given the main topic of WMP’s blog) at a junction 12 months ago, I enquired but got fed up asking for the outcome:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5te204282Ww[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

I’ll give em a ring when I get home. If they’re not interested I’ll email the copper I used to play footy with. He’ll go and give em a dig or 2 😉

maccruiskeen

I’ve checked on the Hampshire cops website and they will only do something if it’s a repeated offence,

They can consider this the first record of the driver’s repeated offences . You could maybe ask them how and when they intend to review their policy in the light of WMP’s now much publicised initiatives at the same time. I’m not sure why road safety should be a postcode lottery.

DezB
    Free Member

Reported – untaxed, unmoted van, registered 150miles away. Guessing they won’t be able to track him down…

nbt

in which case, since he’s passed you that close twice this week, perhaps having someone in that area around the time you normally pass through might bag them an easy collar

maccruiskeen

untaxed, unmoted van, registered 150miles away. Guessing they won’t be able to track him down…

Dammit – I went to all the trouble of training for and obtaining a career in international diplomacy just so I could declare immunity whenever I behaved like a prick – turns out all I needed to do was forget to renew my MOT. Its the perfect crime. 🙂

singletrackmind

You certain of that plate?
    Looks like HVP or HVF ?
    Either way that bloke needs his licence revoking. That is a deliberate aim at the cyclist , and its not as if it was a timing error and there was an oncoming vehicle that he either could ne be arsed to slow down for, or the oncoming vehice was going very fast so appeared very quickly. The other side of the road is empty.
    Where’s Chuck Norris / Jack Reacher when you need them most?

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely the right plate. The pass was even closer on Weds morning, which is why I remembered the busted mirror.
    If they do find him, he loses the van, so at least there’s that.

Funnily enough, as I turned right shortly after that, i waved thanks to an RAC van that waited for me, and he waved back. I reckon he’d seen the pass and was kind of saying, ‘we’re not all like that!’

neilthewheel

Well, I emailed my Police and Crime Commissioner (does he commission crimes?) about this with a link – and heard nothing. After a moth I sent a reminder and 2 days later got a phone call from an Inspector at the traffic division who was polite and sounded interested but said “we don’t have the resources”. However, I did persuade him that making the public think you are doing it is nearly as helpful as actually doing it so he agreed to talk to the press office about a possible publicity thing.
    Not very encouraging really.

richmtb

Apparently the polis Strathclyde’s finest Police Scotland are planning a similar approach to WMP.

Link
    *Warning link contains Tory rent a quote bullshit*

Wonder if I’ll spot them on my commute

xyeti
    Free Member

Did the Police say where the van came from? I’m almost certain i’ve been skiffed by this van, and i’m almost cure its the same one that threw a can of beer out of the passenger window at my mate?

aracer
    Free Member

I read it just to see what the idiot said.

lightman
    Free Member

Its a few years ago now, but I had had enough of the fast close passes on one ride, so I found a device by the side of the road and attached it to my bike and found it did the trick 🙂

The road I was on was quite narrow, so vehicles couldn’t really get past me if something was coming the other way, but it didn’t stop some of them trying!

Bare in mind, it only stuck out 6-8″ more than my handlebars, but that didn’t stop one A***hole still trying to get me with his wing mirror!

chakaping
    Free Member

Do they do an aero version?

sirromj

He added drivers had wound down their windows to congratulate him on the tool

I bet they did.

aracer
    Free Member

It seems that the idea is spreading:

http://road.cc/content/news/215826-close-pass-policing-could-be-rolled-out-16-forces-yours-one

I note that Hampshire Police as mentioned earlier in this thread are taking it up, whilst I’m hoping that “the information gathering stage” quote from my police force isn’t just weasel words for ignoring it.

DezB
    Free Member

Hants police would be busy if they did this on my commute! Bet they don’t bother…

garage-dweller

DezB agreed and they were in the news yesterday crying out for more funding so can’t really see it being a priority.

Shame really as some of the roads in Portsmouth and Southampton particularly are crying out for some robust roads policing generally as they are not a nice place for any road user with an ounce of sensibility (and I say that from the perspective of someone who drives on them far more hours than I ride).

Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Anyone who rides a bike on the road should read this from WM Police.’ is closed to new replies.