Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Anyone who laughs get it…………..Bumbags?
  • ton

after 2yrs of not wearing one, i seem to now despise the feeling (clammy, cold, sweaty) of a rucksack on my back.
    so i am gonna try a bumbag.
    nowt to big, waterproof, tiny flask, butty size is ideal.

reccommend anything?

crikey
    Free Member

Do they do them that big?
    . runs away quickly… 😉

crikey
    Free Member

More seriously I used to use them for fell running, try Pete Bland sports or Running Bear in Alderly Edge.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As posted many, many times…..my bumbag story;

I remember a long time ago, a sales event, hosted by a major US bike manufacturer.

They told us all about their new range of fanny packs.

‘We’ve got the small fanny”
    Sniggering

‘We’ve got a medium fanny”
    Gentle guffawing

‘We’ve got a large fanny”
    Starting to lose it now, the audience were in tears

“And, finally, this year, we’re really proud that this year, we can finally show you our new, extra large, expandable fanny”

Falling off chairs

PiknMix
    Free Member

Lowe alpine do some good ones, as do Solomon.

rsvktm

OMM do ultra running ‘waist pouches’. Used it for running, mountain biking and commuting. Mines a pouch 6, not overly waterproof but light and comfy.
    Good to see that you can get out and about again Ton.
    Peter

ton

crikey……..bastid 😆

flash, big fanny man me………… 😉

cheers all.

tazzymtb

try a wingnut…no sweaty back and you have a big cock n balls

PMK2060

Rose bikes do a good frame bag which should hold all you need. A bit more manly than a fanny pack 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

project
    Free Member

in motion products do one, they ued to be called mike dyason.

yep and ive got one.

2 bottle s and a lunch box, with azip.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Osprey do two “lumbar packs” (I guess it stops the sniggering), the Talon 4 and Talon 8. I haven’t used them, but they seem to be as well reviewed as the backpacks, which are very good.

ton

i had a wingnut a few years ago, it was good.
    but i dont ride for more than a couple of hours without a stop now.
    so a bumbag will be ideal.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I reckon that a bag ould be better round that front than the back. Perhaps call it a bawsatchel or maybe even a scrotchel – i think bawbag has been trademarked.

Trekster

Saddlebag+frame bag?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Was gona say Wingnut!
    I bought one on your reccomenndations Tony! 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

a lunch box, with a zip.

ojom
    Free Member

I use an Ortlieb model. I am also the coolest person you know.

I also paint warhammer 40k figures.

You should use a bumbag.

ton

i saw you warhammer thing on FB………. 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

i saw you warhammer thing

ojom
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s part of my life again. Amazingly Wife thinks it’s cool….

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Good man Ton.On the last Pootle I was the only one with a bum bag, hate the claustrophobic feel of wearing a sac on a bike.

Got a Lowe Alpine with compression straps, couple of pockets and lots of adjustment. Had it for years and its been pretty indestructible. Cannot see a name on it but it’s about 2.5/3L.

hels
    Free Member

I hate riding with a backpack – fit a couple of bottle cages, a pump mounted on the bike, decent sized saddle bag for tubes and tools, waterproof and muesli bars in back pocket. All good.

Trekster

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/talon-4-p178587
    Been thinking about one myself. Got a PlanetX one somewhere needing new belt clips

dogtiredandwired
    Free Member

I’ve recently gone back to the bumbag as well. Got one of the Osprey Talon’s – really good, really stable. Carries all I need for a short blast over the hills.

I think I’ll stick with camelbak for all dayers though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Would seem to be guaranteed to get totally soaked and caked in mud ?

rOcKeTdOg

jandd (2) by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambalaya – may have a point. I like the bumbag/small sac combo for ultra marathon running. FWIW, I have a Lowe Alpine one (but not much to chose between brands IMO) but have never used it on a MTB. Very convenient and easy to swing round and access, but would the bottles get covered in crap? That’s the main reason why I use a sac and (after my cousin’s recent, serious accident) for the added protection. The latter may just be psychological though!!

p.s. on a related point, seems I am the only person down south who uses a bento box in MTB races!

firestarter
    Free Member

Oxford one from motorbike shops are decent size and only cheap mate

Taff
    Free Member

Ha! I found my old one the other day from the 90s in the shed.

PhilP
    Free Member

Wingnut bags are very good. Great quality, relieved my lower back pain as well….

br
    Free Member

tbh If you just need a bit of storage I’d look at bags that attach to your bike.

cheese@4p

I use a runners bumbag by activ8. Its fine and takes a waterbottle, tubes phone and little pump.
    Bumbags are the future

turboferret

How about a sporran?

Something tasteful with a bit of animal would be my suggestion, badger or fox 🙂

Cheers, Rich

jameso

I used to use one many years back but needed to keep it light or the waist strap used to pull and give me bad guts on longer rides.

For that reason I think rorschach’s ‘strap-on fanny’ looks more appealing, if I were into that kind of thing.

Del

having used a wingnut for a couple of years now i’m a bit undecided on whether i would recommend one TBH. they’re fairly light but IME/IMO this is at the expense of durability. zips seem a bit fragile, and i have a hole in the bottom of one pocket, and other areas of wear on the fabric’s face. one mesh pocket got sliced along it’s length as i brushed a rock on holiday this year. ok, the last probably not the pack’s fault. the waist belt is poorly fixed in to the pack, and considering the idea of the design is that this is where most weight should sit, this doesn’t seem so good. i’ve had to repair both sides of mine.
    the next pack i get will likely be smaller than the hyper 3.0 i have, which does offer very usable space, especially with the accessible zipped pockets which are very useful. however comparing something like the osprey 4 or 8, which are roughly equivalent in capacity to the hyper 2.5, for about half the price, i think i know where the money will go.
    it’s a shame as the wingnut is inherently a good layout, and if the materials, fixtures and fittings were beefed up a bit, it would make a good bit of kit fantastic.
    TBH if camelbak ripped off the design then i suspect their implementation would possibly be cheaper and more durable, but i haven’t seen anything from them that gets it quite right, for me.

matt_outandabout

I have an ancient Lowe Alpine one. It is not ideal – needs to be cinched up real tight to stay put, no hydration slot/pocket/holder. But it is one of those bits of kit that keeps ending up out with me – on the canoe or kayak it holds my ‘pin kit’, biking on a cool evening it holds a camera, small bottle and spare top, on expedition it has all my wash kit and stove etc in, it can ‘boost’ my big 60lt pack by another 5lt of food storage as a side pocket etc etc…
    Man, they still make it!

igm

Tony,

I’ve got a decent one that I found again when moving house. I’ll see if I can find it and send it through for you to try.

Iain

Vinte
    Free Member

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=LDsfzJXGAo8[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Anyone who laughs get it…………..Bumbags?’ is closed to new replies.